Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #161
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
OOTP 8 is a separate game. If they were to issue licenses to each person who has OOTP 2007, Steve has already said they would lose money on each license. Steve has also said that releasing it for $5.99 or whatever the coupon will make it is the lowest they can offer it for and not lose money. If, for example, they lose $5.00 for every license and for example, 10,000 copies, they would lose $50,000 dollars. Now, they need to sell almost 3,400 hundred copies of "OOTP 8.5" just to break even with those 10,000. Is that really a smart business move?
And if it would have been released as I proposed, OOTP 8 wouldn't even need licensing, since only OOTP 2007 owners would get it, and no money would need to change hands. So that issue would be negated.
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #162
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

How about get rid of Licenses because EASPORTS Games don't use one then it could be free but they have Live Play by Play with Commentary and also sold in Stores?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #163
battists
Hall Of Famer

Magnet, I appreciate your sentiment on this, and I'm very sorry that we weren't able to find a way to get the OOTPB 2007 owners absolutely every fix for free.

However, rather than discussing this any further, I'd just like to state that we did explore every option that we considered feasible to minimize the impact on OOTPB 2007 owners. Ultimately, this is the route that we were able to implement, and we certainly hope it doesn't cause us to lose customers.

I certainly would prefer that this thread not turn into a lengthy argument between parties who don't have the whole story, and unfortunately I don't feel comfortable disclosing much more of our internal business decisions to the public.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that helped at all, but there you are.

Thanks very much,

Steve
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #164
SDtwin
Major Leagues

Here we go again with the debates about licensing. I don't have a problem with how it is done now. And it would be very expensive to market this game and get it into stores. I'm a big fan of digital downloads, and E-license seems to be pretty uncrackable, which means more money for Markus. I'm more than willing to put up with it if it means better games later one.
SDtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #165
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

All I know is my cut off price was $20, that's what it came out at, I've installed, it works. Not set up a league yet. Was alarmed when I changed skins and had to wait a couple of minutes for the screen to redraw, but it's all sorted and I'm happy and glad I waited.

Just glad it's finally out! Now I get to experiment and see about sending all the almanac stuff etc... over to my local webserver automatically.

Elicense isn't uncrackable. In fact I know two ways to do it. It's just most Elicense stuff is niche and the sort of people who'd crack and release it don't bother. (Ironically the only OOTP game I've seen cracked and online, and I mean the Elicense protected version, is the red-headed stepchild that is Title Bout.)

I have no problem with Elicense. They've always been courteous and quick. The software has never caused me problems etc... My other experiences were with WWSM 2006 from SI, which used Digital River if i recall. Whoever it was it was absolutely terrible and I had nothing but problems. (Wound up having to get a crack just to use my legitimately purchased game.) I have rFactor which used Trymedia, which while relatively painless still had issues, and the recent RF patch caused a bunch of different issues (you had to burn one of your license activations just for a patch!). And then there's Elicense which I have had no problem with across at least six different machines, has always been almost painless, and I've always been able to play anything I have that uses it within an hour or so of setting up a new machine. And then only that long if I had to relicense. If I had a spare license, it's immediate and just works.

Last edited by Bonedwarf; 12-08-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #166
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
@Wolf: The people at Sports Interactive are really great guys and I really like what they do. I don't understand why you name it "SI crap".
Totally agree with Andreas.

The SI folks were good people and did a good job on the game.

SION on the screen is no problem for me.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #167
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLwebguy View Post
You don't realy have to upgrade, you are not being forced. If you want to use the cato conversion tool (one time thing for most people), get the demo, copy your league file over, do conversion and copy it back to 2007. There saved you $5.

Markus and co work hard at this stuff and probably don't make near as much as we think they do. This is not a big game company so is an extra $5 a big deal? Seriously! Just don't eat out for lunch one day, or whatever.

And as far as SION goes, big freaking deal. The game is a lot further advanced for their breif partnership with SI. I am sure they took away a lot of valuable knowledge.

Think of SION as something other than Sports Interactive if that has your panties in a bunch.

I will gladly fork over $5 or $20 if it means Markus wil continue to make this product. If he gave up, then we would have to go to puresim or mogul to get our fix, and frankly, I would rather OOTP anyday.

Amen, brother RBLwebguy, Amen.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #168
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

I have to say, having recently bought Puresim too, there's a lot of stuff that game does that I really like that OOTP doesn't. (The PSPN stuff for example. I enjoy the different showcases each issue.)
Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #169
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
I am not ultra-frugal, I am ultra-poor. There is a huge difference. If I had more money to throw around, $5 would be nothing. But I don't, and I know I'm not the only one.
Send me your mailing address in a PM and I will be happy to purchase OOTP8 for you.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #170
pbar25
Major Leagues

I've purchased four or five versions of this game, and always look forward to new releases. Long-time forum reader... don't post much.

Unfortunately, there is just something not right about OOTP7 users being charged for this. From an objective point of view stated by an avid PC gamer = this is a patch.

Yes, by all means... create a new game produced by the new company and profit off of the new OOTP fans that have just found this extraordinary game. That's a wonderful thing.

But the OOTP7 purchasers should be an important group of customers. They are the bedrock.
Charging them to patch their game just isn't right. Shady to say the least, and quite the risk. Will it be worth it? Probably. But it won't be at my expense.

I don't say this to stir things up or to come off as rude. Simply a customer stating my feelings on your business decision. Best of luck.
pbar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #171
Oxydizer
All Star Reserve

I totally agree with everyone...Even you!!!
Oxydizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #172
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar25 View Post
But the OOTP7 purchasers should be an important group of customers. They are the bedrock.
Charging them to patch their game just isn't right. Shady to say the least, and quite the risk. Will it be worth it? Probably. But it won't be at my expense.
I should resist the urge to get into this further, because I think in some cases you simply can't convince others of your perspective. But, although Markus and Andreas wrote it, OOTPB 2007 is a SEGA/SI product. Since OOTP is now a separate company, we are not entitled to release a patch for their game. At the same time, we were not legally entitled to release a completely identical game with a different name slapped on it. Instead, we tried to find a way that we could offer the same benefits to OOTPB 2007 users for as close to no cost as possible. This was the best we were able to come up with. I understand your sentiment completely, but I would hope that the general impression received by the public isn't one of "shadiness." Trust me, if we are able to offer the discount to OOTPB 2007 users, we won't make money on the OOTPB 2007 users who buy OOTP 8.

Anyway, like I said, I understand your perspective, and I certainly respect anyone's desire to not buy OOTP 8. However, please understand that there is nothing "shady" going on here!

Steve

Last edited by battists; 12-08-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #173
JWay
Hall Of Famer

you guys act like these few updates took Markus no time at all, He probably spent some time on this, he deserves to get paid. $5, who cares. Trade McDonalds for a sandwich tomorrow. If you already eat sandwiches, well ask everyone you see for a quarter, eventually you'll have $5 hah.
JWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #174
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedwarf View Post
I have to say, having recently bought Puresim too, there's a lot of stuff that game does that I really like that OOTP doesn't. (The PSPN stuff for example. I enjoy the different showcases each issue.)
Puresim really does have a lot of nice features.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #175
evanbarth
Major Leagues

So OOTP 8 has a 2007 roster with full minors? Is that right?

If so, how is the roster compared to Cubby's roster? I've started a season with that one in 2007. Is it worth starting over with this roster?

If not, if I get OOTP 8, when's the best time to import the roster? Is it fine to do it during the season?

Thanks!
evanbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #176
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanbarth View Post
So OOTP 8 has a 2007 roster with full minors? Is that right?

If so, how is the roster compared to Cubby's roster? I've started a season with that one in 2007. Is it worth starting over with this roster?

If not, if I get OOTP 8, when's the best time to import the roster? Is it fine to do it during the season?

Thanks!
In the original post, there's a link to some discussion on the roster set. May I humbly suggest that said thread would be the best place to discuss it?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #177
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Puresim really does have a lot of nice features.
Really like it a lot. Not much else to say really. There's just lot of little touches I like. I'm trying to think of a comparison to some other software to say how I see the differences, but I can't think of one that at first glance wouldn't appear derogatory to either game, and I like BOTH. In fact it's keeping me from Advanced Tactics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxydizer View Post
I totally agree with everyone...Even you!!!
And I agree with you!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 AM   #178
mauboy
Hall Of Famer

Say, uh... Why not call it OOTP7 and pretend you never missed a beat. Technically, or not technically, you've gone from 6.5 to 8.
mauboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 AM   #179
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy View Post
Say, uh... Why not call it OOTP7 and pretend you never missed a beat. Technically, or not technically, you've gone from 6.5 to 8.
7 was OOTP 2006.
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #180
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I have bad news. OOTP8 is still branded with SI crap.

The first on-field game I went to play had "SION" in big letters in the banner above the playing field. Underneath it, text read: "SI Online Network Live."

I thought that part of what we were paying for in OOTP8 was to have all of the SI crap taken out, not to have it left in!

I am very, very disappointed.
SI crap??

SI has set the gold standard for sport sims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny P. View Post
Try to rob me at gun point, I'll just kick your ass. No cops needed!
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote