Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

2024 NFL Off Season thread

Steve Wilkes got fired as SF DC. After one season.
He was the Cards coach. For one season.
He was interim HC for the Panthers, yet wasn't kept despite turning the season around.

What is wrong w/Steve Wilkes?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Old 02-15-2024, 10:43 AM   #2
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Steve Wilkes got fired as SF DC. After one season.
He was the Cards coach. For one season.
He was interim HC for the Panthers, yet wasn't kept despite turning the season around.

What is wrong w/Steve Wilkes?
Internal disagreements. That's the only thing I can think of. The 49ers gave up 12 points to the Chiefs in regulation if you remove that gift they gave them on special teams. It was certainly nothing he did as DC.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:09 AM   #3
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Coordinators that reach the SB don't get fired. They get hired as HC's.

This is one of the reasons I don't like the Shanahans. I don't think they can ever take responsibility for their mistakes & on the sly try to make others the scapegoats to take the heat off of them.

But this goes into what I think is Wilks "problem". Bad bosses. Bidwell, Tepper & now Shanahan.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-17-2024, 09:53 AM   #4
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I think it was blazingly obvious that Shanny threw Wilkes under the bus because his offense could only score 19 points in regulation and just a field goal in OT. Granted, the Chiefs had a good defense this year. Everyone was gassed by the time overtime hit and Mahomes had already begun to move the ball pretty well at the end of the game. I don't know, it felt like an inevitability, that final drive, to the point that if I was in Shanny's shoes I'd retire and go into professional bowling I mean I'd have gone for it on 4th.

The timing could not be worse for the 49ers too; now they're pretty well stuck trying to find a passable DC on an offense-headed team from someone's position coach roster after everyone good has been signed. Oh yeah, and the head coach has a track record of throwing you under the bus (see also: 28-3). Good luck with that...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 02-17-2024, 11:36 PM   #5
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Coordinators that reach the SB don't get fired. They get hired as HC's.

This is one of the reasons I don't like the Shanahans. I don't think they can ever take responsibility for their mistakes & on the sly try to make others the scapegoats to take the heat off of them.

But this goes into what I think is Wilks "problem". Bad bosses. Bidwell, Tepper & now Shanahan.
How the heck do you fire your DC, if he got you to the Super Bowl? Yikes!
Old 02-18-2024, 03:13 PM   #6
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
How the heck do you fire your DC, if he got you to the Super Bowl? Yikes!
There were issues. Probably for longer than we think. From what I've heard, the coach had to call a timeout during the 4th quarter to stop a defense. The coach and DC were not on the same page. There were also reports of player complaints.

Success doesn't matter when people don't get along. Jimmy Johnson was run out of town after winning two consecutive super bowls. Talk about nuts!!
Old 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM   #7
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
There were issues. Probably for longer than we think. From what I've heard, the coach had to call a timeout during the 4th quarter to stop a defense. The coach and DC were not on the same page. There were also reports of player complaints.

Success doesn't matter when people don't get along. Jimmy Johnson was run out of town after winning two consecutive super bowls. Talk about nuts!!
If I am hired as the DC, and called a defense, JUST to be shown up with a timeout by the coach, then I'm gonna walk right out of the stadium.

I have had several bosses attempt to micro-manage me, none successfully.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:57 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Were there issues? Or were there leaks from the Shanahans to the media? Shanahan operates like a Romulan, not a Klingon.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-24-2024, 11:12 AM   #9
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Were there issues? Or were there leaks from the Shanahans to the media? Shanahan operates like a Romulan, not a Klingon.
LOL, are you saying he is without honor?
Old 02-24-2024, 11:43 AM   #10
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL, are you saying he is without honor?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-25-2024, 05:49 AM   #11
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I am hired as the DC, and called a defense, JUST to be shown up with a timeout by the coach, then I'm gonna walk right out of the stadium.

I have had several bosses attempt to micro-manage me, none successfully.
Sometimes you crack me up. Don't get me wrong, I get you. I'm probably worse than you. I have to work alone, and with little to no supervisor interaction. Which is why I'm collecting tolls again.

It's different when you have a bunch of guys under you that are depending on you. You can't walk off on them and blame someone else. It never works out well. He did what he had to do at season's end.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:06 AM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Brady or Manning would be able to handle their business this way.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #13
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sometimes you crack me up. Don't get me wrong, I get you. I'm probably worse than you. I have to work alone, and with little to no supervisor interaction. Which is why I'm collecting tolls again.

It's different when you have a bunch of guys under you that are depending on you. You can't walk off on them and blame someone else. It never works out well. He did what he had to do at season's end.
I ran a warehouse with 240 guys. I came downstairs from a senior analyst position. Teamsters, and some pretty rough customers. Day one, I did what I could to make their lives easier, and they knew it. Why? My job depended on their productivity..so why would I make it tougher to move cases? Not saying I'm perfect, far from it...but I took VERY good care of my guys, by stopping the flow of BS from above.

Edit to add...the Market Unit General Manager (3,800 employees), asked me to go downstairs to the warehouse. After that, my problems went away. Everyone knew I was Chuck's guy.

Last edited by dsvitak; 02-26-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:16 PM   #14
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think Brady or Manning would be able to handle their business this way.
I don't think Brady or Manning had people who'd want to get into a fistfight with a complete stranger who used to throw a football for a living either. Glad to see that Cam gave it pretty good here. I'll be honest, I was always a big fan of his.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 02-27-2024, 09:22 AM   #15
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I ran a warehouse with 240 guys. I came downstairs from a senior analyst position. Teamsters, and some pretty rough customers. Day one, I did what I could to make their lives easier, and they knew it. Why? My job depended on their productivity..so why would I make it tougher to move cases? Not saying I'm perfect, far from it...but I took VERY good care of my guys, by stopping the flow of BS from above.

Edit to add...the Market Unit General Manager (3,800 employees), asked me to go downstairs to the warehouse. After that, my problems went away. Everyone knew I was Chuck's guy.
Het, I get it. I've been union all of my life. That's probably not an area we ever had a difference of opinion. But I'm not even close to the same person you knew years ago.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:20 PM   #16
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Breaking down the game film of the Cam jump.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-28-2024, 07:18 PM   #17
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Het, I get it. I've been union all of my life. That's probably not an area we ever had a difference of opinion. But I'm not even close to the same person you knew years ago.
Neither am I. I am a LOT more tolerant. I know..tell that to rich12545.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:29 PM   #18
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

According to the NFLPA, the Chiefs were 31st in rankings by the players.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ms-chiefs-31st

This may well be true, but I am sure that this didn't stop them from wearing their new rings!
Old 03-01-2024, 07:58 PM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

It sickens me the amount of breaks Andy Reid's son Britt has gotten.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-01-2024, 11:49 PM   #20
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It sickens me the amount of breaks Andy Reid's son Britt has gotten.
I live in Missouri, and I am not the least bit surprised by this. Our Governor, Mike Parsons, is an idiot, as is our Attorney General, AND our Senator (Hawley). Missouri can aggregate ignoramuses like no other state.
Closed Thread