Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Injured players need to lower their salary demands

It's annoying to see an injured dude commanding whatever salary he thought he was worth before he got injured, on the FA market. It has no basis in reality.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

Unless he is going to miss more than 50% of the season why not command it, especially if they'll be recovered before or early in to the season
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

In my opinion it actually does have a basis in reality, Any player who is injured, and any GM who is considering signing a player who is injured does so with the hope and belief that the player in question will preform at a comperable level previous to his injury or even better. The only thing that is unrealistic is the fact that we can't see the medical records of the player or sign him contingent on them passing a physical. It's a buyer beware scenerio.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
It's annoying to see an injured dude commanding whatever salary he thought he was worth before he got injured, on the FA market. It has no basis in reality.
Ask the Atlanta Braves. They signed Nick Markakis to a much higher contract than most people thought he would get when 100% healthy while knowing he needed a neck operation.

Stranger than fiction!

In OOTP the injured player demand, if he is a FA, will drop quickly when no offers come. AI teams never sign injured players so it can become a human exploit as ST approaches.

Overall it seems to work as I would expect. In my experience only.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
moneyball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
In OOTP the injured player demand, if he is a FA, will drop quickly when no offers come. AI teams never sign injured players so it can become a human exploit as ST approaches.
Exact thing happened to me recently. One of my older starters got hurt, didn't meet his vesting criteria, and became a free agent. He wanted a ton of money on the FA market, but his demands dropped way down once preseason started. I was able to sign him on the cheap. He only missed the first month of the season. If I knew the AI never signed injured players, I would have held out even longer!
"It's about getting things down to one number. Using the stats the way we read them, we'll find value in players that no one else can see. People are overlooked for a variety of biased reasons and perceived flaws. Age, appearance, personality. Bill James and mathematics cut straight through that. Billy, of the 20,000 notable players for us to consider, I believe that there is a championship team of twenty-five people that we can afford, because everyone else in baseball undervalues them."
moneyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyball View Post
Exact thing happened to me recently. One of my older starters got hurt, didn't meet his vesting criteria, and became a free agent. He wanted a ton of money on the FA market, but his demands dropped way down once preseason started. I was able to sign him on the cheap. He only missed the first month of the season. If I knew the AI never signed injured players, I would have held out even longer!
I may have overstated that. I have a hazy recollection of having an injured pitcher signed from under my nose but it was at or around ST. The same strategy applies; wait it out.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Phantom9in
Minors (Double A)

The AI will USUALLY sign top level injured FAs when they have about 3-5 weeks of injury time left....at least that's my experience with it.

Phantom9in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Guess like most things it's league specific. I've worked around it, just annoyed me.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Kasabian
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Ask the Atlanta Braves. They signed Nick Markakis to a much higher contract than most people thought he would get when 100% healthy while knowing he needed a neck operation.
Funnily enough, in my O's game, I was negotiating an extension with Markakis towards the end of the season, he got injured, supposed to be out for 1-2 months or something, and dropped his asking amount.
Kasabian is offline   Reply With Quote