Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Injuries---your thoughts

I've always been a Normal or High Realistic guy when it comes to injuries. Sure it sucks when a player goes down during a great season, but in the end injuries add to a leagues storyline.

What setting do y'all use?

Lately I've been wondering if maybe "low" might be the best setting. Reason being, recalc already zaps players over time, so maybe injuries are serving as a double zap. Would low injuries and high player fatigue be the best way to go? Just curious as to what everyone thinks.

My current historical with full minors is using the high realistic setting.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Pirates
Major Leagues

I always play with normal fatigue and injuries set to, "Low".
This game is like a time machine to me. When I play the games out, I can see the actual players, playing in my mind. So, I don't want teams like, "The Big Red Machine", decimated by injuries when I play them. I want to play their best.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates View Post
I always play with normal fatigue and injuries set to, "Low".
This game is like a time machine to me. When I play the games out, I can see the actual players, playing in my mind. So, I don't want teams like, "The Big Red Machine", decimated by injuries when I play them. I want to play their best.
Funny you mention the Red Machine. My last season(1973), the Reds pitching rotation was blown to bits by injuries. Finished the season with Jack Billingham and bunch of no names.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

I usually play low, but only because it's always seemed to me much closer to what normal should be. You'll still get a decent amount of injuries during the year, and certain would-be stars end up with injuries sidetracking their careers.

But when I've done normal, i honestly feel like i lose at least a quarter of my roster for 8 weeks before spring training ends. Maybe I'm wrong and that's closer to the real world, but it just seems like an overkill. I'm fine with injuries, not having them would make historical revision or HRD sims worthless. But I don't really want an injury to a guy every other day.
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Reed
All Star Starter

I did not think about players being double zapped with recalc on and development off but that does make some sense, at least as far as playing time is concerned and if their injuries affected their real life stats (ratings) when they started playing again.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I go high as I sometimes get a super star replacement who nobody ain't never heard of. luck of the draw and all that.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
I go high as I sometimes get a super star replacement who nobody ain't never heard of. luck of the draw and all that.
Exactly. This is a big reason to use high or at least normal. It's fun to see some nobody get a shot and be a surprise. That player in my current game is Bill McNulty. Dude played in a grand total of 9 big leagues games, 29 at bats with 0 home runs. In my game he's some how managed 40+ home runs over the 72-73 seasons.

Ugh! In the end, I don't think there's an easy answer to this question.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
so49as
Major Leagues

I usually play on High Realistic, but on low when in challenge mode (which you can't change).

On my '72 Indians team (on low), the starting pitchers lost about 100 days. In '73, they lost about 154, but that was just 2 injuries, 1 four days, the other 4-5 months.

On my '87 Cardinal team (high realistic), the starting pitchers lost about 96 days, but those were spread from about 6 injuries, with the longest being 7-8 weeks. In '88, it's been 4 days in spring training.

I like the challenge of depth being an issue and being able to weather the injuries as they come.

I always use the game's development engine and never recalc.
so49as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Exactly. This is a big reason to use high or at least normal. It's fun to see some nobody get a shot and be a surprise. That player in my current game is Bill McNulty. Dude played in a grand total of 9 big leagues games, 29 at bats with 0 home runs. In my game he's some how managed 40+ home runs over the 72-73 seasons.

Ugh! In the end, I don't think there's an easy answer to this question.
This is exactly why I use high injuries, with TCR at 145, it then becomes my own universe with changes creating new studs, new duds. Reading things in this sub forum is making me ponder whether to change fatigue from Normal to High.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
This is exactly why I use high injuries, with TCR at 145, it then becomes my own universe with changes creating new studs, new duds. Reading things in this sub forum is making me ponder whether to change fatigue from Normal to High.
I'm a glutton for punishment. I use 200 as my TCR.

I've made a decision this morning. I started a new random debut last night. I think I'm going to go no injuries, very high fatigue with this one and let the chips fall where they may. I want to see what type of career numbers I get without injuries derailing a players career. Going with the 200 TCR. 3 year recalc double weighted.

One thing I'm doing that I've never done before is using 2013 as my start year and it will be my base year through out play. I'm using Garlon's setting though.....Low for pitchers stamina, normal for relief pitcher usage and Very often for closer usage.

One thing I'm having trouble with is do I use the DH for both leagues or go AL DH, NL no DH? Started with actual MLB rules. I was using normal as my setting for pinch hit for pitchers. Thinking I may need to up that to often. Too many times I'm seeing the pitcher bat, only to get removed without even throwing a pitch to start the next half inning. That drives me nuts.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-26-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Good luck, let us know how it goes along with the possible pitfalls which will stop me from making the same mistakes, maybe.

Last edited by JaBurns; 04-27-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Good luck, let us know how it goes along with the possible pitfalls which will stop me fro making the same mistakes, maybe.
I would love to make this league stick and play it right up to when 21 comes out. My goal is to finally create a league and play out at least 50 seasons.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I would love to make this league stick and play it right up to when 21 comes out. My goal is to finally create a league and play out at least 50 seasons.
That is always my goal is to find a setup with a league that I can continue from version to version but no luck yet. Maybe all the fun is in trying to get the perfect setup?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I really enjoyed my first season with no injuries...and kind of very high fatigue. Like an idiot I forgot to change fatigue from the default average to very high when I set up the league. Discovered it some time in June. Ugh!

My new dilemma. I was using low for stamina, normal for use of relievers and Very Often for Closer use. I was using 6 man bullpens in both leagues, 14 position players. This seemed perfect, until I started seeing teams leave relief pitchers in the game totally exhausted. Started checking and almost every team featured completely yellow bullpens before a game even started. I upped the bullpen size to 7 and this seemed to help.

So, I'm trying to figure out what I want to use for the following season.

I'm leaning towards upping pitcher stamina to normal and going back to the 6 man bullpens. This is 2013 and I know managers are relief pitcher happy, but at times it almost seems like OOTP's AI is making pitching changes just for the sake of doing so. Next thing you know the game goes into extra innings and the team has no pitchers left.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I'm doing "Normal / OOTP Classic" in a league that's currently in the 1880s. In some respects it feels like "Low" would be more accurate - teams at the time regularly carried just a backup catcher and a single utility player, and then expected most of their players to play every game - but I like the variability and the chance to try out players during the season. Also, to be truly realistic I'd have to do something with the pitchers, as they tended to throw a lot of innings back then but almost all of them flamed out by the time they turned 25 (which you would probably do too if you threw more than 400 innings in one year).

One thing I *am* doing is being a bit hyper on batting average and won-lost records. The former is *really* natural because BA really is probably 80-90% of a player's offensive value, depending on their speed. The latter is a bit tougher to hang with but a 35 year old who goes 11-16 is much less likely to get another chance to show he can pitch in the big leagues than a 23 year old who does the same.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote