Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

What are Players on Reserve roster doing?

I like playing promotion/relegation leagues, usually custom ones. I have always set them up with no minor leagues, using reserve rosters.

What are the players on reserve rosters presumed to be doing, when not playing? Is this affected by the Development budget?

My familiarity with pro/rel comes from soccer where players not on the current roster are loaned to lower leagues or play reserve squad games. I do not want to try and replicate that in OOTP, but was curious how the engine handled these players.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Players on the reserve roster develop, and I'm pretty sure that money put into development helps them along. What they're actually doing is a black box. Player loans and "friendly" games are beyond the scope of OOTP.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

They act stoicly.

in lieu of a mil system, it keeps players not on the active roster ready to play. so, they don't accrue rust and should develop as normal at MLB level.

results can have a very minor impact on development. nothing to be concerned about. they can equally have a minimal if not invisible negative impact when they play poorly... flip a coin.

they are practicing and keeping ready to be interchangeable with your active roster.

fwiw.... if someone rots on the reserve roster for years and doesn't play ever, he will rot away at some point, likely prematurely -- if anything like a league with an mil system. if i have a guy not doing much on bench for 2-3 years, it typically has a negative impact.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-13-2019 at 03:41 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

From what I can tell, players on the reserve roster develop normally as far as basic ratings go, but they do not gain experience at any positions as they would if they were playing in the minors.

I always make a point of inviting promising young reserves to spring training so that they can get position experience.

Some players enter the draft with good fielding ratings and enough position experience to show decent ratings at one or more positions. Others have similarly good fielding ratings but not enough position experience - these are the ones that especially need to play in spring training.
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the input. I was looking at trying to create a pro-rel system that also uses Minor Leagues of some sort, maybe AA and A ball, rather than reserve roster, but hadn't tried it out yet.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote