Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

NHL Playoffs - Round Two

1. Anaheim vs Detroit

2. Chicago vs Vancouver

3. Carolina vs Boston

4. Pittsburgh vs Washington

1. The Ducks/Red Wings series should be a rough one, and don't think the Red Wings have forgotten about two seasons ago, 07. Pronger will be a target no doubt. Still, when I look at these two teams and how they've been playing I have to give the edge to Anaheim. Both teams have firepower and can score goals. Both have very solid D who cover well in their own end and can move the puck out quickly. The difference, I believe, is in goal. Osgood hasn't been great all season, and wasn't tested much against Columbus. Hiller on the other hand, has been sensational. He shut down one of the top scoring teams in San Jose and looks very composed.

Ducks in 6

2. Chicago/Vancouver should feature a lot of end to end rushes with fast paced action. Offensively I give the edge to Chicago, more firepower but if the Sedins can keep clicking and Sundin gets it going, this will even out. Defense is solid on both sides and although I think Luongo is the better goalie, nothing I've seen leads me to believe Khabibulin is playing anything but great right now. The Canucks should have a bit of an emotional boost with the return of Taylor Pyatt after his unfortunate ordeal. This is a tough one to call but I think the young guns in Chicago will pull it off.

Blackhawks in 7.

3. Carolina/Boston will be a grinding type series, both teams have speed but the Bruins have a bit more due to their youth. Carolina has plenty of experience though, having won it all a few short years ago. Cam Ward vs Tim Thomas - I just can't give an edge to either here, both are playing at the top of their game. The biggest difference I see between these two is in defense, with the B's having the edge in size. Should be a real "grind it out" series.

Bruins in 7

4. Pittsburgh/Washington, this will be billed as the Crosby vs Ovechkin series and should have some amazing highlight reel plays/goals. The media isn't going to let go of that and those two will garner a lot of attention. This gives Malkin/Semin a chance to shine without the added media pressure. I like the way Varlamov has stepped in and played very well in goal. Fleury has been good too but gave some soft goals in the Philly series I thought. This should be another fast paced series with a lot of end to end rushes. Tough call again, but I'm going with the experience.

Penguins in 6

It's a great time to be a hockey fan

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-29-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
DaCubFan
Minors (Triple A)

Go Blackhawks!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

Wings in 6
Canucks in 5
Bruins in 6
Pens in 7

Of course I'm going to be glued to the seat during the Canucks games, but I'm excited to see Ovechkin go as far as possible in the playoffs too.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
ZiggyPop
Major Leagues

Wings in 6.

I think Osgood makes just the saves he needs to do to keep them alive.

Chicago in 6.

I don't see the Canucks generating enough offense to get by the Hawks. Luongo might steal the serie though.

Carolina in 6.

I got the Canes to go to the Stanley Cup Finals and I am sticking to that.

Pittsburgh in 5.

We will see Theodore in that serie.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I think the Pens and Wings should win pretty easily. Canes/Bruins should be pretty much exactly like the Canes/Devils series - close and brutal. Either team could win.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Jose Cardenal's Afro
Major Leagues

Canucks are going to have to get very physical with the Hawks if they are going to beat them. This should be a great series.

Go Hawks.
Jose Cardenal's Afro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Detroit completely destroyed Columbus and I think the Ducks might be spent after the intensity they played with in their series against the Sharks. Even if I wasn't a Wings fan, I can't see Anaheim winning this series.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Even though the series went to 7 games Washington really should have won some of those early games and wrapped it up in 5 or 6 games.
That combined with the momentum of coming from behind will propel them over Pittsburgh.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
statman
Major Leagues

I was a hockey fan back in the day when the Blackhawks had Bobby Hull, Mikita, Kenny Wharram then Tony O, I never thought I could get back into hockey again, but this team is so exciting to watch am so glad I'm a fan again. I can't wait until the next game, the Blackhawks are goin' all the way. Bringing home Lord Stanley's Cup!!!
OTM Chicago Grizzlies (2010, 2013)
USBLM New York Yankees (2009)
RTBL Baltimore Orioles (2012)
CDL Colorado Rockies (2055)
FOBL Normal Cornbelters (2061-62)
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
phightin
All Star Reserve

There's still an NHL?
phightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Even though the series went to 7 games Washington really should have won some of those early games and wrapped it up in 5 or 6 games.
That combined with the momentum of coming from behind will propel them over Pittsburgh.
gee, whomever wrote the Caps off when they were down 3-1 was way off. They used the reasoning that in the history of the NHL only some number of teams ever came back from a 3-1 deficit. I hate that kind of thinking. First, it proves it has been done, and second, what on earth does that have to do with the Caps, or any other team that may go down 3-1?
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phightin View Post
There's still an NHL?

only ten responses in? wow sounds like the marketing department is improving.

NOt really a big fan of any team sans Vancouver in these matchups for various reasons

That being said, it's going to be Detroit Vancouver, and Pittsburgh Boston in the semi's
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
statman
Major Leagues

Blackhawks looking really good tonight, but after falling behind 2-0 this time they just out skated them the rest of the way. The Builin Wall finally beats the Canucks!
OTM Chicago Grizzlies (2010, 2013)
USBLM New York Yankees (2009)
RTBL Baltimore Orioles (2012)
CDL Colorado Rockies (2055)
FOBL Normal Cornbelters (2061-62)
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

The good thing is that with everyone writing the Caps off it puts all the pressure on Pittsburgh to win. That is an advantage to Washington.

Caps in 7.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
The good thing is that with everyone writing the Caps off it puts all the pressure on Pittsburgh to win. That is an advantage to Washington.

Caps in 7.
Who's "everyone" that's writing the Caps off?

Last edited by Bluenoser; 05-03-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Ranger fans?

Then again I was in that boat sort of. Still not impressive with a team with 1.5 goal threats, average to below average defense and relying on an unproven goalie (then again the goalie arguement isn't that big fo a deal. See Dryden & Roy when they first started out)
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Who's "everyone" that's writing the Caps off?
So far everyone who has commented on that series. Everyone says the Penguins will win and I'm sure that is pretty representative of the general hockey fandome. I'm glad to see it. Hopefully the Pens will underestimate them also.

Last edited by StyxNCa; 05-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Ranger fans?

Then again I was in that boat sort of. Still not impressive with a team with 1.5 goal threats, average to below average defense and relying on an unproven goalie (then again the goalie arguement isn't that big fo a deal. See Dryden & Roy when they first started out)
1.5 goal threats? What does that mean?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
So far everyone who has commented on that series. Everyone says the Penguins will win and I'm sure that is pretty representative of the general hockey fandome. I'm glad to see it. Hopefully the Pens will underestimate them also.
Still haven't answered the question. Who is "everyone"? Sports writers, people on this forum, neighbors, strangers?

The stories I've read (which are nothing more than meaningless opinions anyway), have not favoured either team.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #20
DaCubFan
Minors (Triple A)

The Blackhawks are prooving that they're for real. I think that Vancouver realizes that now! Back home to Chicago nw, the Hawks now have the home ice advantage! Luongo who????