Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Advancing Runners--Ball Very Deep

I just started playing again with v13 and now 14. I play out about 75% of my games using one pitch mode. One thing I'm seeing is runners always being thrown out when you choose the option to advance and the ball is described as being very deep. It doesn't matter how good the OF's arm is or how good the base runner is--they are always thrown out. And when I say always I mean always. Now maybe I'm wrong. It's been a long time since I've even tried to advance runners in this situation.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I just checked the text database. All of the PbP that refers to a "deep" fly ball is conditioned for "very deep" (the deepest depth, if you will). So, if what you say is true, we have three potential issues (that I can think of):

1. The condition (i.e., "very deep") for the text object does not work right.
2. The tokens for flyball depth (which I have no control over) may not be precise.
3. "Deep" can vary according to stadium and precise location (if OOTP matches up to this Retrosheet diagram: Retrosheet Hit Location Diagram)

I'm guessing that No. 1 is unlikely. No. 2 is possible. The problem is that the language assigned to this token may be imprecise enough to give the user the wrong impression of flyball depth. But this is something only Markus could determine. And No. 3 is also possible. The grid areas with a "D" range can (in some cases) cover a rather large section. Perhaps the ball is hit to the nearest end of the "78D" section, for example; but in our mind, we assume it's hit to the farthest end of the same section.

One thing you could do that might help narrow it down is this: the next time(s) it happens, let me know exactly how the PbP text reads for the at-bat. Thanks!
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

I should of narrowed it down a bit. I think it's mainly runners being thrown out at home advancing on extra base hits.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

OK. That's a bit different. Runners going from first to home on a double? Something like that, right?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
OK. That's a bit different. Runners going from first to home on a double? Something like that, right?
Yes.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

When you say always, how many times is it? Sample size does matter.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Hmm. I don't recall other complaints recently about this issue. I'd recommend doing what I said before: let me know the exact wording of the PbP. In addition, it might help if you identified the hit location (found in the game log). Part of the problem is that the user cannot "see" the play for himself (like a third base coach is able to). Did the outfielder play the ball cleanly? Did the runner hesitate at all? The OOTP PbP is never going to give us all we'd like to know. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
When you say always, how many times is it? Sample size does matter.
No sample size to give you. I just play the game. I don't run tests or do analyses. I'll just put it this way. I've played 25 seasons in one of my leagues and I gave up ever choosing to advance a runner when the ball is described as being "very deep" about 15 seasons ago as it was a sure out.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
pumph
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Thorp View Post
No sample size to give you. I just play the game. I don't run tests or do analyses. I'll just put it this way. I've played 25 seasons in one of my leagues and I gave up ever choosing to advance a runner when the ball is described as being "very deep" about 15 seasons ago as it was a sure out.
I don't mean to be sarcastic, but the game has been out for a month, and you've played 25 seasons out using 1-pitch mode?
pumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumph View Post
I don't mean to be sarcastic, but the game has been out for a month, and you've played 25 seasons out using 1-pitch mode?
Actually I meant in version 13. And I'm sure I exaggerated somewhat when I said "always". However I still hold that in v13 so many runners were thrown out when the ball was described as "very deep" that I found it useless to even try it. This has not been an issue in v14 and I've found the base running/advancing runners to be fine.