Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #61
millhousebc
Minors (Double A)

I imported the OOTP 11 OpeningNCAA league from padres site, into OOTP 12. I wanted to use this setup for my college feeder league. When I go to the options of selecting where I want the draft to get its players from, the "get players from feeder league" option is not there. Only when I select a college feeder or HS feeder from the "add minor league" list, does the option of using the feeder league for my draft. Is there a way of turning a league into a feeder league? Hope my question makes sense.
Thanks.
millhousebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #62
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhousebc View Post
I imported the OOTP 11 OpeningNCAA league from padres site, into OOTP 12. I wanted to use this setup for my college feeder league. When I go to the options of selecting where I want the draft to get its players from, the "get players from feeder league" option is not there. Only when I select a college feeder or HS feeder from the "add minor league" list, does the option of using the feeder league for my draft. Is there a way of turning a league into a feeder league? Hope my question makes sense.
Thanks.
Imported leagues or league templates, cannot be affiliated to existing leagues as feeders. Only as minor leagues. That is probably why you do not see that option. Feeders have to be created from the game setup of the desired league.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson

Last edited by ashantewarrier; 08-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #63
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polydamas View Post
Another problem that I am seeing is that most high school players don't go to college.

I have 126 high school teams and 50 college teams, yet nearly all college players didn't play in my high school feeder.
Just my 2 cents but I don't really see this as a problem. I would think for the game to have an up and coming talent pool at the proper level it is going to have to create some players.

I think feeders have to be a bit abstracted so we can have a baseball world where 126 HS and 50 College teams are able to make a class of players that are draft material. The alternative is to make a real amateur baseball world with many thousands of HS teams and thousands of College teams that would bloat save files\load times beyond what most would want.

Hey, FM does it in the football\soccer world so I would assume it is possible but would it be worth the coding time? Not likely when you consider most FM players do not load all leagues but pick and choose so they have a game that will actually run on their machines. I think you'd end up the same way with OOTP.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #64
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Is there a way to control the talent level? I'm interested in having a fictional league with only one or two levels of minors. However, instead of having the feeder league be 30 or 60 teams I would like to have more of a NCAA setup with 96 teams. I'm concerened that the talent pool will be to good with that many teams. Is there a way that I can control the talent level?
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #65
luger
Minors (Triple A)

If someone could indulge me... A couple of theoretical questions for you all about the effects of these settings...

1) If I were to have a league with less feeder teams than this guide recommends, what would the league look like after 20 years or so? Would it be more guys with low potential in the majors and not a lot of guys with max potential?
2) Same question for if I had more feeder teams than recommended here... Would even the benchwarmers in the majors be great players?
3) If I were to have a league with the right amount of feeder teams but the number of draft rounds was below the recommended number, what would that league look like eventually?
4) Same question but if the draft rounds were higher than recommended.

I love the immersion factor of feeder leagues but am just still muddled about the effects of them and the settings that I choose.
luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #66
kehowey
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger View Post
If someone could indulge me... A couple of theoretical questions for you all about the effects of these settings...

1) If I were to have a league with less feeder teams than this guide recommends, what would the league look like after 20 years or so? Would it be more guys with low potential in the majors and not a lot of guys with max potential?
2) Same question for if I had more feeder teams than recommended here... Would even the benchwarmers in the majors be great players?
3) If I were to have a league with the right amount of feeder teams but the number of draft rounds was below the recommended number, what would that league look like eventually?

I love the immersion factor of feeder leagues but am just still muddled about the effects of them and the settings that I choose.
Good question. I'm interested in other's thoughts. We might also ask does a feeder player fizzle in the big leagues more than a non-feeder drafted player.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #67
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

I have a problem: I set up my feeders for my MLB league like suggested in the first post (I did 3 COL leagues, 3 HS leagues, each 30 teams => 180 feeder teams) but they produce waaaay to many players for the draft. I have had more than 2100 players in the last 3 drafts (one of those years I had ~2600) and I have never ever had less than 1500 in 8 years of my game (~1000 would be enough). I also reminded the game to only use players from feeder leagues for the draft.

So what's the problem? Any suggestions? I got the feeling that half of my feeder leagues would be enough to create the number of players I need.

Plus some COL and HS teams seem to release big prospects for no reason

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #68
dcd111
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post
I have a problem: I set up my feeders for my MLB league like suggested in the first post (I did 3 COL leagues, 3 HS leagues, each 30 teams => 180 feeder teams) but they produce waaaay to many players for the draft. I have had more than 2100 players in the last 3 drafts (one of those years I had ~2600) and I have never ever had less than 1500 in 8 years of my game (~1000 would be enough). I also reminded the game to only use players from feeder leagues for the draft.

So what's the problem? Any suggestions? I got the feeling that half of my feeder leagues would be enough to create the number of players I need.

According to a note in the first post, the number of players that move on to the draft can increase from the usual 6 to 9 per team depending on your age creation settings. I'm not an expert on feeders (I used them in 11 but not in 12 so far), but you may want to post your age rules and age creation settings for your feeder leagues. That might help the feeder experts around here figure out what's going on.
dcd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #69
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd111 View Post
According to a note in the first post, the number of players that move on to the draft can increase from the usual 6 to 9 per team depending on your age creation settings. I'm not an expert on feeders (I used them in 11 but not in 12 so far), but you may want to post your age rules and age creation settings for your feeder leagues. That might help the feeder experts around here figure out what's going on.
okay. I set the age for created players to 14 (HS) and 18 (COL). Age rules are 14-17 for HS and 18-22 for COL.

F2P Team
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #70
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

18-21 is 4 years of college. players would be 22 in the draft
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #71
Aaron
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post

I had the same problem, see here.

Eventually, I just started doing test run after test run to come to a set up I was ok with. In my 30 team league with 6 minor leagues I have 36 teams in my 4 yr college, 16 two yr college, and 40 in my high school feeder. They produce anywhere from 1000-1200.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #72
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger View Post

1. Not much different than if you ran the draft without feeders. Assuming you chose to feeders + additional players for the draft. If you don't chose that your drafts will shorter than expected.
2. Depends on how many more. Doubling the number will definitely increase quality. Player creation, I think, is set so that the percentage of top players should stay close to constant. So more players more talent.
3. Probably no effect. You have enough players to keep your minors full but they are more undrafted free agents that teams will sign.
4. Higher rounds again would be the same as more feeders if you select feeders+generated players for the draft.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #73
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcd111 View Post
What Aaron I seemed to have found is that feeders are only guaranteed to generate 6 to 9 players for the draft if after league creation you change the player creation age max to = min. Sometimes the game generates older players to replace a graduated player and it can up the number in the draft if rules max player age = created max player age. If created player max age = rules min player age all guys generated are freshman and the age distribution from setup is pretty much preserved. If new players can be any allowable age sometimes the game creates too many seniors making a big draft class.

Also if you use JUCO teams and set the rules to a 2 year league then that number doubles. Essentially approximately 25% of a team graduates every year in a 4 year league which is around 7 players for 25 man teams. In a 2 year league that changes to 50% or around 13.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #74
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I had the same problem, see here.

Eventually, I just started doing test run after test run to come to a set up I was ok with. In my 30 team league with 6 minor leagues I have 36 teams in my 4 yr college, 16 two yr college, and 40 in my high school feeder. They produce anywhere from 1000-1200.
thanks mate, that thread and your suggestion really helped me. I set up a test league yesterday and ran it a few years. So far everything looks very good

F2P Team
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #75
luger
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
1. Not much different than if you ran the draft without feeders. Assuming you chose to feeders + additional players for the draft. If you don't chose that your drafts will shorter than expected.
If you use your settings on the first page, do you have feeders + additional players turned on? I've always just kept feeders only.
luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #76
longshotsoftball
Minors (Double A)

New feeder league players?

I just tried to create a HS feeder league but it doesnt generate new players. How can i make sure that the league that im creating generates new players, what am i doing wrong
longshotsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #77
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Does the league having players on the team? Is the league playing games?

The problem I see happen a lot is that when you create a feeder in the offseason prior to 1/1 it often sets the first year schedule for the current year rather than next season. Lets say I check a HS league on 11/1/2011 to play in 2012. The game defualts to schedule starts on 4/1/2011 not 4/1/2012. If you don't correct that after some time the league gets suck in the 2011 season without ever playing a game. So you can either create feeders on 1/1/20XX or later, or make sure you change the starting date. 9 times out of 10 a league not working right, in my experience, is due to me setting up the league in the calendar year before it starts and not changing the start date to the next year. The league gets permanently stuck if you do this and you have to delete the league and build a new one.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #78
longshotsoftball
Minors (Double A)

after looking everything over i realized my mistake was i had the create ghost players box unchecked so therefore the feeder league had no players to feed.

thanks
longshotsoftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #79
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
In a standard MLB setup you have AAA, AA, two A teams, Short A, 2 rookie levels. That is 7 levels so you need 35 rounds.
Not exactly. There are about 22 teams (not always exactly 22) at each of short A, Rookie-Advanced (Pioneer/Appalachian Leagues), and Rookie (AZL/GCL). While OOTP does not distinguish between R-A and R, this is a total of about 66 teams between the three levels. So 31 or 32 rounds is the best setup for the MLB quickstart.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #80
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Is there a way to restock feeder teams without having a draft? Can't seem to figure it out.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote