Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLBM 2018 - General Discussions

MLBM 2018 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2018, the baseball management game for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
KingCostly
Bat Boy

Players falling off a cliff...

Not literally...

I've had this happen in my current game to two different players. Yoenis Cespedes towards the end of my first season went down to a one-and-a-half star player. He was hitting pretty well yet his ratings just crashed for no reason - there was no injury.

OK, veterans can sometimes regress very quickly. But the one that really annoyed me was Rafael Devers. He's one of the top prospects in real life and when I got him he was half star current / five star potential. I called him up half way through the season due to injuries.

I noticed a couple of months later that he wasn't hitting that well, he was around the .200 mark but I just chalked that up to being a young player. I then check his profile and he's suddenly a one star current / one star potential player! One of the best prospects in the game turned into a career minor leaguer in a few months!

How exactly is regression/progression calculated? Of course prospects won't always pan out and some older players will get worse quickly but come on... the above two examples are ridiculous.
KingCostly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
wodi
All Star Reserve

Players falling off a cliff...

This does happen often, i wouldn't say too often, but I know what your talking about .

I wish it happened in the other direction as well, you never see a 1 star potential guy really break out out of nowhere
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
KingCostly
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post
This does happen often, i wouldn't say too often, but I know what your talking about .

I wish it happened in the other direction as well, you never see a 1 star potential guy really break out out of nowhere
I just wish there was some reason behind it such as injury or bad form.
KingCostly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
abirch10
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Cespedes did the same in mine. Playing with the Tigers, Ian Kinsler did for me as well, but at least age is a minor factor there, but he fell to a half star.
abirch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
wodi
All Star Reserve

Anyone see samples of guys increasing dramatically?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Anyone see samples of guys increasing dramatically?
I had it happen once prior to getting historical players in the draft with a fictional player. I acquired him as a throw in as part of a trade when I was told I should "ask for more". I don't remember his ratings when I got him but I expected him to rot on my minor league team. I had two injuries the next season and called him up as he played third base. Long story short he ended up with 3100 hits and just over 300 home runs mostly as a DH. Havent seen anything remotely close to that since.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I had it happen once prior to getting historical players in the draft with a fictional player. I acquired him as a throw in as part of a trade when I was told I should "ask for more". I don't remember his ratings when I got him but I expected him to rot on my minor league team. I had two injuries the next season and called him up as he played third base. Long story short he ended up with 3100 hits and just over 300 home runs mostly as a DH. Havent seen anything remotely close to that since.

Did his ratings increase beyond what his potential was? Or was it where you just had a poorly rated guy preforming well (usually due to being in a very bitter friendly park)?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
AB42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hi all. I haven't done any console or computer video games since my daughter was born 5 years ago but I always loved the strategy of building teams, especially baseball games and the old EA Sports NCAA football games. I downloaded this to my tablet a couple months back and have been very entertained.

Anyway, yes the players "dropping off a cliff" is very odd at times but I just consider it part of the game. I've seen it with Cespedes nearly every season I go thru for what it's worth. Bo Bichette (minors with the Jays) is another one that seems to drop like a rock immediately. One of the strangest cases for me is minor league SS Isan Diaz of the Brewers. He either becomes an All-Star / MVP candidate or down to one star and won't come back up. No happy in-between.

Who knows. Great game though. Makes me consider moving up to OOTP 18 but I fear that's just too in-depth for me given I don't have a ton of free time.
AB42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Did his ratings increase beyond what his potential was? Or was it where you just had a poorly rated guy preforming well (usually due to being in a very bitter friendly park)?

I dont remember his initial rating (I think this was 2011) When I got him he was a 1 star/1 1/2 star he rose to 5/5 with above ave contact/Gap/Power. I think I took a screen shot on my old tablet. Maybe I will pull it out over the weekend and see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I dont remember his initial rating (I think this was 2011) When I got him he was a 1 star/1 1/2 star he rose to 5/5 with above ave contact/Gap/Power. I think I took a screen shot on my old tablet. Maybe I will pull it out over the weekend and see if I can find it.

Would love to see it! I try to take a ton of screen shots when I play
Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #11
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Would love to see it! I try to take a ton of screen shots when I play

I'm out of town. I will def look over the weekend. I only remember seeing a lot of red in has attributes when I picked them up in the trade. Like I said I really just expected him to rot in the minors.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
goteet
Bat Boy

I am not sure whether there is a difference between PC/Mobile version, the tutorial of PC version explains this situation:

http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...er_development

btw, rating means the player ranking of the certain position, you could check the manual to find the explaination: "Basis for OVR Ratings and POT Ratings" section in http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...overall_rating

I am not sure I give the right answer, it is a view from someone else (me )
goteet is offline   Reply With Quote