Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
jimbo22
Minors (Single A)

Finances, I just cant understand that side of it.

I love Baseball and have watched it for a good few years now, but being someone that only got into in the last 5/6/7 years of it, the financial side of this game has me scratching my head.

I've had the last 3 versions of this game, and this is one aspect that has held me right back when trying to get into it.

My main question is with regards contract extentions, for example I am the Brewers and half way through the season, looking to extend a few contracts. for this we'll talk about Prince Fielder, now he is on a 1 year contract which then goes to arbitration at the end of the season. I suppose the first question I have to ask is..... does his arbitration estimate get taken off the budget I have available for contracts next season.

Because when I go into offer him a contract, he's looking for $9million a year, but it says that I only have $3million (ish) for next season and looking at my squad, i'd need to replace 19 players with this $3million.

Being into Soccer as the Americans call it, is a little easier as there are less numbers to worry about and no real budgets to work to.

Any help would be appreciated, and if it doesnt make sense i'll try to say it another way.
jimbo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

You're not alone. I've been playing the game for years and I still am confused over a lot of the financial stuff.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Arbitration estimates are figured into what you have to spend... meaning you're holding out some money expecting that's what you'll have to pay him. So if he's expected to make 4 million in arbitration, the number it shows as what you have for extensions is already taking that 4 mil into account. Being that strapped, either try to lowball Prince, or let him go to arb. Worry about using that 3 mil to hold onto one of your other guys that won't go to arbitration.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
ike121212
All Star Reserve

It sounds like you might just want to turn off financials.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
jimbo22
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike121212 View Post
It sounds like you might just want to turn off financials.
id rather try to get an understanding. I like the fact that you work to budgets, but at the moment i know jack about it

thanks for the replies folks
jimbo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22 View Post
id rather try to get an understanding. I like the fact that you work to budgets, but at the moment i know jack about it

thanks for the replies folks
I don't see how it is that tricky to learn, especially since OOTP9 now factors potential arbitration numbers into the payroll for the next season (which prior OOTPs did not). You have X amount to spend on 25 (or more) players. By default, players earn the minimum for three seasons and then have three seasons in 'arbitration' (which isn't REALLY arbitration, but hey) in which their salary is generally going to be decided by how good they are. After that, you discuss their future contracts with them. Wham, bam, you've spent X amount of dollars.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Ian Collins
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Jimbo22,

Take a look in the online manual. Search Financials. Battists gives a clear explanation of the Finances Page. I found this helped a lot in understanding how the finances worked in OOTP.

Ian
Ian Collins is offline   Reply With Quote