Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #1
Teflon Skies
Minors (Double A)

Armour Field

Those of you who saw Henry's post with the three concept ballparks will probably recognize this one. Armour Field was designed in the late 80's to demonstrate a neighborhood-style of design as one possibility to replace Old Comiskey Park. The park that the White Sox DID build has received much criticism for being basically a suburban style stadium in a massive parking lot with a remote upper deck. While Armour Field was a nice effort, it probably would have been inappropriate for the south side. The idea of a neighborhood park is to integrate fans into the neighborhood - a scary prospect given Comiskey's neighborhood. Some people attending Sox games are probably glad to have a big parking lot between themselves and the neighborhood. Also, Armour Field had the exact same upper deck issue as New Comiskey Park with the distance from home plate to the front of the upper deck being identical (160 feet) By contrast, the farthest row away from home plate in the upper deck of Old Comiskey Park was 150 feet. This was because stadiums used to be built with the upper decks overhanging the lower decks and using pillars for support. Because of the horror of having some obstructed seats in the high rent district, stadiums of the present now make everybody in the upper deck pay for the unobstructed seats below by sitting much farther away from the game. Armour Field could have reduced it's footprint (one of it's selling points was it's compact layout) even more by going retro on the upper deck. Because of the odd shape of Armour Field, the playing dimensions are just bizarre - short short lines shooting out to humongous power alleys. Sort of a Polo Grounds meets Coors Field. A team would have to have three sprinters in the outfield to try and combat the enormous number of balls that will turn into doubles and triples in this park.

The image I have uploaded is based on the elevation drawings I saw in the book "Green Cathedrals" and on the architects web site. I tried to be as exact and accurate as possible. The only thing I changed was to add two light standards to the outfield. The original design only has lights around the infield. I had trouble believing that would have been sufficient to light a major league playing field.

I don't know the specific dimensions. Perhaps Henry can tack on a footnote if he knows them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teflon Skies; 06-04-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
scoobz0202
All Star Reserve

Amazing.. This is just..wow..
Old 06-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #3
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Very nice!
Old 06-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
PineTar
Minors (Double A)

Based upon the angle of the city background, the location of this park lies somewhere in the museum district (Field Museium, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium). Basically, this stadium would be right next to Soldier Field, not on the south side.

Looks absolutely stunning nonetheless.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
Henry
Hall of Fame

Fantastic Job Teflon !! I was hoping you would try your hand at these three parks

I used the ballpark diagrams and estimate the following...

LF line 295
LF (at bend in fence) 400
LeftCenter (at 2nd bend in fence) 440
Dead Center 425
RightCenter 440
RF 400
RF line 295

The fence in your drawing looks to be what - about 8 feet high ?

(reminds me of the Polo Grounds)

Last edited by Henry; 06-05-2003 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:02 PM   #6
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by PineTar
Based upon the angle of the city background, the location of this park lies somewhere in the museum district (Field Museium, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium). Basically, this stadium would be right next to Soldier Field, not on the south side.

Looks absolutely stunning nonetheless.
The backdrop Teflon picked was an available one - but Armour Field really was to set where Comiskey II sits today.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
Modern Relic
All Star Starter

Another excellent job. Any chance of a version without the White Sox references? Then it could be used for fictional leagues as well.

American Folklore Baseball League (closed): Commissioner/GM - Mudville Nine (ruled!)
Former member of Boys of Summer: GM - St. Louis Browns (doormats!)
Former member of the OTBL: GM - Gashouse Gorillas (also ruled!)

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby
Old 06-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
LedgerSko
All Star Starter

even though I see the point on the perspective its still a damn nice stadium !!
Old 06-05-2003, 01:36 AM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Another great stadium !!

I hope you can make it generic...but I'll still use it if you don't.

Now I only need about 48 more stadiums for my alltime allstar league teams.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:36 AM   #10
Teflon Skies
Minors (Double A)

Yes as Henry said available pictures from the Comiskey area looking north (or any direction) are non-existent on the web. This was the closest perspective I could find - and it's NOT in the museum district - it's actually IN Lake Michigan for anyone who needs to apply that level of geographic precision. I will post a generic version of the stadium this evening.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:42 AM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the generic.

People like you and Henry really add to the OOTPB game and community.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:33 AM   #12
Tyke
All Star Starter

More excellent work! What would the capacity be, do you reckon?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #13
Teflon Skies
Minors (Double A)

I believe the capacity was around 42,000. Here a couple of links that contain further information. The first is the website the designer of Armour Field, Phillip Bess, put together to support his book on the topic "City Baseball Magic":

Armour Field by Thursday Architects

The second is a review of Mr. Bess' s book by the online baseball magazine "The Diamond Angle" :

Magic Lacking in Armour Field
Old 06-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #14
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Love the Polo Ground feel to this park. Collecting your park designs has become a hobby in itself, Tefy. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:49 PM   #15
Kronos
Major Leagues

Thumbs up

Wow..Nice!
Old 06-05-2003, 04:31 PM   #16
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

Awesome
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell
Old 06-05-2003, 08:14 PM   #17
KC
Major Leagues

Like the tribute to Shoeless Joe on the scoreboard.

Ted Williams: "When you foul a pitch off, does it ever smell like scorched wood?"
Mark McGwire: "All the time."
Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM   #18
Teflon Skies
Minors (Double A)

I was lucky with the Shoeless Joe picture. That is the same picture used on the scoreboard in the concept drawing by the architect. A good thing about players from the 1910's and 1920's - if there's a picture of them -there's not usually more than a couple. It only took a few clicks on Google image search to find it.

I see that Shoeless Joe is also not officially recognized for his 3rd highest lifetime batting average because MLB has made it a 5000 AB minimum to be listed. Joe Jackson was 19 AB short...
Old 06-05-2003, 11:44 PM   #19
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

I have every single park you have released...and to tell you the truth...you seem to be getting better and better...that is a scary thought...

Yet another awesome addition to an already impressive collection...
Old 06-07-2003, 07:02 AM   #20
asaintsfan
All Star Reserve

They just keep getting better and better andbetter ..............