Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
dmytron

How to play spectator only?

My question regards mainly OOTP 8 but can be interesting to all OOTP players.

My level of knowing baseball isn't great, and my OOTP management isn't great, too. That's why I think about turning to spectator only. So, how do you play being only a spectator (managing none team)? What's in there for you? What do you look for in stats, players? How do you make the save interesting?

Second question: how to make OOTP management easiest (commish aside)? What to turn on/off, what to select, etc?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I have been playing as a spectator quite a bit lately. What I've been doing is choosing a team to manage(basically in name only), turning everything over to the AI and then I kick back and follow the team just like I follow my real life Detroit Tigers. I watch every one of my teams games from start to finish. Just like watching real baseball, I find myself questioning why a certain player is starting, why a pinch hitter wasn't used. Why a bunt was called for. It's fun to watch a team evolve and grow a history. When a player gets traded it's almost frightening how much it is like real life. You either like the trade or hate it. Then you sit back and see if the the GM was right or knew what exactly what he was doing. I enjoy spectator mode quite a bit.

You don't have to choose a team to manage, but I like to do so, because I get all my teams news. I get the teams schedule and results across the top of my screen. I am notified of players retiring, traded etc.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I watch every one of my teams games from start to finish.
And then you watch all of real Tigers games on TV?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
And then you watch all of real Tigers games on TV?
Actually no. I live in Louisiana and I'm way too cheap to shell out the bucks for the extra innings package. I know it's cheaper to get the games on the internet, but that would cut into OOTP time. I follow the Tigers just like when I was a kid and every game wasn't on television. Boxscores and the newspaper.

Oh, I forgot to mention this as well. There is a forum member that goes by the name of RandyTiger that makes following the Tigers from afar very easy to do. He provides recaps of every single game.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

What part of Louisiana, David?

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Signalbrat View Post
What part of Louisiana, David?
Shreveport.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Interesting...

I am in White Oak, about 65 miles to your west off I-20 near Longview.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Signalbrat View Post
Interesting...

I am in White Oak, about 65 miles to your west off I-20 near Longview.
Ah an OOTP neighbor, very cool.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Indeed. Might to have a get-together sometime.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
HolyCow98
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
What's in there for you? What do you look for in stats, players? How do you make the save interesting?
For me the game is still interesting because of watching the players careers unfold through their career stats. Some guys start out like they are going to be one of the all-time greats only to fizzle out after 5 or 6 seasons. Other guys slowly develop and hit a stride and are able to keep enough skill to play 20+ seasons. Noticing the great games, witnessing the great streaks, following the great careers. I think one prerequisite of playing the game just as a spectator is you have to LOVE the history section and enjoy things to do with the record book aspects of baseball and OOTP itself.

My whole life I have memories of guys chasing milestones. I remember being 5 or 6 years old when Pete Rose had his 44 game hit streak (12 shy of Dimaggio's record) and 6 or so years later breaking Ty Cobb's hit record. Roger Clemens first 20K game. Nolan Ryan becoming the all-time strikeout king and being able to see 2 of his 7 no-hitter's on TV.

In OOTP, even if I'm not running a team (or really even if I am), I try to notice the players who do something great and I feel compelled to follow them as they progress through their careers. I notice the guys who have 300K seasons or 50 HR seasons, or those guys who seem to get 200 hits in a season. I want to see how far they can get their numbers. I want to remember the guys who have thrown perfect games and no-hitters.

I like a lot of different sports but what makes baseball one of my favorite sports to follow from season to season is the history of the numbers and how anything that happens in a game or a current season feels like it is significant to what has happened before and vice versa.

In other sports that I enjoy...Basketball, American Football....they both feel like they lack some of the historical significance in terms of the numbers, or the history.
HolyCow98 is offline   Reply With Quote