Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Catcher Fatigue

So, considering moving a guy who has been playing 3b for me to C(he's only rated like a 40 at catcher but he can mash). Will this impact his injuries/fatigue/aging curve? He's 19 at the moment and I'm worried this will result in fewer games played per year and also a shorter career. He's durable as far as injury proneness goes.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
So, considering moving a guy who has been playing 3b for me to C(he's only rated like a 40 at catcher but he can mash). Will this impact his injuries/fatigue/aging curve? He's 19 at the moment and I'm worried this will result in fewer games played per year and also a shorter career. He's durable as far as injury proneness goes.

It will definitely impact fatigue. Not sure about career longevity/durability; in theory, there should be an impact, but I don’t know if this is reflected in OOTP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I realize this is outside of the scope of your question, but any chance he can play first base? (Assuming there is some reason you wish to move him off third.)

My bias would be that it wouldn't be a great move to switch this guy to catcher. Partly because it is an extremely important defensive position and it doesn't sound like he has the requisite skills to be good at it, and partly because due to the fatigue issue (and possible long-term longevity/durability impacts) you might be causing him to have fewer opportunities to impact with his bat.

(I am positive other would argue that he likely will make up for his defensive short-comings if he bat is as good as you suggest. Fair enough. If you have great options at both third and first and just need a position for him to play, this might not be a bad move and could certainly make your team better. Whether it will let him live up to his full career potential might be another question though.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
damoore46
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I agree with the sentiments above for the long term, but you could always put him in at C, then either draft or trade for a more "qualified" catcher. Them, move your guy back to 3B, or where else you might need him. The Reds play Kyle Farmer like that - he's been everywhere this year to try and get him at bats.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i'm fairly sure it impacts longevity... it's true in RL too. my catchers rarely make it into their mid 30's with 1000+ games played by then. if they have low mileage, maybe more likely.

i've seen so many fall apart 30-32, it's almost funny. the only catcher i keep beyond ~30 is a generational talent with high contact and power -- not relative to position. i'll take that chance to set records for that position.

if he is a true masher, he's going to play fewer games as a catcher too. Not a problem in playoffs, though. You may want to have some serviceable guy during reg season and use this guy in playoffs? but, i doubt you can afford to stash a 1b/3b starter on your bench in the meantime.

i'd look at this as offering numerous possiblities and that will allow you to pick a 'better' option than normal. i'd want this guy in the lineup everyday unless i have relatively equal talent per role and this adds one more of those elite talents 1-9 in order.

move to 1b, 3b or c... pick that based on what you can acquire at that time for each situation. at least for the next year, that's you best option. long-term considerations might make it prudent to wait for better options than what you see at the moment.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-23-2019 at 12:49 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

So I can't move him to first, I have 2 excellent 1b options that have bats only just a small notch down from where he is at and I'm already struggling to decide which of them to keep. There is no DH unfortunately.

This is for my online league, the player is King Kelly and he's got 80 potential in all 4 hitting categories. He's obviously not a stud at 3B, but he's better there than at C. However, there are no great catchers (defensively) in the league, he's only 15 points behind in catcher ability (20-80) scale compared to the best in the league, and only 2 catchers even hit that number. So he would come in as a league average catcher, despite his lack of prowess at the position.

The concerns about durability worry me enough though that I think we'll keep him at 3B for now, although we may use him at catcher in the playoffs, that was a good idea.

Part of this is driven by the problem that my 2B I used this year doesn't really have the range there but would make a pretty good 3B and there are far more candidates to trade for a middle infielder than at catcher unfortunately.

Last edited by CrazyWR; 08-23-2019 at 09:29 AM.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

If he can mash, he better be a damn fine catcher to move his position, which apparently he is not. I would put a crap catcher out there, and keep this player at third, or 1B. You want 700 PA's for this guy, not 500 PA's.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, keep him at 3b.

the 2 first baseman... if similar, keep the younger if more than 1+ year difference or whatever makes sense for you. work ethic would be a consideration... current contract and value etc... sometimes the older guy is the better choice, but not often.

but, if you get a good 3b that's significantly better than a defensive catcher's offense, i'd put him at catcher.... if i can get a decent hitting catcher, i'd keep him at 3b... lots of possibilities to explore and take the best option.

position flexibility is awesome for these thigns... picking from 4-6 options is better than some forced move.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-26-2019 at 08:28 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote