Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Sculpting Player Creation in Fictional Leagues

In my current fictional league, I find that I have a disproportionate number of power-hitting middle infielders who can't run (but can field their positions) and corner infielders who are fast (3B have dominated SB categories in league history).

I don't see a way to modify things by position in the player creation screen. Do I have options that don't involve manually tweaking players?
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Additionally, I'd like some method of widening the statistical delta between the best and worst performers. Right now, there's lots of bunching. For one example, I'd like to have a real possibility of a few 50-homer players each year without having every team hit 200+. As another, I'd like a few high-average challengers without it looking like the roaring 20s and .400 hitters not winning batting titles. Thoughts?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the distribution in sports is prymidal in nature. so it will be bunched up baseically everywhere except the top, which will have a few better results.

the guys in the middle and slightly above average look like anything from bums to all-stars -- year to year results. even 'better' players dip quite low compared to the elite players.

as far as player creation, you can change PCMs, but i don't think you can do it per fielding position. so, it'd be a rising or lowring tide effect on all.

based on what your 'want' is, i'd suggest increasing the LTM (modifiers, not totals). a wider range of results will come with a higher ceiling.

e.g. just moving BA from ~.255 to ~.260 (long-term average), can make a .400 hitter possible.. maybe not common, but you know it'll happen in 20-50 years instead of 1000+. (bit of a guess, but it really is somewhere around that BA (.260+) that a .400 BA becomes a likely outcome, even if still a bit rare.

is it possible to have a .400 hitter in a league (similar to modern mlb LTs) with a lower BA? sure.. but not everyone will see it even if you play 100 years, because at some point it becomes a mathematic certainty either way.

if you go this route and increase league stat(s) baselines through the LTMs, don't worry so much about 'league average' anymore.. focus on individual results you see at the top, bottom, middle, whatever. do you want ~80power guys hitting 50hr often? raise the hr ltm until you see what you like. rinse and repeat, and it will likely take some backtracking as you change somethings that affect other things.. e.g. reduce HR and you increase BABIP, because at least a portion of those 'lost' hr will be balls in play now and they don't all convert to outs.. proportionally spread based on current LT/LTMs etc.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-08-2018 at 01:33 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #4
Juggernt
Major Leagues

What happens if you raise BABIP and lower hits (or vice versa)?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

by modifier or you mean the totals?

i'd assume league totals that don't add up well likely cause odd statistucal results or weird unexplained hiccups like a drastic shift outside an expected range? no idea really... likely just makes the math messier and comes down to how it handles that. the 'base' no longer adds up to "1" in all aspects.

just the math... what would have to occur for that babip to be reached etc...

it'd probably bump walks a bit? that would reduce AB and allow fewer hits to reach the elevated babip. so, i'd guess that the bb-LTM would represent something new too. as you change one things everythign else has to shift to add up to "1".
Old 11-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
Juggernt
Major Leagues

There's only one column for BABIP, under the totals. I hadn't thought about the walks idea. Good call that I'll give a whirl to.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's about 1200 Sac flies that need to be accounted for too.

won't make a huge difference in math at 165k ab, but still should figure "~1250" is average if similar to previous releases.

https://captaincalculator.com/sports...ay-calculator/

just make a spreadsheet with the formulas then change bb's or hr's until BABIP equates to what you want (slash, babip). no calculator needed. if you make a set of LT this way, they all jive together.

Last edited by NoOne; 11-12-2018 at 03:48 PM.