Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
HabsJaysFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Interesting idea Pre-Order/Beta

This would be a cool idea. When the development team is ready to open up a wider beta test they could allow anyone that wants to pre-order to get a beta version, that way everyone that is following this game religiously like myself can contribute and wet our lips early.
HabsJaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

In!
OpusTheFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Like that idea aswell
no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
geckon
Hall Of Famer

This idea appeared already in one of the threads here and I like it too
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Great idea. It would take the pressure off the beta testers. If ever there was a person too find a bug-its me. I'm still finding bugs in OOTP11.

Plus,people would get the game ahead of time. I don't know if there would be a hunger to purchase a hockey game the closer the baseball season gets. I've never played a hockey game in the off-season,but baseball seems to go well no matter what the season.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
HabsJaysFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Great idea. It would take the pressure off the beta testers. If ever there was a person too find a bug-its me. I'm still finding bugs in OOTP11.

Plus,people would get the game ahead of time. I don't know if there would be a hunger to purchase a hockey game the closer the baseball season gets. I've never played a hockey game in the off-season,but baseball seems to go well no matter what the season.

If you release it people will come...

I'm so stoked that if they released this in June I would buy it and play it, along with OOTP of course.
HabsJaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Well I started playing OOTP 13 few weeks ago in the offseason (but for me it has no meaning because baseball is practicaly nonexistent here in czech republic). And as for the FHM I would buy it no matter when, but ofcourse the sooner the better even if it is beta, it's too long since last EHM come out.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no way View Post
Well I started playing OOTP 13 few weeks ago in the offseason (but for me it has no meaning because baseball is practicaly nonexistent here in czech republic). And as for the FHM I would buy it no matter when, but ofcourse the sooner the better even if it is beta, it's too long since last EHM come out.
I'm usually in the mood to watch the Maple Leafs lose during hockey season. It might be a bit much to watch them lose year round.

If everyone gets wrapped up in FHM then they might not have time to order and play OOTP14.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsJaysFan View Post
If you release it people will come...

I'm so stoked that if they released this in June I would buy it and play it, along with OOTP of course.
I've never played a hockey game in the off-season so this might be a good thing.

Right now I'm geared to play hockey but no hockey game to play.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

There are still alot of unanswered questions.

1.) Can leagues play exhibition games between leagues?

2.) I guess there will be fictional leagues(according to some working on the game) but it still hasn't been answered with 100 percent authority?

3.) WHA--Yes or no?

4.) Can leagues form all-star teams at the spur of the moment so they can play other leagues?

5.) Can fictional leagues(if they do exist) have minor leagues?

6.) Approx. how long will it take to play a game and a day's worth of games. It takes me about 45 minutes to complete one day of play in OOTP13.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I'm usually in the mood to watch the Maple Leafs lose during hockey season. It might be a bit much to watch them lose year round.

If everyone gets wrapped up in FHM then they might not have time to order and play OOTP14.
I feel your pain about Leafs... It's sad, but I still hope year after year for better luck next year
Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

I would LOVE to setup and play the FHM from the Old Fashion days of the 60s ... Short, Sweet and Simple ... Not as deep as the younger mates are craving for ... yeah, I have the dough to go aloaf to try the GAME out in the early release stage ... (but I am sure if we're patience enough, it will be here before we know it ) ...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

i've mentioned this idea somewhere in the "Beta Test" thread. In fact i took that idea from Wolverine Studios - that's what they do to their games.

The only problems is that the major bugs would have to be worked out and keeping that many people quiet on features would be next to impossible so they couldn't ask that unless they are going to moniter the forums much closer. Also if they are still adding and removing features it would not be a good idea but as soon as it's not the case it would be great so the rest of us could get our hands on the game sooner.

Again though, they would have to have the major bugs worked out or more people who don't quite understand it's still in beta would become very frustrated and that wouldn't be good - but that can still be avoided with the proper communication of a beta release and the information on the official release.

This is not something that ootp has ever done so i would be surprised if they were to start now, but i hope they consider it.

EDIT:

Quote:
6.) Approx. how long will it take to play a game and a day's worth of games. It takes me about 45 minutes to complete one day of play in OOTP13.
WOW! It takes me about that time to play through a season in ootp :P

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
i've mentioned this idea somewhere in the "Beta Test" thread. In fact i took that idea from Wolverine Studios - that's what they do to their games.

The only problems is that the major bugs would have to be worked out and keeping that many people quiet on features would be next to impossible so they couldn't ask that unless they are going to moniter the forums much closer. Also if they are still adding and removing features it would not be a good idea but as soon as it's not the case it would be great so the rest of us could get our hands on the game sooner.

Again though, they would have to have the major bugs worked out or more people who don't quite understand it's still in beta would become very frustrated and that wouldn't be good - but that can still be avoided with the proper communication of a beta release and the information on the official release.
So true. I think release candidate testing would be more appropriate. It'd ensure that the game's features are more finalised and it would just be a case of stamping out niggling bugs, etc.

The difficulty with mass beta testing is not only the whole secrecy/NDA thing, but also you end up with huge numbers of ideas logged on the Project Tool and in threads. With just two people working on the game, I imagine it would be hard to manage all of those suggestions and prioritise them according to whether they are realistic for version 1 or whether they'd be better for a later version (and there's also those ideas that are plain bad or too elaborate, etc).

Release candidate testing would be a better compromise IMO. This is a similar thing to what SI did with EHM and it seemed to work well.