Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 03-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Minors (Triple A)

Fan support bug

This was a bug with v4, and seems to still be there in v5.

Basically, OOTP doesn't seem to boost a team's fan interest unless they're contending for a division title. A team could win 95+ games, but if they're stuck in a division with a 110-win team their fan interest won't rise significantly (it may even fall). Meanwhile, and 85-win team will see it's fan interest jump if it's lucky enough to be in a bad division where nobody else is over .500.

Now it's possible that this is working as designed, since the dev team figured that fans are more interested in the playoffs than regular season win totals. If so, fine. But the bug is that OOTP ignores the wildcard race. That 95-win team could be in a great wildcard race and even make the post-season, but the fans don't care because it's not a division crown.

As a real life example, consider the 2001 Oakland A's. They never contended for the division crown (the Mariners ran away with it), but had the second best record in baseball (102 wins) and won the wildcard. Their attendance increased by over a half million over 2000. In OOTP, it would have stayed the same or fallen because they didn't contend for the division.

Please fix this bug. It's killing interest in our online league, where teams who are stuck in divisions with dominant big-market teams have no way to boost fan interest, even thought they consistently contend for the wildcard.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
Raven
Minors (Single A)

I really hope this issue is addressed. I know that some may think it isn't an issue, but for the situations where it applies, it totally kills any opportunity for a team to generate more revenue even when they play exceptionally well.

If you have a mid market team who wins 90 games and a large market team (in the same division) that wins 100+, there is no way for the mid-market to increase revenue or fan interest because they are constantly 15 games out of first. Playoffs are irrelevant, wild card is irrelevant, OOTP is focusing far too much on games back within the division.

Fix this problem (and other financial issues) and you are on your way to developing a viable financial engine.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:59 PM   #3
Shorty
All Star Reserve

It seems to be better in OOTP5, but could still probably use some work. My contending team actually had significant increase in fan loyalty last season, Raven. I hope that makes you feel better

By the way, I, the Devil Rays, finished 2 games back of the Yankees and 1 game out of the wildcard, winning 87 games, and boosting fan loyalty from 18 to 34.

Maybe Oakland has hope afterall Bob
Old 03-10-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Minors (Rookie Ball)

See, that's the thing, Shorty. Your game there isn't really indicative of the problem. You finished just outside of first in your division, and saw an increase in fan interest. The problem isn't when you are close to first place. It's when you are far from first place--but still much better than you were before. We are seeing fan interest drops for wildcard contenders in divisions with a very good first place team, for instance. Never mind that the wildcard contender might have won 90 games, but because it finished 15 games back of first place, it actually loses fan interest. That is the problem.

Chief Rum
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:04 AM   #5
Raven
Minors (Single A)

Finishing 2 games out of first doesn't recreate the problem.

Chief's post is exactly what I am trying to say. And if this problem exists for the 2nd place team, then I'm sure it probably exists for everyone in that division as well.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:19 AM   #6
Swaggs
Bat Boy

This is certainly a major issue for the long term integrity of online leagues. A little recognition for an improving team goes a long way financially in online leagues.

This is a problem that needs addressed.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:54 AM   #7
asamford
Banned

I agree that fan interest should be based on more than just how close you are to first place. Wild card, a big free agent signing, a long winning streak, a player chasing a milestone, all of these things should give positive increases to fan interest.
asamford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
Anrhydeddu
Minors (Single A)

bump
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
Raven
Minors (Single A)

bump. I'm not going to let this thread die out.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #10
Schmidty
Minors (Single A)

Come on, .400 guys!!! This is a serious issue that needs to be resolved.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:32 AM   #11
David Yellope
Minors (Double A)

Agreed.. there's no real work around here, because manually editing the FI for all teams would VERY quickly become tedious.

Perhaps do like the Owner expectations in Manager mode. Have the fans set a goal (say, a # of wins).. After about a quarter of a seasonm start adjusting the Fan Interest based on whether the team is meeting, beating or failing in its goals. Thanks
David Yellope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:40 AM   #12
Maple Leafs
Minors (Triple A)

There's any number of improvements that could be made to the fan interest feature. But I don't want to lose site of the issue here, which is the game ignoring the wildcard race.

Even the OOTP 5 manual refers to fan interest being affected by a team's "prospects for post-season play", so the wildcard being ignored can only be called a bug.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #13
Shorty
All Star Reserve

Ok, ok, I see the difference. This is true then, this needs to be changed/fixed ASAP.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #14
goldenglove_21
Minors (Single A)

With the Cubs in my division I, the Pirates, have no chance of ever having making money with a payroll over $50 million. Definatley needs some tweaking.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
sporr
Global Moderator

This is being examined by the beta team.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #16
Neuqua458
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just here to reiterate what my guys earlier have been saying. It's really no fun for those teams with a dominant team in their divisions to even continue with the league.

Neuqua
Neuqua458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:34 PM   #17
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

As already stated we are looking into this, however I would not want the ability to "increase" fan interest to be too easy either as that would be just as damaging. We will let you know what our research reveals.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #18
Maple Leafs
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks Steve, good to know.

Personally, I'd be happy to just see the wildcard bug fixed, with any further adjustments to fan interest implemented in a future update.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #19
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Actually, this issue is even more important now thanks to OOTP5's customizable playoffs.

Any team in serious contention for a post-season playoff slot should see some increase in its fan interest regardless of its overall W-L record.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #20
David Yellope
Minors (Double A)

bump
David Yellope is offline   Reply With Quote