Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 12-29-2002, 07:05 PM   #21
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Ok, you need to d/l the "generic" version of the database....the access one won't work.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:09 PM   #22
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

I believe I finally have it! Re-downloaded (for the fourth time) the database and for some reason this time it works.

Now, a question, Steve, Kil, etc.

What's your favorite way to run an historical league in career mode? Options, etc?

Thanks much for your help. I hope you guys get some of the cut.
knockahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:40 PM   #23
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Well Knockahoma(I hope you are a Braves fan w/ that sn)...... I really don't play historically much at all so I wouldn't really have any preferences. You might check on the dynasty board as quite a few guys have threads about their leagues, etc there and you could get some clues from them.

Glad things are working for ya now....
Old 01-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #24
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

Hey, Steve!

Sorry I didn't get back at you sooner.

Yes, I AM a Braves fan. But, I'm hanging on to my mid-30s and I remember the REAL Braves teams... you know, the teams of the 70's which started off by teasing you with 3rd place finishes, Hank Aaron's daily HR update in the newspaper ( I lived in Albany, Georgia until I was about 10). I was 6 or 7, fascinated by the radio magic. ((In fact, I've been doing a radio morning show for over a decade now.... got any thoughts on how we can get sound play by play into this game????)

My heroes included not only HANK, but nominal players who disappeared into the history of the game-- like Mike Lum ( I KNOW!! MIKE LUM, for crying out loud!), Davey Johnson, Johnny Oates and Vic Correll sharing the catchers duties. Craig Robinson at SS. Dusty Baker, the young CF with all that promise before we threw the Dodgers a bone by taking the finished Jim Wynn in a trade. Do you remember a nondescript 2B named Marty Perez? I Do...lol... How about the great Buzz Capra and the great Carl Morton???? Well, they were great a season or two there. All of these mediocre players set like cement in my heart by the hours my brother and I used to play Strat-o-matic and APBA.

All the way into the late 70s, heartbreak territory with all the bats you could muster and a pitching staff full of Gopher-Lovers. Jeff Burroughs. Garry Mathews. Barry Bonnell! Last place. Last place. Last place!!!

And then, the teasing years of Murphy and Horner, Hubbard and Ramirez. Bruce Benedict!!!!! Was there ever a catcher in major league history with smaller arms than THAT guy???? Did he even raise his own fork???? THEN salvation. Sid Bream sliding into home against the Pirates. That was the moment for me, not so much the Series win against Cleveland.

What is a Braves fan, now? Yawn. Waiting for the inevitable division championship and the inevitable choke in the post season. I'd trade all the division titles for that magic I felt dying with each loss over a 3rd place team, scouring the boxscores the next day so my brother and I could get the correct lineup when we went into the back yard with our bats and gloves for the replay!

Anyway, what a joy to see some of those faces again in the historical option! Thanks for all the help Steve! And YOU TOO, Killebrew. I actually am old enough to barely remember the original Killebrew. But he and Tony Oliva were tuckered out by then.

Rick
Old 01-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #25
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

steve,

one more quick question.

I've downloaded a faces package, converted them to .bmp and placed them in the proper folder. They don't show up (they're listed by name, not number). I didn't see in the tutorial how to change the setting so the game recognizes the pics by name rather than number?

Also, the logos don't seem to work. They appear in the correct directory. Am I missing an APPLY button somewhere in leagues setup?

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 01-01-2003, 03:44 PM   #26
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Rick,

The "enable all photos" button is on the league setup page lower right hand corner. Should work with name and number.

As far as the Braves are concerned, I was born and raised in Atlanta and have been a Braves fan since 1968....yow. Instead of remembering some of the guys you mentioned I've tried to "forget" them(hehe). Craig Robinson at SS, what a joke. Marty Perez, ugh....eyes closed when he plays....MAN they were bad.

Some good memories, Seeing Willie Mays hit HR #600(meant nothing at the time of course), Claudell Washington base hit in extra innings to win 13th game in a row to start a season...I was there.......Rick Camp July 4th HR at who knows what time in the morning.....
Old 01-02-2003, 12:51 AM   #27
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

Hi Steve,

I remember the Braves moments. Were you actually attending the "Rick- all night-Camp?"

Since 68, huh? Then you remember the countdown to Ruth in the papers?

I went to the All-star game in Atlanta in 72. Hank was my hero in a way that only boys under 10 can understand. Anyway, he hit a homer in that game. When he came back out to RF the next inning, we all stood (still remember seeing him stand there in that shy way of his, just forty or fifty feet away). The applause swept the stadium (precursor to the wave, I guess. Just like that). The newspapers wrote the standing ovation lasted over 10 minutes. Something about that still makes me catch my breath. Not just baseball. Even as a 7 year old white Georgia boy, I knew about racism. My father worked with a lot of black people at a concrete pipe company. Just the sight of watching Hank, a black man, standing under all that adoration.... hope for the world, I guess.

I tried the button to apply pictures. Didn't work. None of the graphics are coming into the game. Checked the folders. Actually reinstalled the game. Dunno. These folders pathways case sensitive, right? Maybe I missed something.... Anyway,

Ciao,
Rick

Last edited by knockahoma; 01-02-2003 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 AM   #28
Killebrew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've downloaded a faces package, converted them to .bmp and placed them in the proper folder.
Which "faces package"? Make sure you use one that is designed for the type of league you are running. If you are doing a historical era you will need the facepack designed for that particular era, these historical facespacks will only work if the era is correct. Similar story if you are doing a fictional league, there are several facepacks that are designed for fictional leagues.

Quote:
I tried the button to apply pictures. Didn't work. None of the graphics are coming into the game. Checked the folders. Actually reinstalled the game. Dunno. These folders pathways case sensitive, right? Maybe I missed something.... Anyway,
The correct folder is the PHOTOS folder within your XXX.lg folder (where your XXX = your league name). The folder names are not case sensitive so don't worry there.

All the trouble shooting steps...
1) Double check that you used the correct facepack for your league type. There are dozens of facepacks created for OOTP4.
2) If the images were in JPEG format make sure you followed the instructions in your facepack on how to convert them to bitmap format. Once we had a poster who simply renamed JPEG images as BMP images - that will not work.
3) Make sure the BMP (AKA bitmap) images are in the PHOTOS folder within your XXX.lg folder (where your XXX = your league name).
4) Make sure photo's are enabled in league setup.

BTW, if you do these steps with the game and your league open it is possible some of your changes won't work or won't be visable, since after you load a league OOTP read the league info from your PC's memory. Always wise to at least load a different league when doing this kind of stuff.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #29
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

Hey Kill,

I believe the face pack was Tiger's, players from the 50s, which I downloaded and converted to .bmp with Harmware's Batch Thumbs program. I know I'm okay there.

Tiger wrote that the game would recognize both file names (i.e., 1244.bmp or Tom_House.bmp, providing they are one and the same. How is that possible? Wouldn't you have a specific path? Unless you change the pathway somehow in the game from 1244.bmp to the name version?

I also enabled the photos several times. None of the logos showed up, either.

Yep. Put them in the proper folder. I'll do the whole process over again, but the pathway is the part I don't get. How can you simultaneously have TWO pathways to the same file? (number or name of player?).

By the way. I'm looking to re-edit and get realistic lefty/righty results with batters. What's the best way? I went into OOTP and found that Johnny Oates, a left-handed hitter got about 60 percent of the starts at catcher for the Braves AGAINST LH PITCHING. He hits about .230 against both sides. But Vic Correll, the right handed catcher hits lefties much better than Oates. Oates rarely started against lefties in real life. So, why didn't the OOTP manager insert Correll as the starter against lefthanded pitching 90 percent of the time, rather than 40? I tried creatiing the league both ways, with the lefty/righty option on and off. Got the same results. 60% of the starts went to Oates regardless of which arm the pitcher threw with.

I'd like to understand how the engine works in this regard so I dont' waste hours re-editing lefty/righty batting averages to no avail......

The lefty/righty issue is more important to me than the graphics.

Danke,

Rick

Last edited by knockahoma; 01-02-2003 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #30
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

for the images I believe the game looks for one path and if it doesn't find it looks for the other so fname_lname.bmp and p####.bmp will both work. (For realistic player sets most use the player names rather than guessing at the player numbers, whereas for fictional sets most use the player numbers) I can confirm that both naming conventions will work in the game.

So long as the images are all in the PHOTOS folder of the league you want them to show up in and named correctly they should appear in the game, upon either enabling the individual players photo or from the League Setup screen enabling all player photos (I'm not sure why it isn't working for you). Similarly logos should be in the LOGOS folder of the league you want them to show up in and must be named correctly (team##.bmp). Team Logos should show up automatically once the correctly named file is in the correct location.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #31
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Rick,

Yes I was at the "Rick Camp-allnighter", it happened to be the first MLballgame for my newborn(well 7 month old son)......yow
Old 01-02-2003, 02:41 PM   #32
knockahoma
All Star Reserve

fellas,

been thru the threads on the lefty/righty stuff.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'd like to take a historical league and re-edit the numbers so they reflect the actual batting stats against leftties. Then, I'd like the computer to understand the advantage in the player ratings and sit a lefty 90 percent of the time against a southpaw (providing the ratings demand the benching), if that's possible.

Is it?

What's your thought on the generic split? If I leave the historical players as they are, should I use generic or not? Statistically speaking (I'll PRETEND Johnny Oates' days off are against lefties....

Rick