Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #421
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Some general notes from today's games, FWIW:

PBP - When you're up 6 runs in the top of the 6th you shouldn't have a "chance to get a rally started." *** Hard-Coded... Markus has to fix stuff like this. ***

PBP - Sneaked a curve ball by him, or snuck? Either is accepted by grammarians. Take your choice. I checked it out. I think I left both in the PBP.

PBP - Still don't see the "strikes out the side" notation. Wasn't this added back in? This was requested, but wasn't put in. Maybe in OOTP10.

PBP - Ump calls it a foul ball 'as it left fair territory' - is the latter implied and redundant? Yes, the last part is redundant. What would you say?
PBP - 'Popped straight up' - 'Down the line to short right' - Can you reconcile both of these? You are right. "straight up" should be removed to make good sense. But I can't fix this. They are two separate lines in the game PBP. They are not one call. I could fix it if it was one line.
Comment written in bold above.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-01-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Eugene Church is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #422
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Errors and typos in News and PBP that are in the Text Database, I can fix at least for the time being. Once they begin on OOTP10, I don't know if I will continue to have access at that time. I did not reapply for the Beta Team.
Hmm... have we left Pstrickert and RBL as the only text guys returning then?

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #423
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysok View Post
Hmm... have we left Pstrickert and RBL as the only text guys returning then?
Looks that way, if you are not returning.

Are you definitely not returning?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #424
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Eugene, thanks for all you do and your continued contributions.

I hope circumstances change to allow you to return to the text team.

Here's a couple of pics with very small items, but I know they're important to you.

The first is one with the (n) included (using the newest file) and the other is simply - IMHO - wording, should be gets rather than get.

It could also be changed to 'hurries to' get....

Thanks again.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by endgame; 01-10-2009 at 01:48 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #425
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I second the part about Eugene reconsidering a return to the text team. As for the typos, I changed "got" to "gets." But, strangely enough, the "(n)" problem had already been fixed. I take this to mean that we do not, in fact, have the latest xml file. Markus or Andreas will have to generate a new one and post it.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #426
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I second the part about Eugene reconsidering a return to the text team. As for the typos, I changed "got" to "gets." But, strangely enough, the "(n)" problem had already been fixed. I take this to mean that we do not, in fact, have the latest xml file. Markus or Andreas will have to generate a new one and post it.
I'm still semi-useful.
I just created a new xml file for yall, just compiled it a few minutes ago. I don't know how this host site works so I'll just put all 3 links in here and surely one will work.

english.rar - ImageHost.org

<a target="_blank" href="http://e.imagehost.org/download/0809/english">english.rar (522 KB)</a>

english.rar (522 KB)

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #427
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm still semi-useful.
I just created a new xml file for yall, just compiled it a few minutes ago. I don't know how this host site works so I'll just put all 3 links in here and surely one will work.

<a target="_blank" href="http://e.imagehost.org/download/0809/english">english.rar (522 KB)</a>

english.rar (522 KB)
Thanks for the updated file.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #428
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't rush to judgment on whether that (n) was fixed or not. It is quite likely that even though my file date said what it said, it's actually out of the old one. I may have failed to delete this pic from the post to pbp folder or it was redated when I reframed it. The fact that Doyle shows up makes me question it even more. I'm sorry for any inconvenience if that's the case.

Thanks for being attentive, strickert, and thanks tysok for quickly stepping up should we need that replacement file.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #429
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm still semi-useful.

english.rar (522 KB)

Thanks, tysok! (And as for you, I refuse to believe that you chose not to reapply for beta testing. It's not too late, so get your application in there NOW!)
Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #430
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm still semi-useful.

english.rar (522 KB)
Thanks for doing this text update.

tysok, if you don't mind, can you give me the steps to download and put the updated text file in the game. This computer illiterate could use a little help.

Thanks.

Why don't you post the link on the main Discussions Forum so all the gamers would have access to it.

Not all of them check out this thread.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #431
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Eugene, I don't know where you are with this process right now. Again, I do hope you reconsider your role in the upcoming team selection. I know your schedule may be part of it, but your value would be missed greatly.

In any event, here's a few from today's games. The first, it looks like, may be a text problem in relation to the animation. The setting is right, but the text is off, from what I gather. Look at the ball in relation to the text. The next is a text issue that bunches an 'it' after the catcher's name. I'm not sure what that's all about. The last is the ever evasive n, in its various forms.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by endgame; 01-19-2009 at 01:22 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #432
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eugene, I don't know where you are with this process right now. Again, I do hope you reconsider your role in the upcoming team selection. I know you're schedule may be part of it, but you're value would be missed greatly.
I'd like to add my two cents here in support of these sentiments. I do so with a guilty conscience in two ways:
  1. I hesitate to volunteer somebody else to do work that I am not willing to do myself, and
  2. I'm selfish enough to wish that somebody like Eugene (and tysok) would do the necessary volunteer work in order to make the game better and therefore more enjoyable for me.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #433
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eugene, I don't know where you are with this process right now. Again, I do hope you reconsider your role in the upcoming team selection. I know your schedule may be part of it, but your value would be missed greatly.

In any event, here's a few from today's games. The first, it looks like, may be a text problem in relation to the animation. The setting is right, but the text is off, from what I gather. Look at the ball in relation to the text. The next is a text issue that bunches an 'it' after the catcher's name. I'm not sure what that's all about. The last is the ever evasive n, in its various forms.
Thanks for taking the time to report these errors.

#1 has to be fixed by Markus. It's an animation problem. I will put it Bugzilla.
#2 was a typo...fixed it.
#3 was a typo, I think. The only thing I could see was a "space" that shouldn't be there. I'm just hoping this will fix it. The Text look fine except for the extra space. There was no "n" in the Text Database line.

As far as the the Beta Team, schedule has nothing to do with it. I'm retired. I have plenty of time to work on OOTPB. I'm just tired of the Text Team being a very low priority by Markus.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #434
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
I'd like to add my two cents here in support of these sentiments. I do so with a guilty conscience in two ways:
  1. I hesitate to volunteer somebody else to do work that I am not willing to do myself, and
  2. I'm selfish enough to wish that somebody like Eugene (and tysok) would do the necessary volunteer work in order to make the game better and therefore more enjoyable for me.
I like that, 1998 Yankees. You are lazy, but honest.

I think it is good that you are smart enough to realize not to get on the Beta Team. It is not a good place for lazy people. We had 10 new members last year on the Text Team and I was really excited, several of them worked as real sportswriters. But it didn't pan out. Only two of the new members actually wrote any news stories. They didn't write much... 25-50 stories at most... but at least told me they couldn't participate as much as they would like. I don't know what the rest them did. Maybe they switched to another Beta group. The sportswriters wrote no stories.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #435
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I like that, 1998 Yankees. You are lazy, but honest.

I think it is good that you are smart enough to realize not to get on the Beta Team. It is not a good place for lazy people. We had 10 new members last year on the Text Team and I was really excited, several of them worked as real sportswriters. But it didn't pan out. Only two of the new members actually wrote any news stories. They didn't write much... 25-50 stories at most... but at least told me they couldn't participate as much as they would like. I don't know what the rest them did. Maybe they switched to another Beta group. The sportswriters wrote no stories.
It's better to be smart and lazy than stupid and lazy. That way, you know what's good for you!

Seriously, I stay away from beta testing (assuming I would even be accepted, a big assumption) for the very reason that you pointed out; I would be concerned about not having enough time to do it justice and letting people like you down.

Now, you must know how much you are appreciated and needed by the community, not OOTP. Won't you reconsider?
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #436
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now, you must know how much you are appreciated and needed by the community, not OOTP. Won't you reconsider?
I'll add my voice to the growing choir: the text in OOTP-9 is light years beyond OOTP-2007, and this is largely due to the work of Eugene, tysok, pstrickert and a few other members of the beta text team. Some great work has been done here, in large part because some great people have been involved. Eugene's work has made all of our OOTP experiences immeasurably better, and I very much hope he will continue to lead this vital part of OOTP's development.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #437
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's better to be smart and lazy than stupid and lazy. That way, you know what's good for you!

Seriously, I stay away from beta testing (assuming I would even be accepted, a big assumption) for the very reason that you pointed out; I would be concerned about not having enough time to do it justice and letting people like you down.

You would make a great Beta member with your knowledge of the game.

As far as reconsidering, I have not made a final decision.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-20-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #438
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
I'll add my voice to the growing choir: the text in OOTP-9 is light years beyond OOTP-2007, and this is largely due to the work of Eugene, tysok, pstrickert and a few other members of the beta text team. Some great work has been done here, in large part because some great people have been involved. Eugene's work has made all of our OOTP experiences immeasurably better, and I very much hope he will continue to lead this vital part of OOTP's development.
Thank you. All of the great guys on the Text Team appreciate that.

As you yourself know there are dozens just like the Text Team on the Beta Team.

They all deserve our thanks and appreciation. Many of them I don't even know their names, but I can see the results in the game.

It is troubling to see some of them leave, especially the ones who can do scientific tests like Ronco and Matter2003.

And look what Nutlaw does on the Tech Support Forum. Tony M is a fine moderator, too.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-20-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #439
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

"swung on a missed" should be "swung on and missed." I'm surprised nobody mentioned this typo. I fixed it in the database where, in fact, it occurred in four different text objects.

Last edited by pstrickert; 01-21-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #440
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"swung on a missed" should be "swung on and missed." I'm surprised nobody mentioned this typo. I fixed it in the database where, in fact, it occurred in four different text objects.
How did I/we miss that four times?

Embarrassing. It could have been me.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-22-2009 at 11:55 AM.