Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
BuckyDent4Ever
Bat Boy

Possible Bug: FA's signing with other teams for less?!

I just hit my first offseason. In bidding for multiple top tier FA's, I would submit offers that the player was amenable to only to be told that they signed with another team. I would check the contract details and, every time, the player has signed for less years with the other team. In many cases, the amount they signed for less wasn't even close to what I had offered.

So I've missed out on the opportunity to snatch several FA's. Just wondering if this is a big or if there is a legit reason. I don't remember this happening in OOTP 11.
BuckyDent4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
GrantDawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyDent4Ever View Post
I just hit my first offseason. In bidding for multiple top tier FA's, I would submit offers that the player was amenable to only to be told that they signed with another team. I would check the contract details and, every time, the player has signed for less years with the other team. In many cases, the amount they signed for less wasn't even close to what I had offered.

So I've missed out on the opportunity to snatch several FA's. Just wondering if this is a big or if there is a legit reason. I don't remember this happening in OOTP 11.
Actually, this is new to this season. Players will actually take less money for more preferable teams. I don't know what the tip off to the human player might be (I hope we at least get told by the player he doesn't like our team, or another team is more his preference), but yeah, going to happen.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
This is hardly new to this year's game. This has happened in every version so far as I can remember. Players have greedy, loyalty and desire to win ratings and along with locations all play a role in signing choices.

I'm sure anyone who has done even a handful of offseasons can find absurd examples that may never happen IRL, but in the game it has a handful of ratings rather than the union, agents, family, the human brain and umpteen other things that impact negotiations.
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Actually, this is new to this season. Players will actually take less money for more preferable teams. I don't know what the tip off to the human player might be (I hope we at least get told by the player he doesn't like our team, or another team is more his preference), but yeah, going to happen.
It can be a negative thing if it happens too often though, since most players usually do go after the highest bidder. I'm glad to see it happens occasionally, I just hope it doesn't happen too often to the point where it becomes unrealistic.

Odds are things such as Loyalty, Greed, and Desire to Win come in to play here, so a player who wants to win will sign with a good team for less, or a loyal player will resign with his old team for less, etc. Makes these personality traits carry more weight to them as well if that's the case
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

The OP didn't specify if the teams signing player for less money were in the same league as his own team. If they are in different leagues, one thing to check on are the "Typical salary" tiers of each of the leagues in your universe. If leagues have unequal "Typical salary" tiers, then Player X would indeed agree to sign for less money with a team boasting the lower "Typical salary" tiers. To make sure that like-kind players play for similar salaries across different leagues, you would want to equalize the "Typical salary" tiers in each league.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
BMD
All Star Reserve

Quote:

So basically you were trying to sign a "Cliff Lee" when you should have been bidding on a "Jayson Werth". In that case, you would have got your man.

I would think passing on the biggest contract would be more the exception than the rule, though. It is something I think many of us will be keeping an eye on and debating in the coming weeks/months/versions.
BMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
BuckyDent4Ever
Bat Boy

In more detail, he's what happened.

2011 season over. I first offered Jose Reyes a little more than his demand. He said it was a good offer and he'd sign it. I submit it and immediately get a message that he signed with another team (for less money, less years). Then I decide to do the same thing with Prince Fielder. Same result. And then with Adrian Gonzalez. Same result. I did sign one of the top starters of the FA class though.

I thought that was a little weird to have have that happen like that.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
BMD
All Star Reserve

Quote:
In more detail, he's what happened.

2011 season over. I first offered Jose Reyes a little more than his demand. He said it was a good offer and he'd sign it. I submit it and immediately get a message that he signed with another team (for less money, less years). Then I decide to do the same thing with Prince Fielder. Same result. And then with Adrian Gonzalez. Same result. I did sign one of the top starters of the FA class though.

I thought that was a little weird to have have that happen like that.
Just curious, what team are you? How did your team do in '11?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
BuckyDent4Ever
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD View Post
Just curious, what team are you? How did your team do in '11?
Yankees. Made it to the WS and lost.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
BMD
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Interesting . . . so this really was a Cliff Lee situation. But times three? Interesting.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
Storm
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Did you promise Prince and Agon and Reyes starting positions? Maybe they thought you were just attempting to sign them as glorified DHs/PHs with Tex @ 1B.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
SetonHallPirate
Minors (Triple A)

Isn't it also possible that, after the experience Reyes has had with the Mets, he was just so sick of New York that he didn't feel like simply moving his workplace 9.7 miles (as the car drives) was enough distance from Citi Field?
SetonHallPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Did you promise Prince and Agon and Reyes starting positions? Maybe they thought you were just attempting to sign them as glorified DHs/PHs with Tex @ 1B.
Tex @1b and Jeter @ss could have made your offer less attractive to those guys. How about the teams they went to, did they have openings at 1B or SS?
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:

Are you sure you hit the "submit offer" button after negotiations? If not, the player will not consider your offer when deciding where to sign.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
BuckyDent4Ever
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
No, I didn't. But they didn't ask for it either.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
BuckyDent4Ever
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Are you sure you hit the "submit offer" button after negotiations? If not, the player will not consider your offer when deciding where to sign.

Yes, I submitted my offer and then would almost immediately get a message saying they signed with another team.