Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
GamerGramp
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Womens Historical & Fictional Leagues

I think the title says it all. The addition of women's leagues would be wonderful. 'A League of Their Own', anyone?

(Then we could say things like, "Are you crying? There's no crying! There's no crying in baseball!")

GG
GamerGramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

In before s-storm...

Seriously though, I would agree with it being added, but there are a lot of people here who are very opposed to it.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
GamerGramp
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
...a lot of people here who are very opposed to it.
Silliness!

It could be an option that is turned off by default.

Don't like it? Don't use it. But don't prevent others from enjoying what would otherwise be a perfectly valid option.

GG
GamerGramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

A good idea, but it would actually require a lot of work to implement, as all the reports (which are hardcoded) and storylines use male pronouns exclusively to refer to the players.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

I'd like it as well, but from what Markus has said in the past I doubt it'll ever happen
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I'd like it as well, but from what Markus has said in the past I doubt it'll ever happen
Yeah, IIRC he's said it's too much hassle for something not many people would use.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGramp View Post
I think the title says it all. The addition of women's leagues would be wonderful. 'A League of Their Own', anyone?

(Then we could say things like, "Are you crying? There's no crying! There's no crying in baseball!")

GG
There is this though, if you're interested. It's pretty cool, though the game still thinks the girls are guys.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I honestly see woman baseball, if added, being something people try then just revert back. I personally have no interest in it. Especially since there really is no overlap between men's and woman's baseball. Perhaps if international tournaments was added, this might appeal more.

Last edited by dave1927p; 11-09-2014 at 08:54 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Why can't it be done now?

Use pics instead of facegen choose whatever women you choose and compile them. There are thousands upon thousands of women in softball uniforms you could use

The height and weight works

Only issue is the male pronouns which are easily ignored
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
The height and weight works
In what sense? Women are on average something like 5 inches shorter than men and quite a lot lighter, so the heights and weights OOTP generates aren't exactly realistic for women. Sure, it's possible to edit every player in the league, but it would be a lot of work.

The other alternative would be to treat it like the pronouns and ignore it, and "role play" that if it says someone is 6'10" they are actually 6'3" (numbers based on the tallest guy and tallest girl I know...).

Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
subtle
Minors (Single A)

Since there's a setting in OOTP to modify the occurance of facial hair league-wide, would it be too much to add a league-wide modifier for height and weight and gender or leave open the option for it to be changed with some sort of mod? Remember that the men players in MLB 100 years ago were also a lot smaller than the men in MLB today so this would also allow for an enhanced realism in historical leagues.

Storylines would have to be re-written but I'm sure that wouldn't be a big deal for people who like dealing with the storylines. This is a pretty niche community so I don't understand hand-waving this away as "Something not enough people use". By a show of hands, how many people pay a whole lot of attention to the different PBP dialogue written each year?

Last edited by subtle; 11-11-2014 at 07:34 PM.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle View Post
Storylines would have to be re-written but I'm sure that wouldn't be a big deal for people who like dealing with the storylines. This is a pretty niche community so I don't understand hand-waving this away as "Something not enough people use". By a show of hands, how many people pay a whole lot of attention to the different PBP dialogue written each year?
Actually this would be a much bigger problem than is readily apparent. There just aren't any people that like dealing with storylines, to be painfully honest. There's pretty well only one person on the beta team who does 90% of the work on storylines, and it seems like he's been getting burnt out on them lately.

Plus a lot of the storyline triggers and modifiers don't really work right now, so adding more to do with men/women that may not work right either could be a bit of a mess.

Re-writing everything else would be a nightmare as well.

No one here's more in favor of seeing women in OOTP than I am but I just don't see any chance it happens anytime soon, especially since Markus just doesn't seem too interested.

I feel bad that I'm being kind of a wet blanket here, but I just don't want everyone getting excited about something that's almost certainly not going to happen before OOTP20, if at all.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 11-11-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
subtle
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Actually this would be a much bigger problem than is readily apparent. There just aren't any people that like dealing with storylines, to be painfully honest. There's pretty well only one person on the beta team who does 90% of the work on storylines, and it seems like he's been getting burnt out on them lately.

Plus a lot of the storyline triggers and modifiers don't really work right now, so adding more to do with men/women that may not work right either could be a bit of a mess.

No one here's more in favor of seeing women in OOTP than I am but I just don't see any chance it happens anytime soon, especially since Markus just doesn't seem too interested.

I feel bad that I'm being kind of a wet blanket here, but I just don't want everyone getting excited about something that's almost certainly not going to happen before OOTP20, if at all.

No it's fine. To be honest, I think it's important for the team to ask themselves if the storylines are worth enough to keep developing at this point. As far as I can tell, they haven't worked well for years. Everyone I know who plays OOTP usually turns them off (but that's not a good sample, I realize and is just how we play). If it's just one person working on them, and he's getting burned out, doesn't that say more about the lack of interest in them?
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #14
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle View Post
No it's fine. To be honest, I think it's important for the team to ask themselves if the storylines are worth enough to keep developing at this point. As far as I can tell, they haven't worked well for years. Everyone I know who plays OOTP usually turns them off (but that's not a good sample, I realize and is just how we play). If it's just one person working on them, and he's getting burned out, doesn't that say more about the lack of interest in them?
Yeah, I hear you.

Thing is, I think everyone (on the beta and dev teams, not necessarily on the forums of course) thinks they will be a really fantastic feature, with just a little more time and tlc. They do improve each year imo, just maybe not as quickly as you might hope. By OOTP20, when we get women's baseball, they'll probably be pretty awesome. It just takes time.

That's the deal with a lot of stuff in OOTP since the team is so small and so much is done by volunteers.

To be perfectly honest, my own personal baby, the MLB roster set, really stunk for the first few years it was in the game. I remember being a regular user of the game then and wondering what on earth the folks making the rosters were doing and how they could possibly be so screwed up. But it was just a matter of time before they got better and better.

I think the storylines have seen, and will continue to see, similar growth. It's just going to take time and maybe the addition of the right people to the storyline team.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 11-12-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've been writing a few extra storylines (mostly making British versions of the US only ones, like the one about a championship team visiting the White House), and you are right, it is a bit of a hassle. Especially because I don't really know which triggers and modifiers actually work properly.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #16
BradC
All Star Starter

It would be fun to have something like this in the game, but it's one of those "amount of work needed vs. benefit gained" equations, and this one just doesn't make sense for us, unfortunately. A lot of work would be needed to make it function properly, and we doubt very few people would be that interested in it.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote