Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Any tips on building a farm system?

My "genius" has taken the Rays farm system from top 7 to 19th in just 2 full seasons.
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Hilarious...
Do you know how you did it?
Move top prospects for MLB talent?
Did all of your top prospects pan out and your ML team is in good shape?
The short answer is draft and/or trade.
19th may be ok if your ML team is in good shape.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Hilarious...
Do you know how you did it?
Move top prospects for MLB talent?
Did all of your top prospects pan out and your ML team is in good shape?
The short answer is draft and/or trade.
19th may be ok if your ML team is in good shape.
I traded some that were supposed to be great, but were automatic outs. I've drafted some that are supposed to be great according to the scouts but aren't considered top prospects once they are on my team.

Come to think of it, I can't think of youngster that the game was thought a blue chip who was actually productive.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I traded some that were supposed to be great, but were automatic outs. I've drafted some that are supposed to be great according to the scouts but aren't considered top prospects once they are on my team.

Come to think of it, I can't think of youngster that the game was thought a blue chip who was actually productive.
Well, the top prospect rankings are based solely on OSA potential ratings. If you have a good scout and put a lot of money into scouting (which is well worth it), then your scout's ratings should, on average, be more accurate than the OSA's. So if your scout likes your players but the OSA doesn't, I'd be fine even with having a low MiL system ranking.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I hired the best scout I could within my budget. But I didn't realize til this year that my scouting budget needed to be increased. I don't get why players who've been in the majors for 3 seasons are still listed as top prospects.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

They should not be, not sure why they are.
What is your scouting accuracy set at?
Have you looked at any of these players with scouting off?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is your scouting accuracy set at?
Is that the same as Player Evaluation settings? If so Ratings Wgt 65%, Current year 20%, previous year 10%, 2 yrs ago 5%
Quote:
Have you looked at any of these players with scouting off?
Nope
Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
battists
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings. It could just be that when you started you had a lot of young talent that eventually moved out of the prospects list, effectively lowering your ranking.

Focus more on how the players you have drafted are performing. If they are performing well, and moving up the ranks, then you're doing fine. If you have spare parts at the AAAA level or something, you could consider trading for some more lower minors bodies to see if you can add a little more talent to the system.

What sorts of things are you looking at when you draft players?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings. It could just be that when you started you had a lot of young talent that eventually moved out of the prospects list, effectively lowering your ranking.

Focus more on how the players you have drafted are performing. If they are performing well, and moving up the ranks, then you're doing fine. If you have spare parts at the AAAA level or something, you could consider trading for some more lower minors bodies to see if you can add a little more talent to the system.

What sorts of things are you looking at when you draft players?
Position, current ratings, potential ratings, age
Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
battists
Hall Of Famer

Do you have feeder leagues?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I've got all the leagues. Only thing I changed was placing TB in N.Carolina & making Richmond my affiliate & Birmingham's SF.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #12
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is that the same as Player Evaluation settings? If so Ratings Wgt 65%, Current year 20%, previous year 10%, 2 yrs ago 5%
Not the same, there is a global scouting accuracy setting. It is somewhere in the league setup options.

I play ratings only on the scale you mentioned. I like seeing the actual rating unclouded.

I also play no scouts.
This is arguably the easiest way to play but I find it challenging and fun enough to keep my interest.
Playing this way removes the wondering about what happened and why because the information is completely accurate. It may help in assessing amateur and MiLB talent... it may bore you to death...

I always draft the best player available. I never draft based on need. It is too long before a prospect hits the Bigs to project need.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
psd
Major Leagues

Quote:
I always draft the best player available. I never draft based on need. It is too long before a prospect hits the Bigs to project need.
This is great advice. Never, EVER, draft anyone because of need at that position. TGH is absolutely correct. by the time the player you drafted for need is good enough to help your team, your needs have probably changed. Always draft the best player available. Always trade for needs. You CAN try the free agent route for needs, But I personally don't sign any free agents, especially when compensation is an issue. In my opinion, free agents are vastly overpriced and most are at the end of, or past, their prime. There are some exceptions, but not many. I avoid them. Just my opinion, that's all.

Don Henley

Last edited by psd; 09-09-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Add info & spelling.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote