Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 10-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Adding Statistical Depth: Career Leaderboards, League Histories

Some of you may agree that one much needed enhancement to iOOTP is the ability to review career leaderboards for various key statistics such as total hits, home runs, rbis, etc. Currently, it's only possible to see a very limited "Top 3" leaderboard for the current season. When the season ends, the leaderboard resets. While I understand that the developers of iOOTP have no intention or plans to increase the complexity of the game by including features found only in the PC/Mac-based game, I don't believe that adding the ability to review career and historical statistics would make the game more complex--it would simply make it better.

I recently came across a competing sports management game called "Pro Strategy Football," which is available on iOS (and maybe Android, not sure). The developer of this game is adding a "Career Mode" to the game that will include the ability to access and review career and historical statistics. I think iOOTP should embrace this enhancement and do something similar for iOOTP 2015. Here is a link to the PSF developer describing "Career Mode".
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
IAmC
Major Leagues

Agreed completely. If the information is already there, why not allow reporting on it?
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
Agreed completely. If the information is already there, why not allow reporting on it?

It's not there, unfortunately. Go back through the "Past Champions", and if you go far enough (15-20) years, you'll see a lot of missing stats. The problem is that everybody gets deleted when they retire, excluding Hall of Famers. That's why if you go back 10 years on a Player History screen and see "Traded to ___ for ____", and that player was old at the time, he won't show up. You'll get a completely different player.

The first step is to retain players who have any ML service time, as well as their stats and history. The minor league schlubs can stay deleted though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
wodi
All Star Reserve

there's no way the game can handle that kind of memory, in terms of keeping all players stats in the game.

I've mentioned before, I'd like to at least see the Past Champions teams remain listed

Last edited by wodi; 10-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Walkoffman
Minors (Single A)

If a career leader board is not feasible, how about creating career batting and career pitching stats views in the Active Player List? Selecting a major stat could at least display the active leaders.
Walkoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Wisnoodles
Major Leagues

Export an almanac option at the end of each year? That way if someone doesn't export it then it gets erased and each year it's overwritten?
Wisnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

I agree completely, and it's one of the suggestions I had for 2014. (I suggested league records instead of career leaders, but its pretty much the same thing.)

Wodi, no need for complete stats for all players forever, just the non-hyperlinked names and stats for the top 10 in each major category, such as wins, saves, home runs, steals, etc.

I'd also like to see a year by year breakdown of the major awards, so I can see who won the pitcher of the year, batting title, rookie of the year, etc., the past x number of years.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
wodi
All Star Reserve

I agree, I'd like to see the past award winners.

I guess your top 10 idea makes sense. I was thinking about it from a perspective of having to keep all stats forever and then determining the top 10, which is not possible.

But I guess if you kept the running list of top 10 say Homeruns all time, once anyone who was not on that list retired, their stats would be removed and the top 10 would stay.

I'd like to see the past award winners, past championship teams, and top maybe 5 or so for hr/rbi/hits, SB, w/K/Sv/ERA for all time. But even that might be too much memory.... I'm not exactly sure of the specifics.

Is this even possible? Or does the game need to keep the full player in the database to keep any semblance of his name around? For instance is it possible in the Past Champions tab to have just the players names on the team, and remove the stats....that way you don't have to keep the whole record of the player in the database, just their names.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

No idea if it's really feasible... In theory, a career leaders / record holders list would require very little memory. Having complete stats for previous world series teams might, especially after you have played more than 20-30 seasons.

Along those lines, I wish previous champions showed the playoff stats rather than the regular season stats, but that's probably not feasible since I believe playoff stats are deleted after each season. Sigh. I'd gladly accept a league that could only exist for 50 seasons if it meant more stats could be kept.
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote