Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
gabeeg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Advancing the runner from third on any hit....

My first newb question now that I am committing to understanding the game. In the couple dozen PbP games I have run I consistently find that when I have a runner on third they will not go for home on bunt, fly ball out, etc. A few times now I have had a bunt with the AI throwing the runner out at first...but my man on third stayed put. I also notice that the AI does not have this issue and his runners in the same situations will run home from third. It does not seem to matter what the runners base running and speed attributes are. Does not seem to matter the number of outs.

My question is how do I encourage my men on third to find some balls and go for home. In PbP is there some other button I should be considering than "swing away" or "bunt" in these situations to encourage the base runner? Thanks for any suggestions!
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

"Bunt" will not tell the runner to advance, if he is not forced to do so. You'll want to hit "Squeeze Bunt" or "Safety Squeeze."

With "Safety Squeeze," the runner on third will wait for the batter to bunt the ball, and as soon as contact is made, he'll take off for home. "Squeeze Bunt" is called a "Suicide Squeeze" in real life; the runner will break for home with the pitch instead of waiting for the batter to bunt. A Safety Squeeze is safer for the runner on third, as there's no chance he'll get caught if the batter misses the bunt, but a Suicide Squeeze will nearly always score the runner - provided the batter makes contact with the ball. It's a risk/reward scenario.

As for not scoring on a fly ball, there's a few factors that the game takes into consideration - the ball has to be deep enough, for one. If it's deep enough, the runner will advance on his own accord; if it's medium-depth, the game will give you the option to try for home if you choose; if it's shallow, the runner likely won't advance.

EDIT: "Squeeze" is a weird word. One of those that stops looking real after you write it five times in a row.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 07-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Also, there is a bug that is causing runners to sometimes remain at third and not attempt to tag up and score on deep fly balls to the outfield. There is a potential fix coming in an update for OOTP. The bug was verified by the developers.

I have also experienced some other issues with runners on third not trying to score on ground balls hit to the right side of the infield. I had a case where the defense attempted to turn a double play, which failed, and the runner on third never broke from home.

I've reported this as well, and hopefully there will be a fix for it.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
gabeeg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Fyrestorm3,

Thanks for the info on how to handle the man on third with a bunt...I just assumed he should go on the throw to first.

Only one time so far have I gotten the pop-up asking me if I wanted the man on third to go for home on a fly. The other times whether ground that got into the outfield or a fly that made it down...he just sat there.

Charlie,

Yes! that was the most frustrating as with no outs I had a man on third, the AI turned a double play and my 3rd base runner just sat there! This also explains the grounders or the flys that got through and my man on third just sat there. I can live with it but...I hope they fix it pretty soon.

...I was about to have my third base coach executed behind the stadium...guess I will let him live now.
gabeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Also, there is a bug that is causing runners to sometimes remain at third and not attempt to tag up and score on deep fly balls to the outfield. There is a potential fix coming in an update for OOTP. The bug was verified by the developers.

I have also experienced some other issues with runners on third not trying to score on ground balls hit to the right side of the infield. I had a case where the defense attempted to turn a double play, which failed, and the runner on third never broke from home.

I've reported this as well, and hopefully there will be a fix for it.
I've seen these things as well--good to know it's being looked into. I'm still wondering about the case when you're given the option to send the runner home from third and the ball is described as being "very deep." It seems that the runner is thrown out way, way too often. Is anyone else seeing this?
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
SteveP

One piece of info that may help explain what is going on:

In OOTP, if the inf is playing in, a runner on third will never try to advance on a ball hit in the infield (there is a rare exception). If the inf is playing normal, the man on third will attempt to advance in that situation -- moreover, he will always advance safely. This latter fact tends to produce too many runs on infield GBs compared to real life stats, given the usual default settings on how the AI sets infield positioning. There is a fix for that, but that's a subject for another thread.

I have no particular insight into advances on FOs to the outfield.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote