Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Helping your Manager as GM

Hi there,

Firstly, thanks to those who answer questions on this board... it's been a great way to start learning more about the sport generally, and this game in particular.

I have been playing the game as a GM, and have a couple of quite beginner-ish questions. Because I'm relatively new to the sport, I'm trusting that my manager would make better tactical decisions than me, so I'm trying to understand how best to help him, specifically in:

1) Fixing problems in Team
As an example, I'm playing a fantasy league, and have inherited a team which has strong pitching, with very few hits or walks, but isn't doing a good job of getting outs. When I look at the stats (I instant-result most games), it seems that my catcher is has a much lower ratio of opportunities to put-outs than most in that position in the league. My scout rates him quite highly, but is this potentially something I need to fix?

I'd welcome other things that you look for when trying to work out problems... I know you might suggest watching the games play out, but I'm keen to get through quite a few years so that I can try my hand at drafts / work on long-term dynasty building.

2) Trading
As above, if I feel I need to strengthen a particular position, is the best way to go about this via trading? Signing Free agents? Or do I just have to work on finding prospects and work them through the system. It may be particular to the setup I have described above, but I don't seem to be able to afford to trade away the player in question, as I don't have the funds.

I've tried following the 'real life' trades in the MLB this year, and also seen the offers that the AI puts forward when I shop a player, but I'm not at all familiar with what a typical trade looks like for a 'starting' player. Is it likely that I'll have to trade away players which play other positions to strengthen this one?

Sorry for the long post, any tips (long or short) are massively appreciated!
bennytoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

1) With regard to your specific situation, I would first check your team defensive efficiency and see where that ranks (presumably it would be low, given your description). Then, go look at your individual defensive stats (I go to the lineups screen and use the preset view). What you're looking for (well, what I look for) is what guys have individual defensive efficiency below 1.000. Those are likely the guys hurting you defensively.

2) The answer is....it depends. Odds are, if you don't want a guy, the other teams aren't likely to want him either (but some might), so trading your specific player might be tough. Generally, you'd want to trade a player at a deep position so it doesn't hurt you much. Long-term, developing prospects is best (for the team and your pocketbook). Short-term, if you're trying for that one last piece to win a title, trading prospects for a star might be better.

Main thing, don't be afraid to make mistakes. In my Rangers game (first season still), I made the mistake of trading Leonys Martin for Royals CF Lorenzo Cain. It's...not turning out so well. But, you make a mistake, you learn from it, and long term let the AI beware!
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Thanks, that's a really nice way of looking at it.

I'm sure there are a ton of other threads on stats vs. ratings, but I am still trying to learn when to consider something a temporary dip, and when my scout has simply got it wrong in the first place... I love that they're not 100% accurate, but as n inexperienced player, I'm naturally inclined to trust them over myself!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I think that's really something that just comes with playing a lot. Eventually you'll get a feel for when the stats and ratings just don't add up, and when to trust the statistical track record in the face of bad ratings or vice versa.

I've often pondered trying to do a basic regression so I can build a stat estimator, but I've never gotten around to it since I'd rather be playing OOTP than trying to mine its secrets. :P
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

I like to use the waiver wire when I'm looking for help at a position - it's surprising what kind of players the AI will waive sometimes. In one case I grabbed a guy who looked like a two-star type at first but developed into a many-year starter for my team. Also don't neglect the Rule 5 draft - sometimes there will be some guys in there who have been stranded in AAA but are ready to make the next step. I tend to be a scrounger who will pick up guys wherever I find them so these are options I like,

As far as trading what I like to do is look at my team (and minor leagues) and see where I have depth and can give someone up - maybe a veteran in his last year of contract, or an older prospect, or whatever. Then I use the Reports screen view Strength by Position (or whatever its called) and see who is weak in an area and might need what I have. Then talk to them and try to put a deal together.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Thanks, I think this is more the route I need to pursue, as being the start of a fantasy league, a lot of players are on longer contracts.

My issue is of course that there is no stat history to go on, so I am a little more limited to trusting my scouts than I might be... again, I guess as the season progresses, the data will be a little more fully-developed and I can start trying to make some more stats-based calls than believing ratings.

Another time I might try simming a few years before I choose a team and get started.

The business side of this game is fantastic - and I do love how the scouts can be wrong... the thrill that you might give someone a chance for them to blossom into a star is a great draw!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Thanks, I think this is more the route I need to pursue, as being the start of a fantasy league, a lot of players are on longer contracts.

My issue is of course that there is no stat history to go on, so I am a little more limited to trusting my scouts than I might be... again, I guess as the season progresses, the data will be a little more fully-developed and I can start trying to make some more stats-based calls than believing ratings.

Another time I might try simming a few years before I choose a team and get started.

The business side of this game is fantastic - and I do love how the scouts can be wrong... the thrill that you might give someone a chance for them to blossom into a star is a great draw!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennytoup View Post
Personally, I'd scrap the league and start over by simming a 10 year history. That way you won't have to play out 3 or 5 years in-game before you feel like you're not being cheated because you don't have a stat history backing up the ratings you scouts are giving you.

That may be the worst sentence I've ever written...
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Personally, I'd scrap the league and start over by simming a 10 year history. That way you won't have to play out 3 or 5 years in-game before you feel like you're not being cheated because you don't have a stat history backing up the ratings you scouts are giving you.

That's the conclusion I am coming to - plus it gives time for the teams to develop their own histories as well, and more drafts etc to bring a range of player generations in.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
IsaacR
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post

Simming a 10yr history is nice, but I don't find it necessary. It's not any more of a disadvantage than the one I build into the game for myself.
IsaacR is offline   Reply With Quote