Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Important OOTPMods.com Update

Updates to OOTPMods.com are suspended at the moment as we address some major issues that have resulted from integration of more mods with Add-Ons Central, and particularly the All-In-One mod.

Bandwidth and hardware usage have skyrocketed, and there has been some confusion and some missteps from the hosting company.

I am going to work with Jazzrack to hopefully resolve the problems by hosting all mods on his dedicated server and using that location for Add-Ons Central. We cannot use free file sharing services for Add-Ons Central. It requires an XML file and ideally a dedicated server connection that we can manage.

But there is a long-term implication here as well. If we continue to add mods to Add-Ons Central, that calls more attention to them, increases usage, and thus increases bandwidth and wear on the host server. As this occurs, the costs could increase, no matter who is hosting the actual files. And that could push OOTMods.com into a need for a much more robust and costly hosting plan.

I'm hoping to avoid this for now, but as more All-In-One and other mods are developed, we may have to revisit this. If so, then there will need to be a major fundraising effort to allow us to integrate more mods for installation from within OOTP. Hosting costs could easily reach $200 per month of more in order to handle the heavy requirements of increased file serving.

Anyway, I wanted to provide this update for those who may be wondering about new updates or may have encountered issues earlier this week when the site was down due to the unexpected bandwidth and hardware overload.

Thanks to all mod creators and users for your patience and understanding. The site is running fine now, and I'll be taking steps to keep it running. The bigger question is what the limit will be for working with Add-Ons Central.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for keeping us posted and let us know what we can do to help out!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

i have been hosting ootp mod files in some form since version 6, love doing it, would love to continue.

lets face it, pads did all the work i just use my other websites to subsidize the costs, i don't really do much that i otherwise wouldn't be doing anyway.

and BTW. you should really get a new host either way, i know how much serverload & bandwidth get used around release, even if i assume a 20% increase from historical peaks you still shouldn't be in the same zip code for server limits of any kind.

and really the add-ons central is nothing more than a glorified file server, i could put together a PC of spare parts, plug it into my fiber connection here at home and it would be fine for all but release peak. even then it would just be slow. not that i have any interest in doing that, but my pont is the server load is less than say the same traffic on a wordpress or something website.

sorry about the soapbox

i am more than happy to help out

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 04-20-2012 at 03:45 AM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
soadeathdealer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Updates to OOTPMods.com are suspended at the moment as we address some major issues that have resulted from integration of more mods with Add-Ons Central, and particularly the All-In-One mod.

Bandwidth and hardware usage have skyrocketed, and there has been some confusion and some missteps from the hosting company.

I am going to work with Jazzrack to hopefully resolve the problems by hosting all mods on his dedicated server and using that location for Add-Ons Central. We cannot use free file sharing services for Add-Ons Central. It requires an XML file and ideally a dedicated server connection that we can manage.

But there is a long-term implication here as well. If we continue to add mods to Add-Ons Central, that calls more attention to them, increases usage, and thus increases bandwidth and wear on the host server. As this occurs, the costs could increase, no matter who is hosting the actual files. And that could push OOTMods.com into a need for a much more robust and costly hosting plan.

I'm hoping to avoid this for now, but as more All-In-One and other mods are developed, we may have to revisit this. If so, then there will need to be a major fundraising effort to allow us to integrate more mods for installation from within OOTP. Hosting costs could easily reach $200 per month of more in order to handle the heavy requirements of increased file serving.

Anyway, I wanted to provide this update for those who may be wondering about new updates or may have encountered issues earlier this week when the site was down due to the unexpected bandwidth and hardware overload.

Thanks to all mod creators and users for your patience and understanding. The site is running fine now, and I'll be taking steps to keep it running. The bigger question is what the limit will be for working with Add-Ons Central.
And my server will continue to help out and back up urs/jazzrack.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Leagues

OOTP

POTD: Vermont/Co-Commish
MTBL: League Closed
The Show: Jacksonville Bombers
RFTP : Braves/co-commish: League Closed
HRBL: Commish: League Closed

DDSPF

WWPF- Miami

CSFL- Tampa

USFL: New Orleans