Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
KooPee
Bat Boy

Historical mode - 1979 NHL expansion

I got fired after my team New England Whalers switched from WHA to NHL. This happened despite having the no firing option on.

I had a good game going on and now itīs all down the drain
KooPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Just take the Team back over.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
KooPee
Bat Boy

Yup, I couldīve done that, but I didnīt. The point is, I shouldnīt have been fired in the first place!

Anyways, I got offered a job with the Jets and by the looks of it, Iīm gonna have my hands full for the time being.
KooPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, this is a limitation of the game engine right now - the four 1979 NHL expansion teams are separate entities from their WHA predecessors. So when the WHA dies, the teams go with it, and their staff (including you) becomes unemployed. I'd like to get that whole WHA-NHL transition operating a lot more like it did in real life, but it'll mean Sebastian having to go in and hardcode a bunch of things - in addition to staff transferring over, there also needs to be a variety of rules that handle player protection and claims by NHL teams.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

To be fair to the designers here, the 1979 expansion/merger/whateveryawannacallit is an extremely odd event that would be exceedingly difficult to simulate properly. You need to fold the WHA, bring those teams in the NHL, and then have a reverse expansion draft where the WHA teams can only protect four players (2g and 2 other players) so the "old" NHL teams can reclaim their players. THEN the "old" NHL teams would protect a much larger core of players while the former WHA teams rummaged among those scraps to rebuild. And then instead of getting the top picks in the next draft they'd get the bottom picks (yea, the NHL wasn't nice to the WHA... no surprise).

Now that's a trimmed down version because if you really wanted to sim the merger properly then you'd need to take historic changes into account. So you'd need a mechanism for the NHL owners to vote on the merger. You'd also need a mechanism for the WHA teams that are more and less successful financially to move in and out of contention for inclusion in the NHL merger. In other words you'd need to be able to simulate a nice little chunk of economic history. Even then you'd be leaving a lot out.

Anyway, none of that means that you should've been automatically fired during the merger. EDIT: I see how they did the "merger" above. This is the easiest and fastest route, no doubt. Maybe in a future version there will be a more complex or robust system or even a way to simulate the WHA surviving (it was always a longshot IMO). That's definitely going to have to wait methinks.

Last edited by AEWHistory; 04-11-2014 at 12:49 PM.
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote