Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > FHM 3 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 3 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM dynasties here!

Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Saving the Sabres...

The curse of Buffalo is very real to many folks who live there or religiously follow Buffalo Sports teams.

The Bills lost 4 consecutive Super Bowls....Brett Hull is still universally despised in Western NY and rightfully so....the goal was an illegal goal. Many found it supremely ironic that after longtime head coach Lindy Ruff was sacked...he then took a job in Dallas...is was...sacrilege.

But none of that could prepare the hockey world and the world in general for the events that would occur in 2015.

Mere minutes after GM Tim Murray stoically chose wunderkind Jack Eichel in the NHL draft...Murray was found dead in a nearby restroom, the victim of a "widowmaker" heart attack. With very heavy hearts...the draft somberly continued (after a 24 hour delay) and the Buffalo organization was left reeling.

Everyone knows the rest of the story. Not even 72 hours later...Sabres owner Terry Pegula and his wife Kim were tragically killed when their private jet suffered catastrophic failure and crashed. Ironically, the plane was also carrying Tim Murray's body back to Buffalo. Not to be forgotten, the team lost other important executives and personnel in that crash.

The league, the remaining staff members and the city of Buffalo were panicking. Those were terrible days.

You should remember me.

I won the powerball lottery 10 years previous....almost 400 million dollars (after taxes)....it was, and still is the largest payout ever. I was only 21 and I was all over the news for a while. I didn't party. (well I did a little), but I wasn't stupid. I invested. I bought, I sold and now at the age of 31....my net worth is very close to 3 billion dollars. And I live just east of Buffalo. The Sabres are my team. I rejoiced every win and suffered every loss. I was sad when Tyler Myers was traded and I still miss Ryan Miller.

So I started thinking.

I contacted the league and the league contacted the team. In some ways, I was very fortunate. The NHL needed to act fast and Buffalo fans were convinced the team was gone. There were nearly riots when some sports broadcasters suggested the team be moved or perhaps even just fold.

Without the details (they were mostly very tedious and boring)....I bought my beloved franchise.

But the celebrations were muted for the most part. Buffalo fans were overjoyed when the sale was announced because they knew the team was there to stay. But I sent the whole city and the league, for that matter, into a panic when I announced in my first press conference that I would also be the Head Coach/GM for the team. I had no experience. I was just the kid who'd won that powerball.

I didn't care. And I still don't. It's my team.

There were rumors the whole staff would walk and I guess I wouldn't have blamed them. The organizational meeting with everyone associated with the team ended up being a party. That's what I wanted. I wanted people to laugh and smile again. It had been a horrible few months. They feasted and they drank. Everyone drank a lot. After all, I was buying.

Not one person left the organization. It didn't hurt that I promised all staff members an immediate 10% raise.

But imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from Terry Pegula's lawyer in the middle of the celebration. Apparently the Pegula's had left a stipulation in their wills, that if they were to both die unexpectedly, the majority of their fortune would be left to help both the Bills and the Sabres.

It was like I'd won the lottery...again.

My name is Max Rasmuth and I am the owner, GM and Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

My whole life is a dream come true. But owning the Sabres?.....that is the epitome of it all. Who says money can't buy happiness.

Last edited by Rasmuth; 10-25-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

After the horrible tank season of 2014/2015 during the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes....there were a whole lot of changes to the team.

Tim Murray had done a real nice job.

I decided to leave things be and let the vast amounts of young talent develop. 2015/2016 won't be a year to make a run for the cup, but everyone agrees it will be better.

So we got through the pre-season healthy enough and just like that...hockey was back.

I still get goosebumps thinking about the 1st regular season home game of the season....and nearly 20,000 fans chanting "Lets go Buffalo"....hell I was standing on the bench yelling as loud as I could too. The players were all staring at me, but they were smiling.

In late October I made the one significant move of the season I would make. I was never a fan of Johan Larsson so I made some calls.

Here is what developed and I was thrilled.

To Dallas:
F-Johan Larsson (age 23)
2016 3rd round pick
2017 7th round pick

To Buffalo:
F-Valeri Nischushkin (age 20)

I knew Nischushkin was coming off a lost season due to injury and heard
whispers he might be in Lindy Ruff's doghouse...I took a shot and we made it work.

Last edited by Rasmuth; 10-25-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

I won't be doing game by game recaps...it will mostly be end of season reviews and info. So there will be periods of time with little updates...
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

The 2015/16 season has come to a close and despite some growing pains, the Sabres served notice that this team is on the rise. After the tank debacle the season previous, the Sabres finished 4th in the Atlantic Division with a fine 43-32-7 record, 93 points. And despite just missing the playoffs, fans and experts alike predict a bright future for this franchise.

While many are quick to attribute the seasons improvement to the genius of the late Tim Murray, many of my players sincerely complimented my performance whenever possible publicly. I must admit, I've surrounded myself with a fine staff who really are the nuts and bolts when it comes to running this team, but I do feel a sense of pride, knowing my hockey instincts actually seem to be working for this club.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Here are the final standings for the Eastern Conference 2015/16:

Last edited by Rasmuth; 10-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

And the final standings for the Western Conference 2015/16:

Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

And league leaders for the 2015/16 season:

Steven Stamkos rocked the league for 57 goals and nearly hit the 100 point mark.

And Buffalo's Josh Gorges led the league in blocked shots.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

And here are the NHL goalie leaders for 2015/16:

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Tyler Ennis had another fine season for the Sabres hockey club, leading the team with 59 points including a career high 41 assists.

Valeri Nichushkin and Matt Moulson led the team with 25 goals each and Zemgus Girgensons, Jack Eichel and Evander Kane also each scored 20 or more goals.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Robin Lehner and Chad Johnson each had significant hot and cold spells throughout the season, in the end, Lehner was stronger, but Johnson contributed much more than preseason prognosticators thought.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Well...my first season as coach of the Buffalo Sabres is now behind me and this great city. With the Stanley Cup Playoffs looming ahead, this team's season is over. Yet there is optimism everywhere...the fans, the players...the coaches, the staff...it's really infectious and the Buffalo/Rochester media has been extremely kind, giving me the credit. Listen...I am super-enthusiastic about my Sabres...even in the worst of times and that doesn't change because I now own and run the organization.

It caused quite a stir early in the season...my abundant enthusiasm. When I'm behind the bench during a game...sometimes I forget that I'm wearing a suit and that I'm also the coach. I have the best seat in the house now and my excitement sometimes overwhelms me.

There is the now famous cover of Sports Illustrated from November, 2015...I have a copy of it framed in my office...the team gave it to me the day the issue hit the stands. I'm standing on the bench...well I was...but I was jumping for joy at the moment Sam Reinhart had just scored a game-winning goal (the passing from Eichel to O'Reilly to Reinhart was creative and astounding in it's sheer beauty) with less than 10 seconds left in the 3rd period. The photo caught me at the apex of my leap for joy....my glasses crooked on my face from the extreme motion...my hands reaching as high into the air as I could possibly muster. It was such a great moment....and it was forever captured and distributed worldwide. The team gave another photo to Sam and it shows him being smothered by his teammates on the ice...the sheer joy on the boys face is literally heartwarming. It currently hangs in his locker. I told him to take it home...he said he will....when he's retired. So for now it's in his locker. He touches the glass protecting the photo just before every game...it's now a pregame ritual for him. Sometimes I catch him smiling while looking at the photo...and I can't help but smile too.

I knew the team would improve this season...but 93 points even surprised me. I figured a .500 type season would more realistic...my private goal was 82 points.

I was real happy with Tyler Ennis....he really flourished with his teammates and his unselfish play was evident to everyone. I think most thought he'd score some more goals, but his 41 assists surprised most. He's intelligent and he understood that there are now a fair amount of players who can score...and he helped them do so. I'm fairly sure he's going to get an "A" on his sweater next season.

I thought Ryan O'Reilly would score more and I could tell he was frustrated a bit. His 37 assists were nice, but I'd like to see 25-30 goals from him...we'll see how things go next season.

Jack Eichel had ups and downs, but he's a real solid player already and just a kid...I chuckle sometimes watching how older players look up to him, but he's that kind of guy. I can't wait to see how he develops.

The big surprise for me this season was Rasmus Ristolainen. This kid is a beast and he's so damn solid already. 17 goals and 45 points...his instincts offensively is off the charts for a d-man and he is extremely solid playing defense. I love watching him on the ice. He effortlessly commands attention...a real tribute to this kid.

As far as goalies are concerned....Lehner played well but I'm keeping my eyes open. I feel, perhaps, there's an opportunity to upgrade, but we'll see. I'm not going to re-sign Chad Johnson...and it's not because he can't play, he really did a decent job for us, but I have a feeling Linus Ullmark may very well be the future in goal for this hockey club and I'm seriously considering promoting him from Rochester to the Sabres for 2016/17 to backup Lehner. I think he's ready. We'll see.

The Stanley Cup playoffs start tonight and I'll be watching. The draft is coming up too...so I have a lot to do.

I can't wait for next season!

Last edited by Rasmuth; 10-27-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Pittsburgh wins another cup....defeating the St. Louis Blues in 6 games!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Here are the NHL Awards for 2015/16:

Top Goalscorer Award: 57-Steven Stamkos (Lightning) - (57g-40a-97p)
NHL Scoring Leader: 97-Steven Stamkos (Lightning) - (57g-40a-97p)
NHL +/- Leader: +38 - Patrick Kane (Blackhawks) - (26g-45a-71p)
NHL Defenceman of the Year: Niklas Kronwall (Red Wings) - (14g-41a-55p) and a +32 plus/minus.
NHL Best Defensive Forward: Jonathan Toews (Blackhawks) - (28g-62a-90p) and +31 plus/minus.
NHL Goalie of the Year: Jonathan Quick (Kings) - (39W-16L, .918 sv pct., 2.22 g/a average and 10 shutouts.)
Save % Award: .Al Montoya (Panthers & Hurricanes) - .925

NHL MVP: Alex Ovechkin (Capitals) - (37g-42a-79p)
NHL Playoffs MVP: Kris Letang (Penguins) - (24 games - 1g-15a-16p) and a +4 plus/minus
NHL Rookie of the Year: Connor McDavid (Oilers) - (82 games - 25g-46a-71p)
NHL GM of the Year: Ron Francis (Hurricanes) - (52-24-6, 110pts)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

I had 8 picks in the 2016 NHL draft. I think we had a decent draft but I expect all the players to return to juniors or college for the upcoming season.

Rd 1. Pick 14 - Alexander Nylander (18) RW - 3.5b/4.5b
Rd 2. Pick 44 - Olli Juolevi (18) LD - 3b/4b
Rd 3. Pick 89 - Janne Kuokkanen (18) C - 3b/4b
Rd 5. Pick 131 - Loik Leveille (20) RD - 3.5b/4b
Rd 5. Pick 134 - Kamil Hubinsky (19) LW - 3a/3.5a
Rd 6. Pick 164 - Jacob Moverare (18) LD - 3b/4b
Rd 7. Pick 191 - Cliff Pu (18) C - 3.5b/4b
Rd 7. Pick 194 - Alexis Pepin (20) LW - 3b/3b

I have high hopes for Nylander, secretly I'm hoping he might fight for a spot next year after one more year of seasoning in Juniors. He's an offensive forward who scored 31g-47a-78pts for Mississauga in the OHL last year.

I believe most of these player have a chance at some point to see time with the Sabres and for sure, perhaps mainstays with the Amerks in Rochester.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #15
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

The Buffalo Sabres core roster should be very similar for the 2016/17 season. My goal for player signings was to add reasonable depth in case of injuries, but more to strengthen the Rochester Americans. I feel the moves I made should fulfill both needs. I decided not to target any big-time available Free Agents, the most obvious being Anzi Kopitar.

7/1/2016 - signed free agent LD Luke Schenn (26) to a 3yr/2.2 mil a year deal. (I felt the big club could use one additional defenseman who would step right into the starting lineup.)
7/2/2016 - Traded disgrunted F Cody McCormick (33) to San Jose for 21 year old defenseman Michael Brodzinski. (San Jose contacted me about this trade and I didn't hesitate, McCormick is the wrong side of 30 and was wallowing away in Rochester. Brodzinski is a 3.5a potential rated prospect who will play in Rochester.)
7/3/2016 - signed free agent LW Scott Wilson (24) to a 2yr/550k per year deal.
7/7/2016 - signed free agent RW Beau Bennett (24) to a 2yr/606k per year contract.
7/13/2016 - signed free agent RW Zack Phillips (24) to a 2yr/656k per year deal.
7/14/2016 - signed free agent RD Petr Zamorsky (24) to a 2yr/837k per year contract.
7/20/2016 - signed free agent G Tom McCollum (26) to a 2yr/550k per year deal.
8/3/2016 - signed free agent RW Zack Boychuk (27) to a 2yr/550k per year contract.

None of the players are big hitters but all are capable NHL level players and will provide my organization the depth I'm hoping for.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

On October 17th, 2016, I received a trade offer from the Tampa Bay Lightning and I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

To Tampa Bay: Brian Gionta (37) F

To Buffalo: Matthieu Joseph (19) F

It was sad to say goodbye to Gionta, and even though he appeared in 79 games last season, his production continues to slip as age is taking it's toll. Most of the 2015/16 season he played on the Sabres 4th line.

Joseph is a 3a/3.5a rated prospect and will spend this season back in Juniors.

*Gionta's departure opened an assistant captain spot on the roster and I was proud to pin the "A" on Tyler Ennis. He's become a leader on this club and his unselfish play sets the proper example for everyone.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

In the first few weeks of the season, it became immediately clear that the organization needs some more depth in goal. Lehner got off to a slow start and I checked the waiver wire and available free agents.

10/20/2106 - signed free agent Ben Scrivens (30) G to a 2 year deal worth 755k per year.

Tom McCollum was sent to Rochester to backup Linus Ullmark.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #18
fireonk
Bat Boy

Thumbs up

Enjoying this dynasty, keep it up.
fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

The 2016/17 NHL season is completed. Results to be posted later.

In the meantime here are a few minor updates:

February 1, 2017 -

RD - Mark Pysyk - signed a 3 year contract extension worth $1.34 million per year.
G - Linus Ullmark - signed a 3 year contract extension worth $1.1 million per year.
LD - Jake McCabe - signed a 3 year contract extension worth $975k per year.

Also....the NHL announced that Linus Ullmark is the goaltender of the month for January, 2017!!!

Ullmark went 7-2 with a save percentage of .938 and a sterling 1.44 gaa for January!

Last edited by Rasmuth; 10-31-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

btw.....I'm mostly focusing on the Sabres in this replay...if anyone has any inquiries regarding other teams, players...whatever....please ask! I will answer and provide information as soon as I can.