Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
teddy wolvesevelt
Bat Boy

Letting the CPU promote/demote: Does it ruin your prospects?

Hey guys, I've built up a massive farm system, and I'm wondering if letting the CPU promote/demote players is a good idea. Does the CPU know what it's doing?

I tried managing promotions/demotions myself, but it just became too tedious. Now, with CPU handling it for me, I'm seeing several of my prospects up a few levels, some all the way to the major league club, despite having unimpressive stats at the previous level.

What are your thoughts? Am I ruining prospect development by letting the CPU promote/demote?

Mark
teddy wolvesevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
teddy wolvesevelt
Bat Boy

note: the veterans on my big-league club are terrible, but I don't want the CPU to use that as a reason to rush a guy with almost no time in double-A up to the majors.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

anytime you have a player that you want to stay at a certain level in your minor leagues you can "lock" them into that specific team. Right click on the player...go to his transactions and the second option up from the bottom is Disable/enable AI promotion and demotion. When on your teams transaction screen all players "Locked" to their current team have an Icon of a padlock next to their name to show you they cannot be promoted/demoted by the AI.

This will solve a lot of your issues and is the best option for someone who doesn't want to mess with the "tediousness" of actually taking care of their minor leagues. Also if your guys aren't being played properly by the AI you have the option in "Player Strageties" to force start a player at any position...this will force the AI to play the player when they wouldn't normally.

I highly recommend you make use of these two functions if you want to have some control of developing prospects but don't want the be fully involved in every aspect of your minor league system.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 07-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
teddy wolvesevelt
Bat Boy

Hey, thanks, but I've realized the lock doesn't really work.

Anytime I thin out my major-league roster with a few trades for more prospects, the AI will promote my locked prospect. I gave up on the locks after having to re-assign a dozen prospects every time the organization moved some players. :/

Last edited by teddy wolvesevelt; 07-26-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
ohms_law
Minors (Triple A)

Yea, I've never had much success with the locks and strategies myself. I've basically given up on managing the minor leagues, personally.

The short season leagues probably shouldn't have players in them for the first half of the season either, but the AI hates it when you try to keep them clear.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

weird, Locks and forced starts work for me perfectly fine.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
ohms_law
Minors (Triple A)

Well, I mean... they work, it's just... they're not particularly useful, the way that they're designed. I don't think anyone is complaining that they're buggy or anything (I'm not, at least).
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
teddy wolvesevelt
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
weird, Locks and forced starts work for me perfectly fine.
dammit
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy wolvesevelt View Post
Hey guys, I've built up a massive farm system, and I'm wondering if letting the CPU promote/demote players is a good idea. Does the CPU know what it's doing?

I tried managing promotions/demotions myself, but it just became too tedious. Now, with CPU handling it for me, I'm seeing several of my prospects up a few levels, some all the way to the major league club, despite having unimpressive stats at the previous level.

What are your thoughts? Am I ruining prospect development by letting the CPU promote/demote?

Mark
I'm far from certain, but I believe it is risky.

As best as I can see, the AI makes very odd decisions for AI run teams, but I believe they may get mostly a free pass on the consequences. Guys promoted too fast do not seem ruined, although they have to live with questionable calls as to developing positions.

However, as human GM, your prospects will not develop as well -- including greater risk of loss of potential -- if they are placed at the wrong level. I believe this based on what the manual says, as well as on personal experience. The right placement is a matter of mixing performance with scout suggestions. But the AI might decide that this guy is your best minor league 1B anyway... I would be very surprised (and object) if the human GM gets a free pass on bad decisions just because it was turned over to the AI.

My theory is that there is no way around it, you have to check your prospects once a month, to be sure their placement is still appropriate, if you want to get the best possible results. But it doesn't need to be an overwhelming job -- only the plausible prospects need checking so frequently.
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
Well, I mean... they work, it's just... they're not particularly useful, the way that they're designed. I don't think anyone is complaining that they're buggy or anything (I'm not, at least).
Can you elaborate please? These work the way they're designed and supposed to. They've been a great addition to the game. I find them very useful.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by painmantle View Post
weird, locks and forced starts work for me perfectly fine.
+1
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
ohms_law
Minors (Triple A)

Yea, they work as designed, but... it's just as much work managing the locks as it is to just manage the players. If there are injuries or you cut players, the AI will go ahead and move your guys around on you. See what Teddy said here:
Quote:
Anytime I thin out my major-league roster with a few trades for more prospects, the AI will promote my locked prospect. I gave up on the locks after having to re-assign a dozen prospects every time the organization moved some players. :/
Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I let the AI handle promotion/demotion within the minors without issue. I do keep an eye on where prospects are and I do make adjustments from time to time if I find I disagree with their placement. For the most part I'm happy with the decisions of the AI.

I do control all ML transactions so I can't comment on the AI's ability to properly call-up prospects.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The short season leagues probably shouldn't have players in them for the first half of the season either, but the AI hates it when you try to keep them clear.
I leave players there as minor league injury replacements, then release most of those that suck and / or are too old just before the draft.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
ohms_law
Minors (Triple A)

Yea, I do too (usually), but... the AI doesn't work that way.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I play ALOT of games, I have several solo leagues, I'm in many online leagues (5 to be exact), I have the AI fix my Minor league teams frequently and make adjustments and I have never once seen the AI promote or demote a locked player in ootp14 ...EVER!
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
teddy wolvesevelt
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
I play ALOT of games, I have several solo leagues, I'm in many online leagues (5 to be exact), I have the AI fix my Minor league teams frequently and make adjustments and I have never once seen the AI promote or demote a locked player in ootp14 ...EVER!
That's fine. I have, several times in this year's version and in last year's.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #18
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

if you let the AI hand the minors I would make sure that I dont have roster limits in any of those leagues. It says to have unlimited roster spots at your lowest level but I find it best to not have limits for any of those leagues (I know some guys like to set limits to match reality)
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

have you considered configuring the minors to where only YOU bring up and bring down players... you would then see up and down arrows to help you with promotion and demotion if you so desire
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yea, they work as designed, but... it's just as much work managing the locks as it is to just manage the players. If there are injuries or you cut players, the AI will go ahead and move your guys around on you. See what Teddy said here:
Quote:
Hey, thanks, but I've realized the lock doesn't really work.

The player lock has always worked for me. I suspect this is not the whole story. Why not tell it?

Markus must prevent game crashes by ensuring that a minimum number of players are available on each team and at each level. He probably overrides the lock when there are no players left to move. Are you both creating the problem by removing enough players to force this response? If so, then it seems disingenuous to be concerned about the AI response to the player deficit you created.

If not then say exactly what you do.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote