Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Algus
Bat Boy

So, uh, how do I get players?

Pretty new to the game. Played a AA franchise in the demo before deciding to buy. Set up my first game after purchasing and went for a historic league (starting in 1871) where I'm managing a rookie league team.

I let the computer auto draft and it only gave me pitchers (???) so I edited player positions in order to actually field a team. My first game had INSANE offense as I put up 43 points (and still lost LOL). Immediately after the game, all my players were called up to Single A so now I only have a my pitching staff (which I already had to put on 3 man in order to fill positions).

I'm playing Manager only and kind of scratching my head as to how I'm supposed to keep a team fielded.
Algus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I think you picked a bad combination to learn the game on.
1) Historical leagues usually take a bunch of years to fill out the minors because only Major League stats are in a usable database.
Picking a historical means you will have to do some manual "labor" for 5-10? seasons to get a functional minor league system.
2) Choosing to run a bottom club seems cooler than it is. It seems like a fun way to learn the game while working your way to the top. The problem is the roster changes are never ending and create a seemingly unstable team.
I will make 2 recomendations.
1) Set up a simple 10-20 team fictional league with 3-4 levels of minors. Once you have it set up DO NOT SIM. Save it, you can save as a template, quickstart or manually save the league.lg folder in the OOTP saved games folder. Then when you are 3 seasons in and have kind of figures out the things you want you can just fire it up and start over.
2) Do a Standard MLB game. The only think I really find daunting is the number of minor league teams.

Good luck,
Tom (LP)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #3
Algus
Bat Boy

Thanks!

It seems like I neglected to auto generate player rosters. As I progressed I realized I needed to toggle commissioner mode so I could auto-fill rosters. Once I started poking around global options, I found the command to autofill globally.

Regardless, I took your advice to start a fictional league. Now customizing the teams with my own logos/uniforms is utterly consuming me and I'm letting real time simming occur while I explore the rest of the menus. So now I'm stuck in that rabbit hole LOL
Algus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

That is a good rabbit hole. I would go look in the mods forums for logos, hats and uniforms. If you have not seen it there is a fan made uniform and cap maker.