Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
jofre
Hall Of Famer

RIP - Scott LeDoux

Scott LeDoux (Jan. 7, 1949 – Aug. 11, 2011)
By Ted Sares

If I’m gonna fight in the alley, I want LeDoux with me.” — Pat Summerall
“I get no greater satisfaction than to help a family or a cause that touches lives.” — Scott LeDoux

“You’ve got to look at it (ALS) as a fight in the main event.” — Scott LeDoux
“He was ‘a gentle giant with a heart of gold.’” — County Commissioner Rhonda Sivarajah

In 2008, Scott LeDoux was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Sadly, on August 11, 2011, he lost his fight against this dreaded disease, but he fought it with quiet dignity and great courage. He was 62 years old.

Known as “The Fighting Frenchman,” LeDoux was a rough, tough, 6’2”, 220 lb. road warrior out of Minnesota who fought the very best during the golden age of heavyweights in the 70s. Big boppers like Frazier, Ali, Quarry, Norton, Foreman, Shavers, Chuvalo, Terrell, Weaver, Jeff Merritt, Mac Foster, Joe Bugner, Leroy Jones, Jimmy Young, and Jimmy Ellis, among many others, roamed the landscape.

He worked at his trade from 1974 to 1983. During the earlier part of his career, he met Roy “Cookie” Wallace, Rodney Bobick, Terry Daniels, George “Scrap Iron” Johnson, Ron “The Butcher” Stander and Larry Middleton. Aside from a cut eye stoppage to Wallace in 1975, Scott ran his record to a fine 18-1-1 going into a bout against rugged Duane Bobick (34-0 coming in). The fight between these two Minnesota-born fighters was held at the Metropolitan Sports Center, Bloomington, MN on April 22, 1976.The attendance was a record 13,789. LeDoux lost a UD and then went on to lose to tough John “Dino” Dennis (27-0-1 at the time), and Big George Foreman (42-1when they fought).

After “losing” to Johnny Boudreaux (19-1-1) in a horrendous decision that prompted a grand jury investigation that rivaled Lara-Williams in its unfairness, he stepped up to an even higher level of opposition.

He beat Pedro Soto and Tom Prater before losing a rematch to Duane Bobick (38-1). Then, after consecutive draws with Leon Spinks and Bill Sharkey, LeDoux ran off four KOs including a stoppage of “Big Jim” Beattie (41-7).
Amazingly, LeDoux stepped up to an even higher level of competition meeting Ron Lyle, Ken Norton, Mike Weaver, undefeated bomber Marty Monroe, and then Larry Holmes (34-0) in 1980 for the WBC Heavyweight Title. After his stoppage loss to Holmes in which he was thumbed by one of Larry’s jabs, he would go on to fight Greg Page, Gerrie Coetzee, Gordon Racette, Ken Arlt, and closed out his career in 1983 with a TKO loss to Frank Bruno in London.

His final slate was 33-13-4, but more significantly, he fought seven opponents who were heavyweight champion of the world at some point in their career. He also fought top contenders on their home turf. Scott LeDoux fought tough guys because he was a tough guy during an era of tough guy heavyweights.
After boxing, he went on to a successful political career and won a seat on the Anoka County Board (an exurban area north of Minneapolis) in 2004. His devoted wife, Carol, was elected to the District 5 seat in November 2010 to fill out the remainder of his second term. He also served as the executive director of the Minnesota Combative Sports Commission. He was active in charity work as well. In short, Scott was a credit to his sport and to his community.

He is survived by his wife Carol, son Josh, daughter Molly, and two sisters. He was preceded in death by his first wife Sandy.

If heaven has a Boxing Hall of Fame, I am sure Scott is in it.
May the Lord grant him eternal peace.

“I’m very blessed to have the life I’ve had and to have traveled the world, seen the things I’ve seen. I’m blessed to have had the career that I’ve had.” — Scott LeDoux
Old 08-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

RIP to a true warrior. He fought George Foreman in Utica.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Sad News!

I saw him as a kind of "everyman". Not as colorful as Cobb nor as lucky as Wepner, I always found myself rooting for him.

Whenever I'd think of LeDoux that image of the Boudreaux post-fight fracas comes to mind. As I recall, Cosell was interviewing "Handsome Johnny" outside the ring while Scott was still inside the squared circle in a fit of rage over being obviously jobbed in a nationally televised match.

Out of anger/frustration he launched a misdirected kick that set Cosell's toupee askew while the whole world was watching. I could be wrong, but I don't think he fought on any ABC televised cards after that debacle!

The other thing I recall about Scott was that he had a strong dislike (an understatement?) for his fellow Minnestoa natives, the Bobick brothers.

RIP, Scott.

Last edited by professordp; 08-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Mad Bomber
All Star Starter

I agree with the Professor in that LeDoux was an honest fighter who gave his all every time out, and fought all comers, and generally in their own home town. It is fighters like LeDoux that make the sport great because it is not always about the champions, but sometimes the fighters they have to beat to rise to the top.

There are three things that go on a fighter, first your reflexes go, then your chin goes, and then your friends go.

Willie Pep
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
jofre
Hall Of Famer

He was the epitome of a true professional, willing to take on all comers regardless of location. He was a genuine nice guy both in and out of the ring. May he rest in peace!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
bear
Global Moderator

Heard about his death watching ESPN fights last night. Very sad news, although not a shock given his health problems. Enjoyed him in the ring and on TV. He'll be missed. RIP.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Bogie
All Star Reserve

Rip. He was a very tough fighter and by all accounts a very fine person as well.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
Mark42661
All Star Starter

Everything I've ever seen, heard or read about Scott LeDoux indicates that he was a complete class act individual. RIP Mr. LeDoux.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Lee
Global Moderator

Sad news, LeDoux was an old school warrior and a humble fighter that always gave his best. I actually met him at an AWA wrestling event in late 80's when he was a referee, a really nice, down to earth guy.

RIP
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote