Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #21
Reed
All Star Starter

Oregon,Georgia, LSU, Minnesota. Although I would like to see Oklahoma or maybe an unbeaten Baylor in that scenario over Minnesota.

Loved Kentucky getting upset last night.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #22
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Oregon,Georgia, LSU, Minnesota. Although I would like to see Oklahoma or maybe an unbeaten Baylor in that scenario over Minnesota.

You mean the unbeaten Gophers?
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
You mean the unbeaten Gophers?
You didn't read the whole thread.

I'm praying this scenario plays out. I always root for the most confusion possible because I hate this "system". And I think this scenario not only does that, but is actually possible. I don't think anything I proposed is unrealistic. As Foghorn Leghorn said, "this is gonna cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show".
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Ah the scenarios start. What sucks is, for the rest of the season, broadcasts will no longer be broadcasts of the game, instead they will become sports talk radio with a game going on in the background. Any game on the Disney Network of channels will become unwatchable with the sound on. Fox won't be as bad, unless you tune into a game in which ole drunkie Tim Brando is doing the game. Just another reason I'm thankful for OOTP.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-13-2019 at 10:29 AM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post

Buddy, any team that loses to South Carolina doesn't even belong in a bowl game much less the national championship playoffs.

GEORGIA??????????????????????????
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #26
Reed
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cherry View Post
Buddy, any team that loses to South Carolina doesn't even belong in a bowl game much less the national championship playoffs.

GEORGIA??????????????????????????
Are you a Bammer??
Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #27
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm praying this scenario plays out. I always root for the most confusion possible because I hate this "system". And I think this scenario not only does that, but is actually possible. I don't think anything I proposed is unrealistic. As Foghorn Leghorn said, "this is gonna cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show".
Understood - and agree that I would love to see that scenario unfold (and would love to see O$U and 'bama get screwed!). But what system do you wish was in place?

Would you agree with the following?

a) Current system - not good, but better than...
b) Previous two-team system, which was much better than...
c) The old, long-time system: simply voting on the National Champ after the bowl games...

I'd like to see an 8-teamer: The winner of each of the Power Five conferences gets in, and three wild cards chosen by a committee. There'd still be controversy over the final 3 picks, but that sort of controversy and discussion - just like all the lead-up and roll-out of the March Madness selections - is good for the promo of the game.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
Reed
All Star Starter

Personally, I think there are way to many bowl games. I guess it is a reward for going 6-6 although some of the top NFL prospects want to skip a meaningless bowl game.

Yes, I would like to see something like what thehef is suggesting implemented. Not sure about the power 5 conference winners automatically getting selected but would net be opposed to it.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #29
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Understood - and agree that I would love to see that scenario unfold (and would love to see O$U and 'bama get screwed!). But what system do you wish was in place?

c) The old, long-time system: simply voting on the National Champ after the bowl games...
If I had to choose of those 3, I'd pick c.

My problem with NCAA football is that it chooses every way to call someone a "champion" besides the method every other sport chooses, a true playoff. The problem w/all of these systems is that it chooses the champion the same way they choose a skating or gymnastic gold medalist. It is a beauty contest, it doesn't decide it on the field. Whether it is chosen through a poll of the media & coaches, a computer formula, or a committee. Whatever the entity chooses to like, that is who they favor. So the reality is they have never changed the problem, just the way they fail at solving the problem.

The old system at least made the major bowls significant. If my above scenario were to happen, there are going to be 4 teams disappointed and feeling like they got robbed. In the original system, everyone would be happy and it would make each major bowl significant. The SEC champ would be happy with the Sugar Bowl because that would be the best they could get. The Pac12 & Big T1e4n would celebrate going to Pasadena because that would be the best they could get. Now the only bowl games any pay attention to is Final 4.

Quote:
I'd like to see an 8-teamer: The winner of each of the Power Five conferences gets in, and three wild cards chosen by a committee. There'd still be controversy over the final 3 picks, but that sort of controversy and discussion - just like all the lead-up and roll-out of the March Madness selections - is good for the promo of the game.
To me, any system where the participants aren't allowed to "participate" is a flawed system. When the season starts 95% of the teams have no shot at winning the title. No other team sport has less than 100% who can potentially win the title once the season begins.

So the only way to assure that every team has a shot is to allow every conference champion to be in a playoff, or make a rule that any unbeaten automatically qualifies for a playoff. Now you put each team's destiny in its own hands. I would have a 12 team playoff w/the top 4 seeds getting byes, or 16 teams. That would leave 2-6 at large teams. Those can be decided by a committee, formula, poll whatever and seeding as well.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #30
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post

If I had to pick it would be C. However, I don't see why it has to be one of the three options. The lower football divisions have figured out how to have a playoff and have been doing it successfully for years now. They could figure a way to tie all of the bowls into a full playoff system if they wanted to for the people that have that emotional connection to them. Although, I feel like they have already destroyed what the bowls originally stood for in the first place. I would be for abandoning them and have teams host their own playoff games. It would be much more exciting to see a national semifinal at a teams school rather than at the Jerry Jones palace.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #31
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I still wish the smaller schools like those of the MAC, Boise State, Houston, SMU, Central Florida would form their own union and crown their own champion using a playoff system.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #32
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

This is how an organization should operate. If you see one of yours do something wrong, you shouldn't need a higher authority to step in an deliver the punishment. You should do lay it down yourself.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Will tuas injury proneness hurt his draft stock?
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #34
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Will tuas injury proneness hurt his draft stock?
All of these QB's are nitpicked to the point that none of them have any kind of flaw that isn't marked with a neon highlighter.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #35
Reed
All Star Starter

When you are going to use a high draft pick and spend millions of dollars and if they fizzle out it will cost millions more in revenue so yes they will consider injury proneness for anyone they draft. I think most trades are dependent on the players undergoing a physical. I am sure a team will use a high draft pick on Tua but they will be extremely nervous for a couple years.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #36
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'm hearing it might not just be a season ender. Tua might have had a career ender. Like Bo Jackson had.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #37
Reed
All Star Starter

I hate seeing anyone getting injured, especially a serious injury. Hopefully it is not serious, but I am also hearing it is like Bo Jackson’s and that he may have surgery tonight.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #38
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

This is awful for the young man and I hope he can recover. I'm not going to put Saban on blast for playing him with a huge lead because injuries could happen at anytime. It is common practice to play your starters to the half.

The question of whether he should have been playing at all is another debate most likely. However, does this not highlight how much the NCAA has changed. With the transfer rule as it stands (which I am a supporter of) these schools may not have the depth they once had. Bama is playing for a title and maybe a balky Tua is just better than the 2nd string qb. In years past that may not have been the case. Just an observation of mine.

Oh did anyone pick up on an attitude of non-concern about Tua in general from Saban's halftime comments? It could have been just my perception combined with the fact that full knowledge of the injury was not yet known and that I'm pretty sure coaches hate that halftime interview. It just seemed like his attitude was that players aren't people and are just consumable commodities.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #39
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
This is awful for the young man and I hope he can recover. I'm not going to put Saban on blast for playing him with a huge lead because injuries could happen at anytime. It is common practice to play your starters to the half.

The question of whether he should have been playing at all is another debate most likely. However, does this not highlight how much the NCAA has changed. With the transfer rule as it stands (which I am a supporter of) these schools may not have the depth they once had. Bama is playing for a title and maybe a balky Tua is just better than the 2nd string qb. In years past that may not have been the case. Just an observation of mine.

Oh did anyone pick up on an attitude of non-concern about Tua in general from Saban's halftime comments? It could have been just my perception combined with the fact that full knowledge of the injury was not yet known and that I'm pretty sure coaches hate that halftime interview. It just seemed like his attitude was that players aren't people and are just consumable commodities.
Didn't see the game, so I can't comment on what Saban said at halftime. I will say the clips from him postgame sounded like he was trying to deflect blame from himself. In a similar way the Warriors did when Durant went down in the finals. I don't think Saban should have been playing Tua period because he was questionable before the game started. If Bama can't beat Miss Stake w/their 2nd string QB, then they have been overrated all along. They should have taken the advantage and gave some backups more playing time to add depth & give them experience for next year. It is another case of a coach not being able to see past the next game. The ramifications are you are going to see more draft ready players cutting their seasons short. And no one in the country has more draft ready players on their roster than Bama.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #40
Reed
All Star Starter

I think coaches keep their starters in until halftime even during blowouts. Tua was cleared by medical to play the game and that injury could happen to anyone. There are upsets almost every weekend so you should not go into a game thinking it is an automatic win.
Think of the negativity if a team does not start a star player because the coach assumed a win and the team lost and it cost them a chance at the playoffs.
I guess you could say that Tua is just fragile and should not have been playing college football. Football is a violent sport and maybe it should be banned. I do not know what the answer is.