Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #1
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Exit Velocity?

Where do I find the information on that? Is it in a widget or something?

Is it tracked now? Will it be a statistic somewhere?
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Will be part of a patch, it will be listed in game logs and as a opup when you move the mouse over the hits on the spray chart in the player profile.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #3
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

Sweet, did not know that was coming.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Will it be something that we're able to see in-game, in the 3D or webcast view?
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

It will be in the game logs at least. We'll think about other ways to make it more visible too
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
It will be in the game logs at least. We'll think about other ways to make it more visible too
Ugh, I don't enjoy listening to hairhats talk about exit velocity during real broadcasts. Not looking forward to seeing it associated with the likes of Willie Horton or Al Kaline,
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Ugh, I don't enjoy listening to hairhats talk about exit velocity during real broadcasts. Not looking forward to seeing it associated with the likes of Willie Horton or Al Kaline,

Yep. And when Willie put one into the upper deck at Tiger Stadium it's safe to assume the exit velocity was really high. We didn't need statcast to tell us that.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

I hate that stuff too...

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, let's say we knew Jimmy Foxx's average exit velocity. That would have told us what about him that we didn't already know?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Grumpy get-off-my-lawners notwithstanding, I am super excited about the inclusion of anything exit velocity-related in the game.

I would be ECSTATIC if this was included in the leaderboards and if it was an additional variable I could consider for player acquisitions. Is this a possibility or is it planned to be included in future patches?

Also, on a related note, I would also love launch angle to be something I can track for my players and to be included as a leaderboard statistic. For example, I would love to be able to filter for average launch angles in between, say, 10 and 25 degrees. My single biggest OOTP dream would actually be to apply 2 filters simultaneously - one for average launch angle between 10 and 25 degrees, and another for average exit velocity over 90 MPH.

This has me thinking - say, in this theoretical OOTP world where exit velocities and launch angles are tracked, you have a player that has high exit velocities but a low launch angle that results in high ground ball rates. Can/would the coaching system ever get advanced to the point where you can influence the hitter's tendencies? If you can coax a higher launch angle out of that player, that will yield a more productive batted-ball profile.

Last edited by x McLovin x; 03-22-2019 at 11:56 AM.
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #11
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
Grumpy get-off-my-lawners notwithstanding,

This grumpy one says the question still stands; What does it tell you that you didn't already know? Stanton hits 500' home runs, Billy Hamilton doesn't. Knowing the average exit velocity sheds no light on either player.

I'll take it a step further, say we have a player who consistantly hits 35-40 hrs a year at pretty much the same rate per ab. But his average exit velocity isn't has high as some others who hit HRs at a lower rate per AB. From this we conclude...........what from average exit velocity?

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 03-22-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
Seriously, let's say we knew Jimmy Foxx's average exit velocity. That would have told us what about him that we didn't already know?
It tells you whether he deserved the hits or outs based on how hard he hit the ball on a particular day. Too many deranged fools think that seeing 0-5 or 5-5 in a box score tells you everything you need to know about how well a player is playing when it literally tells you nothing.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
This grumpy one says the question still stands; What does it tell you that you didn't already know? Stanton hits 500' home runs, Billy Hamilton doesn't. Knowing the average exit velocity sheds no light on either player.

I'll take it a step further, say we have a player who consistantly hits 35-40 hrs a year at pretty much the same rate per ab. But his average exit velocity isn't has high as some others who hit HRs at a lower rate per AB. From this we conclude...........what from average exit velocity?
Try judging a player on one at-bat without exit velocity. Did he hit the ball well or not? Is a hit that was hit 120 mph equal to a hit that was hit 40 mph? Which one is more likely to be a hit in the future? If a player goes 0-5 with an average exit velocity of 110, did he have a bad game? If he does that for a few games in a row, should he try to alter his swing or approach to try to get out of his "slump"?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #14
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
It tells you whether he deserved the hits or outs based on how hard he hit the ball on a particular day. Too many deranged fools think that seeing 0-5 or 5-5 in a box score tells you everything you need to know about how well a player is playing when it literally tells you nothing.

You think an educated observer like a manager or hitting coach can't tell the difference between a lucky seeing eyed bloop when the batter was fooled and swung in self defense and a hard hit line drive that was caught because the fielder couldn't get out of the way? C'mon.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I'll take it a step further, say we have a player who consistantly hits 35-40 hrs a year at pretty much the same rate per ab. But his average exit velocity isn't has high as some others who don't hit HRs at nearly the same rate. From this we conclude...........what?
Let me pose a scenario for you: say you have two players with little historical information and service time, and to this point have approximately equal home run rates. Let's also say you are interested in acquiring players that have a higher chance of hitting more extra base hits/home runs in the future. Would you not consider those players' average exit velocities and average launch angles to be key variables in that assessment?

My purposes for wanting these stats may not align with yours and that's fine. That doesn't make these stats any less credible, or useful, however. Would exit velocity and launch angle provide any additional 'useful' information for a player you already know has a large history of being an incredible power hitter? Well, not really, but it would sure be fun to see it anyway and see how they compare with modern players, right?

I'm generally of the opinion that including more search parameters can only really improve the overall user experience...you can always look at whatever variables you want to look at, but I would find it hard to believe that having more tools/information at your disposable to make better informed decisions, if you so choose, is a bad idea. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
You think an educated observer like a manager or hitting coach can't tell the difference between a lucky seeing eyed bloop when the batter was fooled and swung in self defense and a hard hit line drive that was caught because the fielder couldn't get out of the way? C'mon.
Let's hear how you do it while looking at a box score since you don't even want the data collected at all.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Try judging a player on one at-bat without exit velocity. Did he hit the ball well or not? Is a hit that was hit 120 mph equal to a hit that was hit 40 mph? Which one is more likely to be a hit in the future? If a player goes 0-5 with an average exit velocity of 110, did he have a bad game? If he does that for a few games in a row, should he try to alter his swing or approach to try to get out of his "slump"?
Well said.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #18
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For over a hundred years, without knowing the average exit velocities, baseball people knew the difference between a ball that was hard hit but at 'em and one that was not that fell in for a hit.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
CField17
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
You must listen to Tigers radio broadcasts, thus being subjected to Dan Dickerson’s endless analysis of walk rates/hard hit rates etc. Yaaawwn.
CField17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #20
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
For over a hundred years, without knowing the average exit velocities, baseball people knew the difference between a ball that was hard hit but at 'em and one that was not that fell in for a hit.
I guess you could say that if you watched every single inning of every game and kept track of every hit ball to quantify anything at all. But not in OOTP since the animations don't directly correspond to reality.

Personally, I don't do that, so I prefer exit velocities which I will use to determine good or bad luck in small sample sizes. Just watching games isn't going to be as quantifiable as actual numbers over periods of time.

Last edited by zrog2000; 03-22-2019 at 12:19 PM.