Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
ultimatecarlos
Bat Boy

Invalid Position for Player

I can't seem to find any details anywhere, but I have noticed I can't just put players at any position anymore. Does anybody know what determines what positions players can legally play in PT 21?
ultimatecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

It's meant to be determined by whether or not a player can develop a positional rating there. So if someone has absolutely no underlying catcher skills, the game won't let you insert them as a catcher.

At some times, while making a lineup and moving guys around, the error message seems to pop up erroneously though.
FancySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Basically it was put in as an anti-tanking mechanism

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:31 AM   #4
SlinkyTWF
Minors (Double A)

Yes, I just got it for the first time while trying to assign Dick Sissler/65 to CF. In theory, he should be able to develop up to a 7...
SlinkyTWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 AM   #5
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTWF View Post
Yes, I just got it for the first time while trying to assign Dick Sissler/65 to CF. In theory, he should be able to develop up to a 7...
Which theory though? Last years training spreadsheet (which I assume should be left with last years game) or something else you've calculated?

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
diamond3017
Minors (Single A)

I ran into this today when I was trying to move Didi Gregorius to 3B, and an error message popped up.

It took me a few moments to realize that I was trying to swap him with Miguel Sano, leaving Sano at SS, which caused the error. Even though I planned to immediately swap another player in at SS in place of Sano, he wasn't allowed to be there even for a moment.

This is a minor thing that hardly affects my enjoyment of the game, but maybe the error message shouldn't pop up until you actually try to submit a lineup with players out of position.

diamond3017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I think the devs have already acknowledged this and plan to fix it soon:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=312631
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTWF View Post
Keep in mind, especially at the low end of the spectrum, a lot of those online position calculators might be wrong. There's minimum requirements for each position, and while it's not a strict cutoff below those values, the penalties on the low end get more severe which is usually not accounted for.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
willat0660
Minors (Double A)

I just got the message when trying to put Taylor Ward 59 in CF. He plays C, 3B, and LF. No reason why he can't go in CF. In fact, he should be able to take any position.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #10
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willat0660 View Post
I just got the message when trying to put Taylor Ward 59 in CF. He plays C, 3B, and LF. No reason why he can't go in CF. In fact, he should be able to take any position.
I disagree. This is working as designed. I estimate that, with full experience, Ward would achieve a maximum CF rating of -4. Negative four. He's a catcher. There's a big difference between faking it in LF on catcher's legs vs. covering the entire outfield in CF. Sorry, he's not your super-utility guy.

Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:35 AM   #11
willat0660
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
I disagree. This is working as designed. I estimate that, with full experience, Ward would achieve a maximum CF rating of -4. Negative four. He's a catcher. There's a big difference between faking it in LF on catcher's legs vs. covering the entire outfield in CF. Sorry, he's not your super-utility guy.
He's a 45 in LF, a 41 at 3B, and a 24 at C. He has only played 3B and LF in the majors. Kind of silly for the game to not even let you put him there. He obviously COULD play CF, and it let's you put him in RF, even though he's not rated there. Loss of realism for me. I want to be able to put them where I want, and I decide if I want to risk moving him to a new position. I know there are formulas for coming up with a rating for a new position, and the penalty for being out of position is less for an outfielder in the outfield vs. moving behind the plate or infield. Now, in his case, he's played infield, outfield. and catcher, so he has been all over. That's not the type of player you would try to "tank" with.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:05 AM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's a 45 in LF, a 41 at 3B, and a 24 at C. He has only played 3B and LF in the majors. Kind of silly for the game to not even let you put him there. He obviously COULD play CF, and it let's you put him in RF, even though he's not rated there. Loss of realism for me.
Everybody with two legs COULD theoretically play centerfield. I can't see myself out there shagging flyballs though. If he's only a 45 in LF, you don't even *want* his sorry bum in center...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
willat0660
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Everybody with two legs COULD theoretically play centerfield. I can't see myself out there shagging flyballs though. If he's only a 45 in LF, you don't even *want* his sorry bum in center...
Just to be clear, I object to any restrictions. The Yankees put Ron Guidry in CF once (continuation of the Pine Tar game I believe). But, I understand that they have to do something when you are playing with other people, to protect against "tankers".

I usually carry four OF's, one for back up. Can't do that here. The grass in CF is the same as right and left, and it's not like I'm putting the 3B coach in CF. If a guy's a 45 in LF, he should be at least a 20 in CF. This would not be something someone would do to tank, so why can't I do it?

Just hope I'm getting my point across.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

CF is tough. I mean, you can keep him around in LF still and have your primary LF backup CF if you want to keep him on your bench.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #15
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
He's a 45 in LF, a 41 at 3B, and a 24 at C. He has only played 3B and LF in the majors. Kind of silly for the game to not even let you put him there. He obviously COULD play CF, and it let's you put him in RF, even though he's not rated there. Loss of realism for me. I want to be able to put them where I want, and I decide if I want to risk moving him to a new position. I know there are formulas for coming up with a rating for a new position, and the penalty for being out of position is less for an outfielder in the outfield vs. moving behind the plate or infield. Now, in his case, he's played infield, outfield. and catcher, so he has been all over. That's not the type of player you would try to "tank" with.
I don't think the issue of him not being able to play in CF has to do with his overall defensive rating at C, 3B or LF but with a specific quality needed in CF, range. Just a theory but it could be tested - I believe 1B Kevin Millar might be able to play CF even if he's a lower rated LF (42) because he has more range than Ward (45 vs 39).

If that's the case, 40 range might be the trigger to allow to play CF or not.
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #16
willat0660
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipimi View Post
I don't think the issue of him not being able to play in CF has to do with his overall defensive rating at C, 3B or LF but with a specific quality needed in CF, range. Just a theory but it could be tested - I believe 1B Kevin Millar might be able to play CF even if he's a lower rated LF (42) because he has more range than Ward (45 vs 39).

If that's the case, 40 range might be the trigger to allow to play CF or not.
That may be true. I have put a couple of guys in CF with range above 40, and no rating in Center.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #17
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Basically it was put in as an anti-tanking mechanism

Or keep a 1st baseman from developing as a dominating SS for WHALE team to. I LOVE to play teams pitching staffs where Cy Young, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux 100 cards are regulated to bullpen roles. after season said team havinf bullpen ERA under 2 & Starters Under & team around 2.30 with 150+ wins. Happened so much in PT20
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote