Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #101
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Standard usage.

Oxford Dictionaries:

Definition of vanilla in English
vanilla
Syllabification: (va·nil·la)
Pronunciation: /vəˈnilə/
Translate vanilla | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish

adjective
(also plain vanilla) informal
having no special or extra features; ordinary or standard:
choosing plain vanilla technology wherever you can will save you money
the original, vanilla MP3 format is still the most commonly encountered form of the technology
they seem to be quite content in their plain vanilla domestic life
Kinda like managing a 10 man bullpen?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #102
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Again, will you guys please stop this? Thank you.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #103
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Is it Jehovah's-Witness-like to urge everyone to give SO a try, given that so many of us have tried it and found it to be our favorite way to play? I make a point of being clear that it's not for everyone and that everyone should play the game the way that they enjoy it most, whatever that is.

If it is then we know very different Jehovah's Witnesses, and I had one for a close friend.

Personally I think it would be selfish of us to have found such a fun way to play the game and not to share it enthusiastically.
That's fine, The Wolf. But please also recognize constructive criticism and take it in the spirit that it is given.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #104
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Back on topic after the distractions...

I'm getting a lot of PMs about setting up feeder leagues for Stats Only. To learn about this, I recommend that you read the posts about feeder leagues in this thread and also

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...gue-guide.html
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #105
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, will you guys please stop this? Thank you.
I've got to agree with Wolf on this one, guys. He has said nothing in this thread that was a personal attack on someone. Anyone who thinks he has is reading his posts with a jaded eye, and assuming that he's being a jerk from old grudges alone.

It's weird - we can all get together and mention our favorite teams with no problem; Yankees fans and Red Sox fans coexist on these forums in peace. But bring up stats-only, and suddenly it's war.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #106
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I've got to agree with Wolf on this one, guys. He has said nothing in this thread that was a personal attack on someone. Anyone who thinks he has is reading his posts with a jaded eye, and assuming that he's being a jerk from old grudges alone.

It's weird - we can all get together and mention our favorite teams with no problem; Yankees fans and Red Sox fans coexist on these forums in peace. But bring up stats-only, and suddenly it's war.
I agree, this is stupid. Play it your way. He simply states the reasons he plays stats-only. It almost sounds like insecurity in the way they play, by the way people are getting so offended. Keep in mind guys, we're talking about a computer game here. Yes, a great one, but let's all relax a little. What would your wives say?
soxfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #107
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
What would your wives say?
"Stop playing that damned baseball game and take the garbage out."

Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #108
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

I've played OOTP religiously for more than a decade and almost all of that was with ratings on. In the last few weeks I've started playing with Potential Ratings being turned off, Current and Other are on my usual 1-10 scale and, for a rarity, I am actually playing with Scouts on. I like having Current on to give me a quick and easy way to evaluate a player's usefulness, but this way I have no idea how good he may eventually get or if he is going to start declining soon.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #109
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Like many in this thread I have come to know and love the stats only. Outside the draft being a bit of a pain (at least star ratings?)
Of course, whatever you like. Some people like an uncertain draft, and some don't. It's all about what you personally enjoy most.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #110
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

My personal preference is looking through college/high school stats and scouting reports to try to figure out who to draft. Sometimes I eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats me. Which is as it should be, I think.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #111
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Can someone lock this thread? We've had more than enough discussion on this topic. Play the game how you like it, and don't bash others for how they play it.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #112
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
Can someone lock this thread? We've had more than enough discussion on this topic. Play the game how you like it, and don't bash others for how they play it.
Can this thread please stay open? It's providing useful information about Stats Only.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #113
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I personally don't see the need to lock it, as long as people stop arguing and start discussing.

That goes for both sides.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #114
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Thanks a LOT, Wolf Face Head. I have now gone completely ratings-free, or at least as completely as I possibly can, eliminating POTs and even secondary stats. THIS HAD BETTER WORK IF IT DOESN'T I WILL BLAME YOU
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #115
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Why in the world would we lock this thread? Isn't continuous discussion the point of a message board? You don't have to post in it, or even read it, so why does it matter?

Last edited by soxfan34; 08-02-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
soxfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #116
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Thanks a LOT, Wolf Face Head. I have now gone completely ratings-free, or at least as completely as I possibly can, eliminating POTs and even secondary stats. THIS HAD BETTER WORK IF IT DOESN'T I WILL BLAME YOU
Fair enough.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #117
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I play stats only, always (at least in solo)....and let me make a few points about how I play a little differently than Wolfboy.....not that my way is better, necessarily, but just to let you know that there are other options available......

1) Secondary ratings....turning these off is not prudent....there is only one rating that you can see in them that is not something any baseball man could see with his naked eye and not need stats to evaluate and that is the Error Rating of a fielder....(EDIT: also the Steal Rating....sorry, there are TWO ratings: fear and surprise and a ruthless efficiency)...but there ARE ratings that there is NO way of knowing via stats and MUST be evaluated by sight......Arm rating for fielders is next to impossible to discern from stats, but any idiot with a pair of eyes can quickly tell who's got the goods...Speed is also something that is hard to quantify via stats, but easy with the eyes...steals are an indicator of speed, but only that, while your eyes can judge exactly how fast a man is....etc.....and without the secondary ratings, how do you know what positions a player can play?.....However, I DO recommend setting this to a small scale setting, i.e. 1-5 or 1-10....1-100 or 20-80 will let you see things in finer detail than is really possible with the naked eye....

2) You do NOT need feeder leagues to play stats only.....there are several alternatives....the game generates amateur stats for players without feeder leagues....these are about as useful in OOTP as they are in real life, which is not much....one of the drawbacks of having feeder leagues is that the stats are all created in a uniform environment making statistical analysis easier than in real life where some kids play against super tough competition and others play against St. Mary's School for Blind Girls.....also, the reason I don't use feeders anymore is that the actual ratings of high school players have very little correlation with their potential ratings....the crappiest players in high school can turn out to be the biggest studs in the majors, which is completely unrealistic....

My suggestion is to turn potential stars on only during the draft and utilize the secondary ratings to find a player with a good star rating and a set of secondary ratings that you like.....make sure to check the box for making stars be based on all positions and not by position and uncheck the box to have the AI evaluate the player based on stats....this is MORE realistic to me than using feeder leagues....

3) When playing stats only it is ESSENTIAL to have scouting ON and set to VERY LOW accuracy.....the reason for this is that whether or not you have scouting turned on, you will still get scouting reports on players.....if scouting is turned OFF, these reports will be 100% accurate based on the actual ratings and not fudged at all for scouting errors.....kind of negates turning the ratings off in the first place....

Last edited by Questdog; 08-03-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #118
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Questboy, there are an infinite number of ways to play the game and people should play whichever one they like. I've been making that point all through this thread.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #119
84Hammy
All Star Reserve

This may seem obvious but one thing I do to get into stats only is to play a couple of years with ratings on, get the feel for the league and then usually after a 3rd or 4th draft, turn ratings off. I found this version especially challenging because of the reworking of the draft.
84Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #120
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hammy View Post
This may seem obvious but one thing I do to get into stats only is to play a couple of years with ratings on, get the feel for the league and then usually after a 3rd or 4th draft, turn ratings off. I found this version especially challenging because of the reworking of the draft.
And here's another way.