Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #41
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantYankee View Post
Thanks Marberi. I might hold off on 12 and wait for 13 or 14. This game is so deep I don't know if I need to update it yet.
I hear you GY. I'm perfectly happy with 11 myself and besides, I don't see as many improvements in 12 that it would justify shelling out $40 USD for half a season lol!
Marberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #42
paulskln
Minors (Single A)

hi guys i have been trying to add some pitchers to a database i have been working on....please explain why cant i edit some stats such as BF HA OAVG and ERA...is there a simple way to just put in my stats from a pitcher.
paulskln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #43
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskln View Post
hi guys i have been trying to add some pitchers to a database i have been working on....please explain why cant i edit some stats such as BF HA OAVG and ERA...is there a simple way to just put in my stats from a pitcher.
Hi Paul,

Are you playing in Commissioner mode?

You must make sure that you're in Commish mode, so you can access players' profiles and edit their ratings/stats
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #44
paulskln
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marberi View Post
Hi Paul,

Are you playing in Commissioner mode?

You must make sure that you're in Commish mode, so you can access players' profiles and edit their ratings/stats
yes but i cant seem to edit all the stats in the editor

i attatched the pitcher part please explain how to edit them.
Attached Images

Last edited by paulskln; 06-22-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #45
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
yes but i cant seem to edit all the stats in the editor
Hmm...what kind of problem are you having, specifically? What kind of stats are you having trouble in editing?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #46
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
You can only edit things that are under the pitchers control. Walks, strikeouts and HR. (And a few other peripherals.)

OAVG, ERA, etc. will be determined by those plus the defense behind them, pitch ability, velocity, etc.
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #47
paulskln
Minors (Single A)

so to get the ERA that i want i have to alter other ratings to get where i want it to be..i cant just type in for example ERA = 3.00
Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #48
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so to get the ERA that i want i have to alter other ratings to get where i want it to be..i cant just type in for example ERA = 3.00
Pretty much and even then that ERA may mean little depending on what surrounds the pitcher on his actual team.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #49
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Nope. Carplos is 100% spot on.

The only pitcher stats you can edit are IP/BF, HR, BB, HBP and SO. The A.I. determines their ERA, based on a combination of these stats. The better the pitcher's overall numbers, the lower his ERA.

You can also edit pitch types and the quality of their repertoire, ground ball % and ability to hold runners. But that's about it, IIRC. Not a very accurate way to edit hurlers, IMO, alas this is pretty much by design.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #50
paulskln
Minors (Single A)

thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #51
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
thanks for the help guys.
My pleasure
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #52
paulskln
Minors (Single A)

so i am creating a whole new database with all new players...would there be some sort of guide as to what numbers to put in...
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #53
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope. Carplos is 100% spot on.

The only pitcher stats you can edit are IP/BF, HR, BB, HBP and SO. The A.I. determines their ERA, based on a combination of these stats. The better the pitcher's overall numbers, the lower his ERA.

You can also edit pitch types and the quality of their repertoire, ground ball % and ability to hold runners. But that's about it, IIRC. Not a very accurate way to edit hurlers, IMO, alas this is pretty much by design.
Eh? Being able to dictate something like OAVG or even sillier when you could edit 2B is far less accurate.

Granted, I think the ability to edit those things SHOULD be available for people if they choose just because not everyone buys into (or cares about) DIPS theory. Though I guess I could see how the engine may have a problem developing ratings if it used stats it doesn't need from pitchers.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #54
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
so i am creating a whole new database with all new players...would there be some sort of guide as to what numbers to put in...
Well, that's pretty much dictated by the editor itself. All the fields you can enter info in are the stats/ratings you can edit.

If you're using real life players and editing their stats manually, I'd recommend Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Baseball Statistics and History. There, you can get an avg. season based on their career totals or you can choose their top career year, depending on what you prefer. This has worked very well for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #55
paulskln
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Well, that's pretty much dictated by the editor itself. All the fields you can enter info in are the stats/ratings you can edit.

If you're using real life players and editing their stats manually, I'd recommend Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Baseball Statistics and History. There, you can get an avg. season based on their career totals or you can choose their top career year, depending on what you prefer. This has worked very well for me.

Hope this helps.
thanks for this but im not creating MLB players it is a different league.i have a book with all the stats from the league...maybe ill just average each player out and see how it goes...
im grateful for you guys sparring your time to help me on this.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #56
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos View Post
Eh? Being able to dictate something like OAVG or even sillier when you could edit 2B is far less accurate.

Granted, I think the ability to edit those things SHOULD be available for people if they choose just because not everyone buys into (or cares about) DIPS theory. Though I guess I could see how the engine may have a problem developing ratings if it used stats it doesn't need from pitchers.
Not exactly what I meant. I'm no sabermetrics or even stats freak, but it's pretty common to see a sinker ball, ground ball pitcher with a low number of Ks get pretty high ERAs and thus, very low ratings, only because he's not a strikeout machine or because they give up too many HRs.

I've seen pitchers such as Mark Buehrle, Derek Lowe and Chien-Ming Wang (pre-injury) get very low ratings (1.5 stars minus) because of their low K numbers and that's very inaccurate, as these guys should easily be 3.5-4 star pitchers.

If other numbers (mainly ERA) could be edited, then this wouldn't be much of a problem, IMO.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #57
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
thanks for this but im not creating MLB players it is a different league.i have a book with all the stats from the league...maybe ill just average each player out and see how it goes...
im grateful for you guys sparring your time to help me on this.
Well, I've created real Mexican League and *** players, based on their real life stats using the editor and I've gotten very accurate, satisfying results.

So, you should have no problem doing the same, based on the stat book from your league.

Anyways, glad I could help
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but how would the game rate players based solely off ERA? Especially given the way the engine works. For fictional players it doesn't matter, but the game would have to adjust something about real players to make them "better." If anything, a behind the scenes change may be necessary to rank players like that if there's enough evidence that suggests they're underrated. (Also Buehrle is barely above league average last year and this so far anyway. Lowe has been back and forth at times.)

And I'm far less concerned with overall ratings (especially since they're compared to other players at the same position) as I am with actual performance in the game. My experience with Buehrle and Lowe is they do just fine.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #59
Marberi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos View Post
Yeah, but how would the game rate players based solely off ERA? Especially given the way the engine works. For fictional players it doesn't matter, but the game would have to adjust something about real players to make them "better." If anything, a behind the scenes change may be necessary to rank players like that if there's enough evidence that suggests they're underrated. (Also Buehrle is barely above league average last year and this so far anyway. Lowe has been back and forth at times.)

And I'm far less concerned with overall ratings (especially since they're compared to other players at the same position) as I am with actual performance in the game. My experience with Buehrle and Lowe is they do just fine.
Well, my experience with Buehrle has been TERRIBLE lol! Guy's numbers would be awful even at AAA. Ditto for Bronson Arroyo, for instance. Lowe has pretty much been a .500 SP with an ERA in the mid 4's (but again, I think he's been slightly better than that IRL).

At any rate, I wasn't suggesting that it would all be based on ERA alone, obviously. I merely said that the rating system for pitchers is not ideal for me, personally and that I'd like to be able to edit more stats (if possible). I was just giving my personal opinion on the matter and I also said that this is by design, meaning that I know nothing can be done to change it.

Other than that, I have no problem with players' ratings. In fact, I believe that the ratings for pos. players are extremely true to real life, so I don't even consider this an issue.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #60
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At any rate, I wasn't suggesting that it would all be based on ERA alone, obviously. I merely said that the rating system for pitchers is not ideal for me, personally and that I'd like to be able to edit more stats (if possible). I was just giving my personal opinion on the matter and I also said that this is by design, meaning that I know nothing can be done to change it.
I guess you could edit in OOTP5 and then import through the versions!

Actually, while I use roster exporting/importing a lot for various reasons, I've never really looked at the ratings in them... it may be possible to do more that way, I mean, the game obviously can import real players from the Lahman with ERA/H/etc. and convert to ratings. I know the import/export has both ratings and expected stats, so maybe ratings overwrite whatever is in the expected stats, though.