Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
raslavens
Minors (Single A)

Best value DH (Diamond card - or at least better than Heilmann)

I'm looking to upgrade my DH slot from Heilmann -- he's OK but I need a more dynamic bat in the upper levels. Who do you think is the best value/bang-for-the-buck DH who would be a clear upgrade from him?
raslavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
allenciox
All Star Reserve

That's easy: Buck Leonard is only about 30k, and should generate about a third of a WAR more than Heilmann. However, I still would list Heilmann as the best overall value for a DH --- as he only goes for about 7k to 8k.

If you want to go better Ted Williams (98) goes for about 55k and should give you a full WAR upgrade over Heilmann. Alternatively, Barry Bonds (99) should be about equal to Ted Williams but is slightly more expensive, at about 60k.

The best DH in the game is probably peak Ted Williams (100) but costs around 150k.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
raslavens
Minors (Single A)

Thanks! What about 100 Gehrig or 97 Brouthers or 94 Sisler or 99 Delahanty or 100 Speaker or 97 Seymour?
raslavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

94 Sisler is a fantastic card. You can even just play him at 1B too unless there's a compelling reason to keep your current one.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslavens View Post
Thanks! What about 100 Gehrig or 97 Brouthers or 94 Sisler or 99 Delahanty or 100 Speaker or 97 Seymour?
Seymour is a great card but plays better in the OF where you can utilize his good defense. I have no experience with Brouthers, Delahanty, or Speaker, but Brouthers looks to be the best option out of that bunch. That being said, Sisler is a much better bargain (as is 98 Ted Williams like Allenciox said).
Old 10-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
That's easy: Buck Leonard is only about 30k, and should generate about a third of a WAR more than Heilmann. However, I still would list Heilmann as the best overall value for a DH --- as he only goes for about 7k to 8k.

If you want to go better Ted Williams (98) goes for about 55k and should give you a full WAR upgrade over Heilmann. Alternatively, Barry Bonds (99) should be about equal to Ted Williams but is slightly more expensive, at about 60k.

The best DH in the game is probably peak Ted Williams (100) but costs around 150k.

Yea, I platoon 100 Ted and 97 Greenberg at DH and it works.

I

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
allenciox
All Star Reserve

To me, I would rather play someone at DH who isn't good in the field --- DH hitting is actually artificially decreased by the game, so if somebody can play a position decently I would rather play them there.

Sisler is a fine choice, but he can play 1B. I have him as a worse choice for DH than Buck Leonard and he costs more. For DH, he only projects as slightly better than Heilmann but is much more expensive.

Also, you might want to be influenced by park factors. Babe Ruth (99) is a great choice in a park favoring home runs, for example, as he has the highest POW rating in the game.

Last edited by allenciox; 10-08-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

100 Ruth for 100K is easily the best DH value in the game.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslavens View Post
or 99 Delahanty
I use the 92 OVR Delahanty in 19 as my DH. The 99 OVR Peak Delahanty in 20 is similar in many ways while being much better. He takes a hit in Avoid K but has improved contact, gap, and eye ratings. His infield defense must also be vastly improved as he is actually good enough to get a rating at 2B now.

This card would likely be a fine DH if you already had him. In fact, based on his ratings (especially the 94 contact on both sides of his splits), he probably would outperform as a DH some of the other names you asked about (though many of those same cards [Seymour, Speaker, et al] have additional value as defenders). However, considering the cost (all time: 74k, current last 7: 90k) and the superior alternatives that can be found at or near that price point, he is probably not a card that anyone ought to be specifically targeting.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 10-08-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
To me, I would rather play someone at DH who isn't good in the field --- DH hitting is actually artificially decreased by the game, so if somebody can play a position decently I would rather play them there.

I'm not sure the penalty at DH is significant.

I have monitored players on different teams, some playing DH and some playing the field, in neutral park settings and the hitting stats are very similar.

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

No clue why I did not talk about him in the first place: Sam Rice. Not your typical high power and eye DH, but he is a fantastic batter to have leading the top of your order. I have played him in the OF (LF and RF) where he sits at around -10 ZR. Attached is a picture of what he has done in perfect with maxed lefty factors.
Attached Images
Mammoth_Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #12
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I use the 92 OVR Delahanty in 19 as my DH. The 99 OVR Peak Delahanty in 20 is similar in many ways while being much better. He takes a hit in Avoid K but has improved contact, gap, and eye ratings. His infield defense must also be vastly improved as he is actually good enough to get a rating at 2B now.

This card would likely be a fine DH if you already had him. In fact, based on his ratings (especially the 94 contact on both sides of his splits), he probably would outperform as a DH some of the other names you asked about (though many of those same cards [Seymour, Speaker, et al] have additional value as defenders). However, considering the cost (all time: 74k, current last 7: 90k) and the superior alternatives that can be found at or near that price point, he is probably not a card that anyone ought to be specifically targeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DX4mjIdVKo

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #13
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

I didn’t know DH offense was decreased by the game, has that been confirmed and if so, why?
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
I didn’t know DH offense was decreased by the game, has that been confirmed and if so, why?

See Matt's post (#14) in this thread: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...hlight=penalty

Last edited by old timer; 10-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
and if so, why?
Because this game is the best and most accurate baseball simulator out there!

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...gnated-hitter/

https://mglbaseball.com/2013/12/09/p...ies-revisited/

Research shows about a 4-6% penalty.

Last edited by chazzycat; 10-11-2019 at 01:00 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #16
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Based on 50 seasons of perfect league data, that is about right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Because this game is the best and most accurate baseball simulator out there!

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...gnated-hitter/

https://mglbaseball.com/2013/12/09/p...ies-revisited/

Research shows about a 4-6% penalty.
So I analyzed about 50 seasons of perfect league data that Davey has collected from people, and estimated this (as well as many other things). It came out to right about a 5% penalty. No guarantee that it is the same at silver, gold level or whatever, of course.

If you play a fielder every day, a DH can play 162 games, a 1B about 157 games, and any other position will play 151 to 152 games, so, yes, the increased games is enough to offset the penalty.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I analyzed about 50 seasons of perfect league data that Davey has collected from people, and estimated this (as well as many other things). It came out to right about a 5% penalty. No guarantee that it is the same at silver, gold level or whatever, of course.
And who was the best DH in that data?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
And who was the best DH in that data?
With no knowledge of the research, I guess either perfect Ruth or perfect Ted Williams.

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote