Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #1
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

NFL 2019 Thread

Week 1 Predictions vs. the spread...

Green Bay at Chicago(-3)
Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers but not much else going for it, the Bears are on an upward trend and while it will be a competitive game I see the Bears beating the spread handily. PICK: Chicago RESULT: GB by 7(loss, 0-1)

Atlanta at Minnesota(-4)
Minnesota has the superior defense and overall team, but a good quarterback can do wonders for you. I think Atlanta beats the spread and may even pull out a straight up win here. PICK: Atlanta RESULT: MIN by 16(Won 1-1)

Washington @ Philadelphia(-8.5)
It would be a shock to see the Redskins pull off a straight up win but it's
possible they could beat the spread. That said, Philly underperformed last year and I think they will be motivated coming out of the gate. PICK: Philadelphia RESULT: PHI by 5(Loss, 1-2)

Buffalo at New York Jets(-3)
Le'veon Bell gets a new start with a new team and I think he will show he is worth the wait. PICK: NY Jets RESULT: BUF by 1(Loss 1-3)

Baltimore(-5.5) @ Miami
I think the spread is a little conservative here and this could be a cakewalk for the Ravens against a rebuilding Dolphins team. PICK: Baltimore RESULT: BAL by 49(Won 2-3)

Kansas City(-4) at Jacksonville
I get that vegas doesn't like road teams that much but again this seems like a conservative line for a team that went deep in the playoffs. PICK: Kansas City RESULT: KC by 14(Won 3-3)

Tennessee at Cleveland(-5)
Cleveland should be much improved, but I don't know if the two teams are actually that far apart here. PICK: Tennesssee RESULT: :TEN by 30(Win 4-3)

LA Rams(-3) @ Carolina
The Rams are coming off a trip to the Super Bowl but questions remain about Gurley's health and you should never underestimate the Panthers. PICK: Carolina RESULT: LA Rams by 3(PUSH)

Cincinatti at Seattle(-9.5)
Seattle has a run heavy offense and I don't know if there will be enough scoring to justify the large spread. Pick: Cincinatti RESULT: SEA by 1(Win 5-3)

Indianapolis at LA Chargers(-7)
The colts are reeling after the loss of Luck to retirement and the Chargers
are getting better every year. Pick: LA Chargers RESULT: LAC by 6(Loss 5-4)

San Francisco(E) at Tampa Bay
I agree with Vegas that this will be a close game but I'll go with the home team in a coin flip. PICK: Tampa Bay

Detroit(-2.5) at Arizona
Not sure why Detroit should be favored here except the experience at quarterback. Close enough that I'll go with the home team PICK: Arizona Result: TIE(Won 6-4)

NY Giants at Dallas(-7)
A lot rests on Ezekial Elliot's status, but the Cowboys look like contendors
for a super bowl run this year. PICK: Dallas Result: DAL by 18(Win 6-4)

Pittsburgh(+5.5) at New England
Two good teams, this could actually be a close game or end up with a Steelers win. PICK: Pittsburgh RESULT: NE by 30(Loss 6-5)

Houston at New Orleans(-7)
This looks like a blowout waiting to happen. PICK: New Orleans Result: NO by 2(LOSS 6-6)

Denver(-1) at Oakland
If AB plays I like the Raiders here. PICK: Denver Result: OAK by 8(Loss 6-7)

Last edited by monkeyman576; 09-10-2019 at 01:48 PM.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:03 AM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Oy, this reminds me to get the loser game up again.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I am a Chiefs fan. I think we had a great draft and acquired good free agents. Super excited about Mahomes. NOT excited about the season. I am snakebit and tired. Will still be the Patriots in the AFC Championship. Even against the Chiefs, the Pats will win. Last year's AFC Championship just took every wind from my gut. I see Kansas City is just insane bonkers and tv personalities are calling the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Not buying it. The Pats may not go to the Super Bowl, but they will still one up the Chiefs. I may be wrong. But just remember this post when the season is over.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sold on the Bears. My coworker thinks they will go to the Super Bowl but i'm not sure they will make it to the playoffs. They were not very good before 2018 and that season may be a season of having some breaks go their way. I think 5 or 6 of their wins came against last place teams and 32 were against 2nd to last. They got beat by a more legit playoff team in Philly.
I think they will regress a bit this year but maybe still win the division.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I like the Chiefs to finally get Andy Reid over the hump. They did as well as they did w/a porous, but opportunistic defense. I think it will be better this season.

I'm wondering if the Rams & Saints will have a hangover after last season's enders for them. In fact, the whole NFC is one big question mark to me.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I'm not sold on the Bears. My coworker thinks they will go to the Super Bowl but i'm not sure they will make it to the playoffs. They were not very good before 2018 and that season may be a season of having some breaks go their way. I think 5 or 6 of their wins came against last place teams and 32 were against 2nd to last. They got beat by a more legit playoff team in Philly.
I think they will regress a bit this year but maybe still win the division.
I can see the Bears regressing if they have to lean on Trubisky more this season. They had a fairly healthy season last year but if that changes, we'll see if that defense has the horses to keep it going. They lost one of the most underrated players in the league in Adrian Amos and also lost Bryce Callahan, who was very good in the slot for them last year before getting hurt. Considering the strength of the division I could see the Bears missing the playoffs this season.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I am a Chiefs fan. I think we had a great draft and acquired good free agents. Super excited about Mahomes. NOT excited about the season. I am snakebit and tired. Will still be the Patriots in the AFC Championship. Even against the Chiefs, the Pats will win. Last year's AFC Championship just took every wind from my gut. I see Kansas City is just insane bonkers and tv personalities are calling the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Not buying it. The Pats may not go to the Super Bowl, but they will still one up the Chiefs. I may be wrong. But just remember this post when the season is over.
I feel your pain. I became a Jets fan in 2006 under the promise that the Patriots may rule the division, but Tom Brady won't play forever. 12 division wins in 13 seasons later, I'm still waiting to see if that's actually true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I like the Chiefs to finally get Andy Reid over the hump. They did as well as they did w/a porous, but opportunistic defense. I think it will be better this season.

I'm wondering if the Rams & Saints will have a hangover after last season's enders for them. In fact, the whole NFC is one big question mark to me.
The Chiefs will certainly be an interesting case this season. I'm inclined to believe their defense could be worse this year than it was last year, considering they tore down their only productive element (pass rush) by trading Dee Ford and cutting Justin Houston while only getting Frank Clark to replace them (and giving up a ton for Clark; GM Brett Veach has generally shown to struggle with assessing player value at times). Their linebackers still aren't very good (hopefully they get the Darron Lee that picked Stafford twice in week 1 last year and not the Darron Lee that has played poorly for most the rest of his career), and that secondary will once again be picked apart by good QBs. Kendall Fuller is talented but he's a slot corner that they play outside; otherwise they have nothing of note at the position. Tyrann Mathieu should upgrade on the back end for them but hopefully with his injury history he doesn't go Eric Berry on them.

All in all I think the Chiefs defense will be bad enough that Mahomes will put up video game numbers again, but it's just tough to beat a team like the Pats in the playoffs, who never let any unit get as bad as the KC linebackers and corners unless they have a ton of injuries.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
I can see the Bears regressing if they have to lean on Trubisky more this season. They had a fairly healthy season last year but if that changes, we'll see if that defense has the horses to keep it going. They lost one of the most underrated players in the league in Adrian Amos and also lost Bryce Callahan, who was very good in the slot for them last year before getting hurt. Considering the strength of the division I could see the Bears missing the playoffs this season.
Yeah im just wondering if the bears defense is legit or was it just playing bad teams. To me it looks too much like the raiders 2016 season. The raiders offense looked good but there were a lot of close wins.
That division doesnt seem to have a dominant team right now.
Any of the other three could be the 2018 bears this season and then no playoff next year.
As long as we dont have to watch the patriots in the super bowl again this century i would be happy.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Yeah im just wondering if the bears defense is legit or was it just playing bad teams. To me it looks too much like the raiders 2016 season. The raiders offense looked good but there were a lot of close wins.
That division doesnt seem to have a dominant team right now.
Any of the other three could be the 2018 bears this season and then no playoff next year.
As long as we dont have to watch the patriots in the super bowl again this century i would be happy.
They still have the pieces to be a top 5 D this season if they stay healthy imo. We'll see if guys like Akiem Hicks and Prince Amukamara will still hold up now that Fangio isn't running that defense.

Also a factor I forgot about before: interceptions. Their 27 interceptions last season were the most since 2013 Seattle, when teams as a whole threw nearly 20% more picks than they do now. It's likely that number regresses this season considering the amount of competent QBs nowadays and the way teams rarely put the ball in harm's way through the air anymore.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

JaDaveon Clowney headed to Seattle for a 3rd rd pick & 2 defenders.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 08-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Great deal for Seattle, doubly so if they can get Clowney extended after the season.

In other news, bust out your same ole Jets t-shirts. The team will be cutting 68th overall pick Jachai Polite. Meanwhile, the Patriots picked a player a few picks later in Chase Winovich who was more productive in college than Polite, much more productive than his collegiate batterymate, first rounder Rashan Gary, and has had a sensational preseason. I don't know why I put myself through following this team's stupidity sometimes.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I am pretty excited about the Seahawks signing Clowney. I think the LA Rams and San Francisco are overrated this year and the Seahawks have a decent chance of taking the division, and when they do that they seem to do better in the playoffs than other teams.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

AB suspended by the Raiders.

I honestly didn't see this coming.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I doubt it will make a difference, he'll just ask to be traded again and play the victim.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'd hate to see the idiots who would trade a 7th rd pick for that salary & headache. AB shouldn't be playing in the NFL. He should be in playing ping pong in the mental ward's rec room.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I bet someone will(Beckham and Brown on the same team would be sick)
Old 09-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Where is LivnLegend so I can rag on him about his 4-12 Chokeland Faiders?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #18
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

With the AB sideshow in full swing, we'll be lucky to win 2 games this year. Prima Donna wish we never traded for him, he'll be a distraction all season.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Raiders might be able to cut AB w/o owing him any more salary or guarantees.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #20
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If game one is any proof, sitting your offensive players the entire preseason doesn't lead to crisp offenses. As I type this, 6 of 12 MLB games today have as many runs or more than this insomnia cure.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance