Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #1
Bahnzo
Minors (Single A)

A couple development ?'s

Defense: does a player getting better at a position generally happen over time in the minors? I realize there's more to it than that, but if I have a 3 rated(on a 10 scale) 2B, will he generally improve in the minors?

Pitching: Do pitchers ever learn new pitches? If so, any way to improve the odds of that happening?

Edit: one more. If I'm just a commish in a league, do I see the real ratings of a player?

Last edited by Bahnzo; 05-10-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Bahnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo View Post
Defense: does a player getting better at a position generally happen over time in the minors? I realize there's more to it than that, but if I have a 3 rated(on a 10 scale) 2B, will he generally improve in the minors?

Pitching: Do pitchers ever learn new pitches? If so, any way to improve the odds of that happening?

Edit: one more. If I'm just a commish in a league, do I see the real ratings of a player?
Defense: A player is "gifted" with certain basic defense ratings from the start. What improves his overall defensive rating at any one position is the amount of experience he has gained. Players do gain such experience in the minors and that is a good time for them to learn new positions given that they have good enough defense ratings to begin with. A peek into the player editor demonstrates this:
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Whether you are employed or not, commissioner or not, I believe the only way that you see the real ratings of players is to turn Scouting off or, if you still want Scouting, to dial Scouting Accuracy all the way up to 100%
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

About pitchers learning new pitches, there was a good thread on that topic about a year ago:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=264799

The consensus seems to be that it is a rare and random event. There is nothing that you can do to foster this happening other than, perhaps, favoring pitchers who are high in intelligence and work ethic.

A guy named Ron posted a screen shot in that thread of what it looks like when a pitcher gains a new pitch. Two of them in this case, a year apart! And yet, "His work ethic is a concern" so that may shoot down the "high intelligence and work ethic" theory. Post #21.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-10-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Bahnzo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Whether you are employed or not, commissioner or not, I believe the only way that you see the real ratings of players is to turn Scouting off or, if you still want Scouting, to dial Scouting Accuracy all the way up to 100%
Thanks for the answers. In regards to scouting, if I set it to 100%, this will affect the AI coaching teams/drafting, etc right? I'm basically just pruning FA's every year that are too poorly skilled to play even in the minors, but I'm realizing that if I don't see their exact skills, then I'm certainly getting rid of players I shouldn't.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo View Post
Thanks for the answers. In regards to scouting, if I set it to 100%, this will affect the AI coaching teams/drafting, etc right? I'm basically just pruning FA's every year that are too poorly skilled to play even in the minors, but I'm realizing that if I don't see their exact skills, then I'm certainly getting rid of players I shouldn't.
Hmmm. Yes, I think with Scouting off or set at 100% accuracy, the AI will know exactly who stinks and who does not. As will you.

Said another way, I would believe that if Scouting inaccuracy did not apply to the AI as well as human players, it would be impossible to play this game successfully. So it would follow, with Scouting off or set at 100% accuracy, it's fairly balanced to have the AI know the real ratings when you do.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-10-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Bahnzo
Minors (Single A)

Ok, I'm guessing what I could do to remedy this, is just set the scouting to 100% for just the time it takes to prune, and then return it. That should work w/o giving the AI too much I'd think.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, i don't think 1 scouting report will cause much of a ripple... the players that were randomly inaccurate before may be different afterward... it may give a glimpse of knowledge you shoudln't have under normal circumstances.

so, the biggest advantage will be for you, if you choose to look for it... even ignore the 1 100% accurate scouting report in their history (if you keep them).

it shouldn't do anything if you don't advance a day or use a league function that is relative. once you set it back to your prefered accuracy, hit re-run scouting, and all is good again... no AI decisions are made while you are not advancing/simming. (if you ask a trade, you are initiating that decision - that type of stuff being ignored)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote