Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #21
chazzycat
All Star Starter

They could just remove the pack rewards from historical mode while leaving it for live teams. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

For FTP teams it absolutely makes sense to do it. That's the problem. It's not fun at all and adds nothing to the game. People just do it because they don't want to be left behind by the other players that do it.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #22
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
They could just remove the pack rewards from historical mode while leaving it for live teams. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

For FTP teams it absolutely makes sense to do it. That's the problem. It's not fun at all and adds nothing to the game. People just do it because they don't want to be left behind by the other players that do it.

Except some us will never play with live players offline it isn't fun in the least for me.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #23
chazzycat
All Star Starter

huh? I'm not talking about disabling historical play. Just the free packs from historical challenge mode. If you are playing that mode for enjoyment, and not farming the yankees, the packs would be very infrequent I would think.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #24
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
huh? I'm not talking about disabling historical play. Just the free packs from historical challenge mode. If you are playing that mode for enjoyment, and not farming the yankees, the packs would be very infrequent I would think.

Then you've disabled it for guys like me that only play historical and allow it for guys that like to play live....how does that make any sense?

If you want the packs to be infrequent just kill it. I don't see where it hurts anyone but "farming" is boring so I would argue just don't do it if you don't like it. I don't even try much on my main account and yet it doesn't bother me if someone else wants to. Like I said, it's nice for FTP players.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #25
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

don't think disabling historical challenge mode play for packs is a fair idea.... i started a CM historical play in 1871 and am just plowing through seasons to get packs... usually takes two or three seasons sometimes to get there, but that's not really that long a time to sim.... you can still play a long term historical CM play for packs so hopefully that's not taken away just because some want to replay 1927 every three days just to get their free pack
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #26
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
don't think disabling historical challenge mode play for packs is a fair idea.... i started a CM historical play in 1871 and am just plowing through seasons to get packs...
If you're playing CM just to get packs, then you're already going against the game devs stated intent behind this design decision. They were pretty clear they did not want that. They just wanted to provide a small reward for people who play challenge mode already for the fun of it.

Historical challenge mode is just ripe for exploitation in ways that non-historical CM are not. The fact that there are no playoffs is a huge boost - the '27 Yankees are guaranteed a world series berth every year, and hence, a very strong season score, and many achievements.

You can also disable all decision making, injuries, and everything in historical mode by selecting "use historical rosters and lineups". That removes any skill whatsoever and those options are NOT available in live MLB challenge mode. It's literally just choosing the Yankees and hitting "simulate" until you get your free packs, every 3 days. I can't believe there are people defending that as good game design. It's really bad.

If it was a small number of people, fine, I agree let's not hurt the honest users who do play historical challenge mode as intended. But I suspect just from reading these forums and discord, that it's a huge number of players currently taking advantage of the '27 Yankees loophole.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #27
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

F2p players like me love these packs. It is a reasonable reward for something quite tedious.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #28
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Yeah, I'm not saying it's ineffective...to the contrary. I did it last year in version 19 and it helped me out quite a bit. My problem is more with the tedious side.

I did it begrudgingly, only because I didn't want to lose my advantage. I didn't enjoy it that's for sure. I guess my competitive nature got the best of me...I just wanted to take any advantage I could get. Now, looking back, I mostly just regret wasting my time on it.

Another perspective...if you prefer to grind 10 minutes doing something you don't enjoy, than spend $1 on a pack, that means you only value your own time at $6/hour, less than minimum wage. Dunno about the rest of you but my time is worth way more than that to me.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #29
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not saying it's ineffective...to the contrary. I did it last year in version 19 and it helped me out quite a bit. My problem is more with the tedious side.

I did it begrudgingly, only because I didn't want to lose my advantage. I didn't enjoy it that's for sure. I guess my competitive nature got the best of me...I just wanted to take any advantage I could get. Now, looking back, I mostly just regret wasting my time on it.

Another perspective...if you prefer to grind 10 minutes doing something you don't enjoy, than spend $1 on a pack, that means you only value your own time at $6/hour, less than minimum wage. Dunno about the rest of you but my time is worth way more than that to me.
Chazzy,
Yea, I absolutely came to that conclusion myself. I've been largely ignoring PT 19 and only grind a pack here and there with my free to play teams on PT 20 since league rules I'm in forbid financial investment but for my main team grinding it out is getting way too old so I don't do it.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #30
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Chazzy,
Yea, I absolutely came to that conclusion myself. I've been largely ignoring PT 19 and only grind a pack here and there with my free to play teams on PT 20 since league rules I'm in forbid financial investment but for my main team grinding it out is getting way too old so I don't do it.
same here... only way my team gets a pack is from CM.... I'm not wasting my earned points on packs as the team is pre-ww2 and the astronomical chances that I'm going to pull a 1945 or earlier historical card are low enough (much less pulling one that would actually be an improvement to what I already have).... so all points get saved for AH purchases... with the CM pack, the vast majority end up being the iron quintet+token bronze, and just go straight to the reserves, but on the off chance I do get lucky, it's more likely I can't use the card anyway and end up selling it for funds to get someone I can put on the roster
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #31
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
same here... only way my team gets a pack is from CM.... I'm not wasting my earned points on packs as the team is pre-ww2 and the astronomical chances that I'm going to pull a 1945 or earlier historical card are low enough (much less pulling one that would actually be an improvement to what I already have).... so all points get saved for AH purchases... with the CM pack, the vast majority end up being the iron quintet+token bronze, and just go straight to the reserves, but on the off chance I do get lucky, it's more likely I can't use the card anyway and end up selling it for funds to get someone I can put on the roster

Got an 87 Boggs the other day and an 88 Valdez from challenge mode. Much needed tranafusions
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #32
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Like Stl Jason, I usually get the "1 bronze and 5 irons" in my challenge mode packs.

In fact, last night I got the ultimate in-your-face free pack: a 60 and 5 irons :/

But it's true that's the only my historical team is ever getting a pack - I'm not wasting 1000 PP on the miniscule chance I'll get a historical players. That said, I do agree it's tedious and feels like going against the spirit of the idea. But hey, it's a free pack!
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #33
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

I totally forgot this was possible, since I have yet to get a pack from achievements
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
Like Stl Jason, I usually get the "1 bronze and 5 irons" in my challenge mode packs.
This is what I like to call a "sh$%t pack" I once bought 5 packs and they were all like this.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #35
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Finally won a pack!

So the 2022 Atlanta Braves finally got an achievement that won me a free pack!

Note that I am not farming to get packs, I am just playing my favorite team, and if I get a pack, fine.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote