Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #81
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
makes a good case for the establishment of a national identity called "generic redneck" - my mistake, that would be a "race".
The vast majority of rednecks have last names of Welsh ancestry.

Never forget that.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #82
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Somehow I don't think this would be a good idea as a steady thing, though. Circumstances as to why you did this?
I've sometimes do it if the starters aren't deep enough, usually end of the season when injuries kick in. I have found from my experience that they pitch well for a couple of games then begin to crumble.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #83
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Thank you for proving my point: there is no logical basis whatever for considering Wales a country (or whatever. You did not answer my question as to what the proper legal status--if any--Wales has), simply the arrogance of its residents.
It is a country moron. Clearly you have a below average reading ability.

"Wales (Listeni/ˈweɪlz/; Welsh: Cymru [ˈkəm.rɨ] ( listen)) is a country that is part of the United Kingdom and the island of Great Britain,[2] bordered by England to its east and the Atlantic Ocean and Irish Sea to its west. It had a population in 2011 of 3,063,456, and has a total area of 20,779 km2 (8,023 sq mi). Wales has over 1,200 km (750 mi) of coastline, and is largely mountainous, with its highest peaks in the north and central areas, including Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa), its highest summit. The country lies within the north temperate zone, and has a changeable, maritime climate.

Welsh national identity emerged among the Celtic Britons after the Roman withdrawal from Britain in the 5th century, and Wales is regarded as one of the modern Celtic nations...."

What was your national identity in the 5th century? Oh that's right..you didn't have one. You speak of arrogance but how do you expect anyone to respond to the blatant stupidity and ignorance of uneducated people who think a country does not exist?

"United States or United States of America Abbr. U.S. or US or U.S.A. or USA

A country of central and northwest North America with coastlines on the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. It includes the noncontiguous states of Alaska and Hawaii and various island territories in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean. The area now occupied by the contiguous 48 states was originally inhabited by numerous Native American peoples and was colonized beginning in the 16th century by Spain, France, the Netherlands, and England. Great Britain eventually controlled most of the Atlantic coast and, after the French and Indian Wars (1754-1763), the Northwest Territory and Canada. The original Thirteen Colonies declared their independence from Great Britain in 1776 and formed a government under the Articles of Confederation in 1781, adopting (1787) a new constitution that went into effect after 1789. "

"Noun 1. America - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific OceanAmerica - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776 "

And so, by this evidence, USA and UK are comparable in terms of how they work, whilst America and Wales are comparable in terms of them being countries

" America
A country that claims the name of an entire continent to itself alone for no compelling reason.
Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians... they're Americans too" -Urban Dictionary.

"Other uses
916 America, a minor planet" -Wikipedia.

The rest of the world knows who is more arrogant.

Next time you want to pick an argument you can't possibly win you might want to go to a night class or something first.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #84
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:

" America

A country that claims the name of an entire continent to itself alone for no compelling reason.

Mexicans, Colombians, Brazilians... they're Americans too" -Urban Dictionary.

The rest of the world knows who is more arrogant.
Well, officially its the United States of America. People just say 'America' and 'Americans' because its easier. I doubt Mexicans, Columbians or Brazilians want to be called 'Americans', they probably just want to be called Mexicans, Columbians or Brazilians since it provides that sense of identity with their country.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #85
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Well, officially its the United States of America. People just say 'America' and 'Americans' because its easier. I doubt Mexicans, Columbians or Brazilians want to be called 'Americans', they probably just want to be called Mexicans, Columbians or Brazilians since it provides that sense of identity with their country.
Exactly my point. Referring to a Welsh (or Scottish, English, or Irish) person as British is just the same. Also note that I included a less fatuous definition of 'United States of America'. The last two were just digs. Unlike our friend Leo I am not uneducated.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-07-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #86
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Exactly my point. Referring to a Welsh (or Scottish, English, or Irish) person as British is just the same. Also note that I included a less fatuous definition of 'United States of America'.
Very educational. Sounds a little confusing to an outsider, but I've always considered Wales to be its own country. Of course, I don't claim to have a master's degree in geography or world history either.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #87
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The vast majority of rednecks have last names of Welsh ancestry.

Never forget that.
I see that you are determined to wear your stupidity as a badge. Therefore I will not respond to you further.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #88
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I've sometimes do it if the starters aren't deep enough, usually end of the season when injuries kick in. I have found from my experience that they pitch well for a couple of games then begin to crumble.
Technically this shouldn't work. But it does.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #89
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I traded Robinson Cano in April of my 1st season. I bet a real Yanks fan would hate that. But to me they are just names and what's another Indian cricketer?

I failed to notice he was leading all my batting charts at the time. All I can say is "the New York Yankees have no weaknesses" mid-season.
Uh, I'd be interested to see "who" you got for Cano, since you're playing with real players. Don't be embarrassed!
Quote:
At least they didn't until my game froze up for the first time and I lost my 3-0 series against CLE and my last 2 important trades.
This is not good. Your league cannot be that old and huge yet to be crashing. Do the usual things: Run disk defragmentation and check disk. Uninstall and reinstall the game (copy your league files someplace else just in case but usually uninstalling and reinstalling will not affect your league). Exclude your game folders from your anti-virus monitoring program. Realize that if you tinker with customizing certain files in the database, you could make the game or your league unstable. Bite the bullet if you discover that the problem is with your league and not the game; start another one after having done the above.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #90
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Uh, I'd be interested to see "who" you got for Cano, since you're playing with real players. Don't be embarrassed!
The full trade looks unbalanced because I used Cano to get rid of a useless guy who was costing 11million:

Friday, April 26th, 2013:
Traded 34 year old left fielder Vernon Wells (i.e. the money pit), 30 year old second base Robinson Cano, (2 half star minor leaguers), and 3million in cash for Justin Verlander 30 year old starting pitcher Detroit.

Basically it was Verlander for Cano+ a dump on Wells that increased my projected income by 7million despite the fact verlander is being paid 20 and irrespective of the added 3. In addition to this Cano was asking for 23million/year over 10 years at the time, I already had a reasonably good replacement at 2B (Ben Zobrist from Tampa that I traded for SP Phil Hughes and MR Jim Miller at the start of the season) and I needed another good starter.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-07-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #91
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
The full trade looks unbalanced because I used Cano to get rid of a useless guy who was costing 11million:

Traded 34 year old left fielder Vernon Wells (i.e. the money pit), 30 year old second base Robinson Cano, (2 half star minor leaguers), and 3million in cash for Justin Verlander 30 year old starting pitcher Detroit.

Basically it was Verlander for Cano+ a dump on Wells.
I'm not a Yankee fan or anything (I'm actually a Red Sox fan), but from a Yankees' perspective, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, if only because I'm getting rid of Wells.

EDIT: From a Tigers perspective, it doesn't look very good, unless they're expecting at least replacement-level production from those two minor leaguers.

Last edited by slugga27; 11-07-2013 at 09:22 PM.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #92
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Basically it was Verlander for Cano+ a dump on Wells.
Hmmm. Not bad. Not bad at all.

- Bru

Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #93
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Hmmm. Not bad. Not bad at all.
I edited that post to include further reasoning.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #94
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
I'm not a Yankee fan or anything (I'm actually a Red Sox fan), but from a Yankees' perspective, I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, if only because I'm getting rid of Wells.

EDIT: From a Tigers perspective, it doesn't look very good, unless they're expecting at least replacement-level production from those two minor leaguers.
Yep, The main reason for ditching Cano was in fact the dump on Wells. Any other attempt to trade him resulted in "Sorry but I will not trade for vastly overpaid veterans" and release was just throwing away money. Cano was the 'bait'. Also Verlander is no CC Sabathia but he's no mug either. Incidentally, the 2 minors were half star potential. *edit* one star actually - but I used them targeting areas where it was reported that Detroit had a weakness (i.e. the bullpen).

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-07-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #95
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

I love that Zobrist trade by the way. The guy is so versatile on the field and also pretty great at bat.
Here is my current full SP rotation:

Colby Lewis
Justin Verlander
CC Sabathia
Jon Lester
Johnny Cueto

With the fairly weak Adam Warren in the pen marked up as Emergency SP (promoted from Scranton I believe). I get quite a lot of shutouts. For important games I will alter the rotation when possible so that the focus is on Sabathia, Lester, Verlander. I didn't like getting rid of Hiroki Kuroda but he was part of the trade for Lester - worth it. And The Reds were stupid enough to direct trade Shane Victorino for Andy Pettitte. This later resulted in a bench dust up between Pettitte and one of his former teammates and a ban for both (love it).

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-07-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #96
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I edited that post to include further reasoning.
I see that. Sound reasoning and good trade. Which calls forth a personal question which I hope you don't mind. Where do you have your trading difficulty set? No criticism or condescension at all intended; I'm just curious.

- Bru

Old 11-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #97
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Wales is most definitely NOT a nation. As your own sig states, you are in Wales, United Kingdom. The UK is a nation, while Wales is...what?

I don't know what the status of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland should be for those of us who live outside the UK. What are those places considered internally?

I do think very strongly that it is an insult to the rest of the world that these non-countries are considered nations by FIFA. The Olympics have this right, there is only one nation and that is the United Kingdom. On the other hand, this Brit arrogance has caused y'all to shoot yourselves in the foot soccer-wise by preventing solid players like Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale from strengthening an English side that should really be the UK.

But Wales? You may as well say you live in Gaul or Camelot.
You're a special kind of stupid aren't you??
Old 11-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #98
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I see that. Sound reasoning and good trade. Which calls forth a personal question which I hope you don't mind. Where do you have your trading difficulty set? No criticism or condescension at all intended; I'm just curious.
I have not altered it.
One strategy I tend to use Re. trades is this (and imo it's sort of broken that it works):

If a team initiates a trade request with you..let's say for arguments sake it's just minor trash for minor trash...
You counter offer your trash (because you know that for some reason the other team wants them) add some MORE trash that is just deadweight (and based on where the other team seem weak)...and swap the other teams offered trash for something (fairly but not too) good. Negotiations proceed from there usually with a favourable outcome. Then (if you don't want to keep them) you use the above traded for 'fairly good' players in the same way to get REALLY good players. In this way you are making good use of players that will never hit the turf of your field. Sure it may work out that you used 20 minor leaguers to get one player...but since there is a 5 man trade limit you would never have done so any other way.

*edit* it's a little more complicated than this and sometimes you WILL have to include players you don't really want to trade to get that star player but you get the general idea.
Also it doesn't work infinitely as you only have a finite number of trash. By season 3 you'll be forced to make genuine trades the same as everyone else. But by then you will no doubt be making good money...winning games...and pulling in nice draftees worth developing.
I didn't play FM for 20 years and learn nothing.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #99
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

But of course once I'm more confident with how baseball itself works and completely familiar with OOTP I will set all difficulties to maximum. Otherwise I've stopped learning...and where's the fun in that?

It is one of the reasons I've ditched FM altogether. I can toy about with it till I'm blue in the face but every year the minor changes don't require radical strategic change is another year that I'm doing almost the exact same thing with different names and numbers over and over. OOTPD your time will come...but look on the bright side, SCI had me for a long time before I quit.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-08-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #100
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't play FM for 20 years and learn nothing.
Yes, the skills would be transferable to some extent, I am sure. Well, it looks like you are off to a good start.

- Bru