Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
psd
Major Leagues

What kind of team do you prefer?

I am the owner of a franchise in Hartford, CT. It started as a 16 team league based in the Northeast U.S. There are 2 leagues, playing an 80 game schedule currently. One based in New England & the other on the eastern coast. After 3 years the AI added 2 expansion teams to the NE league. I am hoping to eventually grow it into a national league of 48 teams at least. Anyways, my team is a small market team. My payroll is about 68 mill on average. 15th out of 18 teams. After the first year, I had the number 1 minor league system, and still do. I finally made the playoffs in year 6 and lost the first round. I won my first championship in year 7, and was swept in the first round in year 8. The team I lost to has won their division all 8 years and has one title. The other league has been dominated by 2 teams one team winning 4 titles the other 2. The payrolls of those teams are 245 mil for the NE league team, and 160 each for the 2 east coast league teams. I just had to trade my ace and a top-notch 2b to my hated rival in the league because they were scheduled to make 18 mill for the pitcher and 12 for the 2b. I can't tie up half my payroll on 2 players. I cannot sign any significant free agents, international or otherwise, because I simply cant compete financially. I build my team through the draft and trades.

And I love it. I have been on both ends of the payroll spectrum, having the highest and now one of the lowest. I think it is a lot more fun now. I don't honestly know if I would ever want a high payroll team again. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer the added challenges.

What about you? Which do you prefer?
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

I like rebuilding. I'm currently finishing off the 2036 season with the Twins and we're a game over .500, 2nd in the AL Central (I love that division....) and in 4th 4 games out in the Wildcard. It's 8/3 now and after an active July trade-o-rama I think I have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs. Added a number of young players, traded a great left fielder for what looks to be a future HoF center fielder and in a most un-Twins like move I traded 4 good prospects to the last place Rockies for a 23 yr old pitcher who is also destined for the HoF. in the 4 games he's started since he got to MN he's gone 3-0 1.84 ERA 29.1 IP 18 H 5 BB and 25 Ks with 2 CG shutouts.

Add in my $31.9+ million I'll have for contracts after this season and I think I'm in the perfect position for long term success.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

I am in a league called The Show, and am the Padres

I am in last in everything when it comes to money, so major FA are a no go, and when I get a great overall player, I have him until arbitration

Therefore I have done the following:

SS who rarely K's, and is a great defensive guy
OFers who have Gap Power, except my CF who needs to be a gold glover
Washed up P's who most teams use as a MR but have great control and are groundball P's
High stuff, no control bullpen guys since they are cheap

I make sure I steal, am aggressive, bunt and move my defense around...I also have 3 utility guys who can play anywhere on the field (again cheap)

Works for me to get over .500, I'll never win a pennant since the GMs who control the Dodgers, Braves and Cubs in my league have tons of money, but...we have something called Points per win, and I broke all records with the lowest payroll and got 300 points.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
MarkVIIIMarc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Those are some pretty neat set ups.

I generally prefer a league with some salary cap. I limit myself to four trades a year now. My teams are usually base stealers and good defensively. For starting pitchers I also like high control guys. The studs are typically too expensive. I spend dearly for excellent middle releaf. Two of them guys pitch as many important innings as a starter and they come cheaper.

My teams are typically playoff bound. I am thinking about limiting my ability to trade draft picks to make things tougher on myself.
MarkVIIIMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
ThePretender
All Star Starter

I like rebuilding and working with low payrolls. I just took the 2013 Marlins roster and within the next 4 years in an online league I had 2 WS appearances (1-1), and pushed my budget up to the top 10.

Generally I avoid speed and get teams that can hit for average, get on base and hit for power. My pitching right now is probably top 2.

I find that being creative with how you structure contracts (frontloading or backloading) can often make a huge difference especially when you're working with low payrolls/budgets. Winning consistently will push up your revenue/budget so that helps if you have a lower payroll team too.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote