Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #341
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

I had OOTP2006 last year. I honestly didn't play it nearly as much as I did OOTP3, 4, 5, etc.

However I've been thinking about the game lately with all the hot-stove action going on in real world MLB and then I received the email announcing OOTP8 for $20. Needless to say I'm definitely interested.

I have some questions though.

One, I read about importing your OOTP2006 league into OOTP8. Will it keep my leaderboards detailed, the list of award winners for each year, etc etc? I know in one of the versions there was an "Almanac" but if you imported from a previous version the Almanac obviously didn't work for the years you imported. Is there an almanac in OOTP8, and if so does it include all the years of your history?

The reason I ask is because I have a league and simmed over 100 years on it. I started in 1901 and it is currently in 2007. It has a lot of history and I'd like to keep using it. If I can't, it's really not a HUGE deal...but just something I'm thinking about while deciding on a purchase.

Another, is the gameplay a huge step up from 2006? Or would I, being an occasional player the last couple years, be just as satisfied to keep playing on 2006, especially considering I didn't play it a whole lot to begin with?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
The_Offspring187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #342
rem
Hall Of Famer

The 2006 version was awful (sorry Markus), 8/2007 is light years better.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:00 AM   #343
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Is there an almanac in OOTP8, and if so does it include all the years of your history?
There's a complete set of history reports in OOTP8 which is even better than an almanac! There's also an almanac but it's only for saving the box scores and game logs from previous years which would be deleted otherwise.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #344
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Whatever Russ. When someone has 5k posts on an internet message board I'm not going to listen to them bitch for long that they can't afford $6.

He most certainly wants it for free - and if you read the thread they are pretty much offering it for free, you just need to cover the Viatech cut.

If you can't come up with $6, then your time would be better spent fixing that problem then threatening not to buy future versions.

We heard him the first 15 times, he doesn't think you should have to spend $6. He doesn't have to, but OOTPD can't legally provide us with the bug fixes and new features unless someone gets paid to distribute the e-licences.
Do you know anything of why I make no money? I didn't think so. I don't consider you worth telling, but suffice it to say, "fixing" the problem is something that isn't possible. So, before I get a warning, I'm going to stop typing.
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #345
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
Do you know anything of why I make no money? I didn't think so. I don't consider you worth telling, but suffice it to say, "fixing" the problem is something that isn't possible. So, before I get a warning, I'm going to stop typing.
You have a computer, internet connection, you are in a number of leagues and don't have 6 $ for a game? Sorry, hard to believe.
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #346
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Hey guys, could you please stop this discussion? Thank you.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #347
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Offspring187 View Post
Another, is the gameplay a huge step up from 2006? Or would I, being an occasional player the last couple years, be just as satisfied to keep playing on 2006, especially considering I didn't play it a whole lot to begin with?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
OOTP 8 is so much better than OOTP 2006 than words cannot convey the difference. It's the difference between a scrub and a star who just needs to take his game to the next level to be an all-star. Buy the game.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #348
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Hey guys, could you please stop this discussion? Thank you.
"

All viewpoints should be respected, if respectable. Personal circumstances have no bearing on discussion and ultimately very little interest for readers.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #349
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
OOTP 8 is so much better than OOTP 2006 than words cannot convey the difference. It's the difference between a scrub and a star who just needs to take his game to the next level to be an all-star. Buy the game.
Remember we said back then that some of us looked at OOTP 2006 as Part One, to be continued? Not a very popular opinion, but it helped me accept 2006 as the work in progress that it turned out to be. I feel we were rewarded with 2007, and OOTP 8 was a bonus (after some fixes, ahem).
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #350
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

I'm definitely buying the game.

I'm just curious though, will it import my history into these new history pages, or will it only do that stuff when I actually sim a year in my league?

It's really not a huge deal as you can sim a history before you decide to start playing so I could sim from 1901 to 2007 or 08 with ease...I do like my league with history though, so I just kinda want to know what to expect when I load up the game for the first time, and whether to bother importing my old league or just start a new one from scratch.

Has anyone tried to make it where you have college/high school teams feeding players into the ammy draft? This was something I was very interested in with the 2006 version but never got around to.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #351
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Remember we said back then that some of us looked at OOTP 2006 as Part One, to be continued?
Someone referred to OOTP 2006 as "the abomination" and that is how I always remember it. Luckily for us it was also an aberration.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #352
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

I downloaded the demo for now until I get a paycheck. I'm trying to import my 2006 league into it and it always cycles through the messages at first then it always seems to stop on around message1035.txt and seems to freeze.

I wish I could tell if it was really frozen or just "busy" and not displaying anything on the screen. It would be pointless to leave the computer sitting for several hours while the game doesn't do anything.

It may just be easier in the end to start a new league and sim the 100+ year history.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #353
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Offspring187 View Post
I downloaded the demo for now until I get a paycheck. I'm trying to import my 2006 league into it and it always cycles through the messages at first then it always seems to stop on around message1035.txt and seems to freeze.

I wish I could tell if it was really frozen or just "busy" and not displaying anything on the screen. It would be pointless to leave the computer sitting for several hours while the game doesn't do anything.

It may just be easier in the end to start a new league and sim the 100+ year history.
If you have 100+ years of history, it could well take a very long time, even if it appears to have "frozen." With that much data, perhaps the easiest thing would be to just start the process when you go to bed!
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #354
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there is any actual "importing" going on between 2006 and OOTP 8. (There wasn't from 2006 to 2007, that I know of.) So, unless you want to keep a copy in 2006 for some reason, you can just go to Windows and cut the saved_games folder from My Documents\Sports Interactive\OOTP Baseball 2007\data and paste it into My Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 8\data.

It should be MUCH faster that way.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #355
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonor View Post
you can just go to Windows and cut the saved_games folder

Or you could just move it...

Old 12-20-2007, 01:06 AM   #356
CubbyFan23
Hall Of Famer

This may have been answered, but I'm worried about people who own 2007 trying to import backwards if I start developing real world 2007 rosters in OOTP8. Is it backwards compatible? Sorry I'm too lazy to search through this all.
CubbyFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #357
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbyFan23 View Post
This may have been answered, but I'm worried about people who own 2007 trying to import backwards if I start developing real world 2007 rosters in OOTP8. Is it backwards compatible? Sorry I'm too lazy to search through this all.
Yes. Same files work in both.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #358
catcher24
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well, it was nice after wading through 16 pages of complaints over the cost to finally find a bit of information about the game itself. I left OOTP for Diamond Mind due to league considerations, but this release sounds like something I'll buy. But first a question: How easy is it to set up an online league with OOTP8 - or has anyone even tried yet?

Thanks for any answers.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #359
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
Well, it was nice after wading through 16 pages of complaints over the cost to finally find a bit of information about the game itself. I left OOTP for Diamond Mind due to league considerations, but this release sounds like something I'll buy. But first a question: How easy is it to set up an online league with OOTP8 - or has anyone even tried yet?

Thanks for any answers.
Dunno about setting up a new one, but our league converted* from 2007 to OOTP8 and has been running on it for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

*We switched from 6.5 to 2006 a long time ago, so we haven't really "converted" anything in almost 2 years, since it's been pretty much the same file format for that long.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #360
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Web store is down!