Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Rockies-Devils move... $ gone...

Howdy,

Playing the Rockies/Devils franchise. I am starting in '81 to build the franchise and saved about $4 mil to sign my draft picks for the following year. After the playoffs it said I had almost $9 mil... yay! And then a few weeks later I noticed the move to NJ happened and all of a sudden I had negative $5mil. Now I'll have to gut the team. What happened? I can't recall the owner's name so I'm not sure if I have a new owner. In any event, I'd like to be able to plan for this in the future.

As an aside, I really enjoy this game but it clearly still requires some work. I'm looking forward to owning future versions of this game and supporting you guys until this sim is perfected.

One last question: is there a way to take over an expansion franchise? I seem to be missing how to do that.

Thanks,
Aaron
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWHistory View Post
Howdy,

Playing the Rockies/Devils franchise. I am starting in '81 to build the franchise and saved about $4 mil to sign my draft picks for the following year. After the playoffs it said I had almost $9 mil... yay! And then a few weeks later I noticed the move to NJ happened and all of a sudden I had negative $5mil. Now I'll have to gut the team. What happened? I can't recall the owner's name so I'm not sure if I have a new owner. In any event, I'd like to be able to plan for this in the future.

As an aside, I really enjoy this game but it clearly still requires some work. I'm looking forward to owning future versions of this game and supporting you guys until this sim is perfected.

One last question: is there a way to take over an expansion franchise? I seem to be missing how to do that.

Thanks,
Aaron
start 1 year earlier unemployed (f.e. in 1966 to take over the 1967 Kings), sim the whole season until July 1st then take over the expansion team - July 2nd expansion draft

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Christy's tolls are really expensive! Didn't plan for that, huh!
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
start 1 year earlier unemployed (f.e. in 1966 to take over the 1967 Kings), sim the whole season until July 1st then take over the expansion team - July 2nd expansion draft

A-ha! Thank you very much! Now I can take over the Scouts/Rockies/Devils and fully enjoy my years of misery and failure... I thought the developers had deprived me of indulging in my masochism!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
Christy's tolls are really expensive! Didn't plan for that, huh!
LMAO! I did actually. Apparently they charge my franchise a $14,000,000 toll to move to the state. Daaaaaammmmnnnn!!! I love Jersey but they gotta lower the toll rate. Anything above $5million is just too much... I mean who carries $14mil on them?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
The budget should actually be going up slightly after that move (and I just tested it a couple of times and it did), so it's more likely that the payroll, the other half of the available money equation, increased by a large amount in the new season. If you extended the contracts of a bunch of players, that's what did it. The "Available money" lines on the finances screen always refer to the current season; it's the Salary Obligations screen that you need to check to see how much money is committed next year. We should probably add another line or two on the financial summary to estimate what next year's payroll and available money will be, so the changeover on July 1 doesn't come as a surprise.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The budget should actually be going up slightly after that move (and I just tested it a couple of times and it did), so it's more likely that the payroll, the other half of the available money equation, increased by a large amount in the new season. If you extended the contracts of a bunch of players, that's what did it. The "Available money" lines on the finances screen always refer to the current season; it's the Salary Obligations screen that you need to check to see how much money is committed next year. We should probably add another line or two on the financial summary to estimate what next year's payroll and available money will be, so the changeover on July 1 doesn't come as a surprise.
Hmmm, this is odd. I had signed some FAgents in '81-82. That's what used most of my available money that year. I think I started with around $14 mil and kept about $3.9 mil unused. I wasn't sure if money carried over but in a previous game I had taken on too much in the way of salary and couldn't sign players so I was trying a different approach.

You're right that at the end of the season my available money when up from about $4mil to around $9mil. Then it disappeared! Currently it says I have just under $49mil in player salaries on the salary obligation page. On the finances page it says I have a $66 million budget with a $61.5 player payroll. Why the discrepancy? I think this is important because its says that I have negative $5mil to sign FAs when this seems like I should have positive $4.5 mil, right? It also says I have approx $9mil in contract offers out but I don't have any that I can tell.

Question: when you sign a player to a new contract is all the money for the entirety of the contract paid up front? I think the program might be doing this in some cases.

If you'd like I can send my save game file. Perhaps I just don't understand the mechanism. It wouldn't be as big a deal but the Rockies/Devils have a sad little budget....

EDIT: I had extended Rob Ramage by 3 years, but that was after I noticed my financial predicament. I was trying to see if extending his contract my alter the current budget like manipulating a salary cap. It didn't, which makes sense since I'm not working with a league cap but a self imposed spending limit.

I just cannot figure out where this "offered contract" money is coming from. I had a couple contracts with a $0 offer and I cancelled those just to be sure. Now I'm totally befuddled.

Last edited by AEWHistory; 04-04-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
A-ha! Thank you very much! Now I can take over the Scouts/Rockies/Devils and fully enjoy my years of misery and failure... I thought the developers had deprived me of indulging in my masochism!
don´t be too happy - yet.....Draft is buggy and not working atm - still waiting for the hotfix where this should be solved

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
don´t be too happy - yet.....Draft is buggy and not working atm - still waiting for the hotfix where this should be solved

So far I've played a few one-off history mode games and made it to season two. I've been able to do the drafts but I have encountered some problems such as the issue I've mentioned above. I've read in other threads that the draft doesn't work well when you go back in time. Does anyone know the cutoff? To be frank, I don't have much interest in playing before the Scouts come into the league; the earliest I think I'd ever play is the big expansion when the Flyers and others came in (I think '66/68 or thereabouts? Damn, I should know that). As much of a hockey fan I've always been I guess I just never really had much desire to sim the original six.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Duranium
All Star Starter

hehe....same here with Pens starting in 67-68

As i like the Devils too i also tried to start them as KC Scouts but w/o the draft working there´s an esential üart missing until the hotfix comes

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #11
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
hehe....same here with Pens starting in 67-68

As i like the Devils too i also tried to start them as KC Scouts but w/o the draft working there´s an esential üart missing until the hotfix comes
Yea, and playing the Scouts/Rockies/Devils from the beginning without the hope of building thru the draft is like playing Russian Roulette with six full chambers. You just know every time you pull the trigger it won't end well.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
Duranium
All Star Starter

playing the Scouts/Rockies/Devils in the 3rd season now (1976-77) and for 2 seasons in a row my available money for FA´s is -(minus)$30mil.
budget is $72mil and my payroll $52mil.
Very annoying as i´m not able to sign anyone (FA´s, draftees) for 2 years now

Could anyone explain to me if it´s a glitch or i just don´t get it how the financial system works ??
Attached Images

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Last edited by Duranium; 04-10-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
KooPee
Bat Boy

Quote:
playing the Scouts/Rockies/Devils in the 3rd season now (1976-77) and for 2 seasons in a row my available money for FA´s is -(minus)$30mil.
budget is $72mil and my payroll $52mil.
Very annoying as i´m not able to sign anyone (FA´s, draftees) for 2 years now

Could anyone explain to me if it´s a glitch or i just don´t get it how the financial system works ??
I think you can sign draftees to a minimum contract $550k per year. It works for me and I´m over $47M in red with the Jets.
KooPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooPee View Post
I think you can sign draftees to a minimum contract $550k per year. It works for me and I´m over $47M in red with the Jets.
I know ....that still doesn´t mean the finances run properly - f.e. can´t sign any players returning from the WHA

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #15
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I know ....that still doesn´t mean the finances run properly - f.e. can´t sign any players returning from the WHA
I'm playing a Scouts/Rockies/Devils game right now so I'm on the lookout for this phenomenon Duranium. It sounds just like what killed the game I was describing in the OP, so I'm thinking there might be a bug but I can't say definitively yet.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm playing a Scouts/Rockies/Devils game right now so I'm on the lookout for this phenomenon Duranium. It sounds just like what killed the game I was describing in the OP, so I'm thinking there might be a bug but I can't say definitively yet.
Already delivered an e-mail with all known historical mode glitches to Seb and updating that from now on...

btw - the same in my currently running Pens game (from 1984 on) -$9mil and counting, even if you shed salary nothing changes in the finance section

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

I just posted in another thread about a workaround. It is basically what KooPee posted here but he was describing actually works for more than draftees and min contracts. Only the FIRST year must be at MIN.

Duranium, thanks for updating Seb on this. I've been trying to figure out what mechanism is broken, but it is extremely difficult on the outside looking in. I think it is either offered contracts accumulating or the game doesn't forward the financial year and refresh the budget. This might also explain why the offered contracts accumulate since every contract you offer would seem to have been offered in the same financial year to the game finance mechanism. OTOH, shouldn't an 'offered' contract simply move to an 'actual' contract once accepted? That would have to mean that the contract, or part of it is double counted.... and so my head goes around in circles....

The unfortunate thing is that if it weren't for the financial issue this game is very playable. There are hiccups and I've had three crashes (two of them were the same thing I found.... Where do I report a bug again?) but otherwise I'm having a blast until the finances break down. Even then I'm working around it for now, but I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy the game without fudging this stuff.

As for the other stuff, I don't much care about HCs although it is a nice feature. It can wait. The ME works well enough for me. It seems to be good enough most of the time to give you a good season result. For the msotpart good teams win and bad teams lost. I'm constantly wondering how much age figures into performance, though. In any event, I'm cool with the ME (that sounds like an opening for a great psychology session....).

Last edited by AEWHistory; 04-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Already delivered an e-mail with all known historical mode glitches to Seb and updating that from now on...

btw - the same in my currently running Pens game (from 1984 on) -$9mil and counting, even if you shed salary nothing changes in the finance section
Thanks Duranium!

Nothing changes at all when you shed salary? I know I've been able to bring my debt down, both with the yearly "boost" and doing something else... I thought trades. I'll need to look back into this. Perhaps I was wrong.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thanks Duranium!

Nothing changes at all when you shed salary? I know I've been able to bring my debt down, both with the yearly "boost" and doing something else... I thought trades. I'll need to look back into this. Perhaps I was wrong.
funny thing, in my currently running Nordiques game (season 3 - 1982-83) sometimes shedded salary gets substracted, sometimes not.
Have to agree with you, 3 issues remaining until the historical mode is VERY enjoyable:
1) Budget isssue
2) FA re-/signings ... sometimes easy, sometimes no chance at all to resign - like lottery
3) ME still very buggy sometimes (np with that as they're already coding the new ME)....stuff like 3 GA in 12 seconds and so on.
Anyway, good teams mostly win, bad teams loose (3 seasons now and 1 SC, 1 lost finals and once eliminated in the conference finals after my 4 top scores got knocked out by the Isles...lol)

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
funny thing, in my currently running Nordiques game (season 3 - 1982-83) sometimes shedded salary gets substracted, sometimes not.
Have to agree with you, 3 issues remaining until the historical mode is VERY enjoyable:
1) Budget isssue
2) FA re-/signings ... sometimes easy, sometimes no chance at all to resign - like lottery
3) ME still very buggy sometimes (np with that as they're already coding the new ME)....stuff like 3 GA in 12 seconds and so on.
Anyway, good teams mostly win, bad teams loose (3 seasons now and 1 SC, 1 lost finals and once eliminated in the conference finals after my 4 top scores got knocked out by the Isles...lol)
Okay, I've been playing out my league further to see what I can induce. I'm playing my team normal-ish so my results should be fairly accurate. Here are my observations:

1. I CAN get my budget back to positives, but only barely. Last seasons I was at $-9mil and after the offseason I'm at positive $1.2 mil. This seems to be a combo of players leaving and the yearly boost in available funds.
2. I strongly suspect that the problems with resigning players has almost everything to do with player happiness. Players who are happy seem to resign easily. Players who have frowny faces rebuff you. The neutral faces I'm not sure about. I'm thinking they might be the "one offer and done" folks.
3. The "restricted" free agents is a real problem. Right now it seems like every player who becomes a free agent from my roster becomes a player whom I own the rights to but I can only rarely sign him and he doesn't enter the FAgent market. This leads to some weird situations. Now that the WHA has folded in my game I am hoping this might change.

I'd like to post my save game so anyone can look for themselves but I have no clue where the file is or how to post. Any help?