Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran View Post
Not to beat a dead horse...

IMO, it should be released when all the hockey games are released...
I will be playing this year-round so whether or not it coincides with real life (NHL, KHL, EA, anything) is totally errelevent to me. Heck, my first game is starting in 1952...zero to do with anything going on now...

Bring that horse around one more time and I am making sausages...
OpusTheFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
HabsJaysFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusTheFowl View Post

Bring that horse around one more time and I am making sausages...

Lol
HabsJaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

I am looking forward to getting this as soon as it comes out, and I want the developers to take all the time they need to make it the best product possible, but....

... this waiting makes me feel like I did when I was 8 or 9 and a long post Christmas thaw meant we couldn't use the backyard rink for days on end.

I knew that cold weather was coming but it felt like it was taking forever to get there.
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #24
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But releasing a hockey game in March sounds weird.

1. IMO, it should be released when all the hockey games are released...

2. Or it should be released at strategic time... Not simply when it's ready.
1. Why? For more direct competition in sales?

2. And when would a strategic time be? We already know a lot of people have said they don't care when it's released, they'll get it. And anyway, if it comes out soon then it could still be strategic in that it's shortly after the lockout ends. But still, holding out and waiting to release it is gonna piss off a lot more people than it will bring in. It's just pointless (especially since they've made it known they're close to finishing).
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
Forward
Bat Boy

Strategic moment now on will be a week before the start of the NHL season, with updated roster
Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
But releasing a hockey game in March sounds weird.

IMO, it should be released when all the hockey games are released...

Or it should be released at strategic time... Not simply when it's ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
1. Why? For more direct competition in sales?

2. And when would a strategic time be? We already know a lot of people have said they don't care when it's released, they'll get it. And anyway, if it comes out soon then it could still be strategic in that it's shortly after the lockout ends. But still, holding out and waiting to release it is gonna piss off a lot more people than it will bring in. It's just pointless (especially since they've made it known they're close to finishing).
Well said, in a niche market like this is waiting until the cup finals going to boost any sales? While it is definitely fun to draft, I wouldn't say that even for those who love to draft their favorite time in actual hockey schedule is the draft, just through the game. Not only that but you have a great amount of people anxiously waiting for this game, I don't think holding out is going to increase anticipation, at some point a screens wear thin (were not there yet so keep em comin)

As well lets not forget that this work at the moment is being done for free so to speak. Pushing back release for MAYBE a few extra sales will cost the company more, the sooner this gets released the sooner this becomes profitable, and you can start on a 2nd version to boost that.

Lastly, Sebastien also works on iOOTP. I am hoping FHM really hits a home run like OOTP and iOOTP gets passed down to another dev but for time being he has 2 projects to work on, right now FHM has his focus but it can't continue to have his sole focus come spring time around iOOTP release so lets get it out when its ready, and the yearly cycle can come after year version 2 as already stated.
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Great point. Let's release the game when all the other hockey Text sims are being released like, umm....funny, i can't really think of any at the top of my head...Oh Wolverine Studios FOH that seems no closer then it did two years ago to having career mode.

The fact is that there is no direct competiton for this sport in this genre. EAs NHL series is not even close. And yes it would make sense in a way to release before the season begins but OOTP simply can't sit and wait for the "Hockey Time appropiate" date when the product is completed and ready to be released - that would simply be way too costly. The pluses of a release date when it's ready just weights any other alternative.

I would love for them to spend extra time in developing the game and release it in september; however, this is a small development team with a tiny budget and every day that the game is not being released is costing cash that OOTP cannot absorb.

Drew, my honest prediction is that FHM will not be a home run. It takes time for a franchise to build a fanbase. FHM has absorbed the remaining EHM's and hopefully can attract some OOTP fans but this will no doubt be a struggle for this game to survive past the first version. I only hope that OOTP is commited to a second version no matter what - it might even make sense to release FHM2 two years after the original release (with 1 year of hiatus and minor updates/patches and one year of development time) in hopes that the game grows in fans to get a larger return.

From what i hear, i am a big fan of Sebastians vision of this series, I only hope it lives on long enough for him to fully fulfill it.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #28
fredreed
Minors (Double A)

Release date

Your right about wolverine studios and FOH. I payed the demo and its terrible. You can play single season and plus its mostly used for online leagues. FOH is the worst hockey simulator out there. I believe that when they release franchise hockey manager it will blow all the other hockey sims away because it goes so deep unlike FOH. The problem with FOH is that one of the developers could no longer develop it with the only other developer and apparently this is why it has no career mode yet. But I understand that it will eventually include a career mode as it is a work in progress. But franchise hockey manager goes so much deeper that I think it will sell much better then FOH did. The 2012 version is exactly like the 2010 version nothing has changed.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Edster007
All Star Starter

I don't have a background in marketing but my thought is the first version has to create buzz for the second version. Sales of v1 is most likely going to come from those of us who play sports text sims and are hardcore hockey fans. There are plenty of ways once the first version is released to get free pubilcity for the game and build momentum for the 2nd version. At that point the game should be released along the lines of other sports games, a few weeks prior to the start of the actual NHL season. There are plenty of hockey fans in the states but where the game misses out is a lot of them stop watching when their team is eliminated. So for this intial version, if complete I would say the best time to release is anytime before the middle of February. This gives you a solid month before you have to compete with other sports to get the word out about the game and generate some sales before the sports market gets flooded with baseball spring training and college basketball (here in the states). I think you need to strike in what people call the dog days of sports between the Super Bowl and spring training. That period of time in my opinon would be when you would be able to get some attention and generate additional sales.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #30
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Great point. Let's release the game when all the other hockey Text sims are being released like, umm....funny, i can't really think of any at the top of my head...Oh Wolverine Studios FOH that seems no closer then it did two years ago to having career mode.

The fact is that there is no direct competiton for this sport in this genre. EAs NHL series is not even close. And yes it would make sense in a way to release before the season begins but OOTP simply can't sit and wait for the "Hockey Time appropiate" date when the product is completed and ready to be released - that would simply be way too costly. The pluses of a release date when it's ready just weights any other alternative.

I would love for them to spend extra time in developing the game and release it in september; however, this is a small development team with a tiny budget and every day that the game is not being released is costing cash that OOTP cannot absorb.

Drew, my honest prediction is that FHM will not be a home run. It takes time for a franchise to build a fanbase. FHM has absorbed the remaining EHM's and hopefully can attract some OOTP fans but this will no doubt be a struggle for this game to survive past the first version. I only hope that OOTP is commited to a second version no matter what - it might even make sense to release FHM2 two years after the original release (with 1 year of hiatus and minor updates/patches and one year of development time) in hopes that the game grows in fans to get a larger return.

From what i hear, i am a big fan of Sebastians vision of this series, I only hope it lives on long enough for him to fully fulfill it.
I couldn't agree more. Hockey management sims are a niche - there seems to be much greater interest in playing as the players (i.e. EA Sports' NHL series and the former 2K series) or at least only a shallow GM-mode of sorts tacked onto a game such as EA Sports NHL.

Ultimately, as interesting as our debate is, all of this is moot (and I don't mean to take anything away from this debate - if I did then I wouldn't take the time to post this! ). OOTP will release it when they feel is best - be that from a marketing perspective or from a quality/"when it's ready" perspective (or a combination thereof).

Let's face it, everybody on this forum who already plans to buy the game is going to buy it regardless of the release date. How many people who don't visit the OOTP forums have heard of the game? Maybe a few users on the likes of HFBoards where there is an FHM discussion thread (maybe also Facebook). Is the timing of the release likely to influence their decision to purchase? I'd argue that it probably won't. IMO what will be decisive is what users and visitors to the OOTP/The Blue Line/HFBoards Forums and Facebook have to say about the game. This will encourage others to buy the game or at least check out the demo (assuming there is one) - regardless of what month it is, the word will spread nonetheless IMO. I think word of mouth is going to have a far bigger impact on sales than the month in which it is released.

I've waited six years for a new hockey management sim and I'm happy to wait another couple if it means the difference between a poor/mediocre first effort and something which shows real potential right from the start (and gets in those all important sales). So long as FHM has a secure future, I'll be happy to wait as long as it takes (both for the first version and for subsequent versions).

The game's sustainability has the most important thing. I'd hate for FHM to go the same way as the EHM series which was cut-down just as things were getting really interesting (EHM 2008 was planned, amongst other things, to have OOTP-style customisation which would have made such a difference over all of the hardcoded leagues, etc).

Last edited by archibalduk; 01-16-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Heh actually it's six and not five years that we've waited for a new hockey sim now!...
archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Regardless of when the date of release be set, we will all be a part of the new frontier of FHM ... we will all be playing this Game throughout the seasons, as much as playing our favorite Baseball, Basketball and Football games ... just it will be so much better ... playing, finally, the Game of Hockey in current form ... F.U.N.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #32
Big T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabez54 View Post
Regardless of when the date of release be set, we will all be a part of the new frontier of FHM ... we will all be playing this Game throughout the seasons, as much as playing our favorite Baseball, Basketball and Football games ... just it will be so much better ... playing, finally, the Game of Hockey in current form ... F.U.N.
What he said...........
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote