Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2016 > MLBM 2016 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

MLBM 2016 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2016, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #41
wodi
All Star Reserve

I've bumped one of my posts in the iootp section that shows some screen shots of what I'm talking about.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #42
BradC
All Star Starter

I'll try to address a few of these:

1. The quotes are coming back.

2. The budget issue has been addressed.

3. I don't think any player likes being demoted, even if they understand why, hence the morale hit.

4. I haven't seen that one before, so we'll see if Sebastian intends to deal with that. Honestly, he may not feel the need to do so, since it's a minor thing, especially if changing it requires dealing with several other things too.

5 & 6. Sebastian will have to address those.

7 & 8. Markus addressed those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2298 View Post
Here are a list of specifics. Some are me just being picky, but some I really feel need to be addressed. Those that fall into the 2nd category have been starred for emphasis.

*1. Add in the quotes/facts from iOOTP 2014!!! They were so good!

2. Fix team budgets. For example, the Reds have $150,000,000 in their budget, when in reality last season their payroll was at a record-high $115,000,000.

3. When you demote a player, their morale shouldn't automatically go down. Oftentimes by the end of the season my entire team has those frowny faces, even if we did well and they get game time, because they've been moved up and down for various purposes such as injuries.

*4. Fictional Leagues still have 14 teams in League 1 (AL) and 16 teams in League 2 (NL). It should be 15/15.

*5. Landscape mode with the volume buttons down (iPhone 5) is super buggy. The buttons are unresponsive, and when they do respond it always selects the wrong thing. I know this is a problem because it works fine when the buttons are up.

*6. The new keyboard that was added is really not good. It's extremely difficult to use it accurately, and I almost always mess up what I'm typing. Please, just use the default keyboard like previous versions!

7. Not sure if this is a bug, but there are numerous players in the Amateur Draft that generate with both pitcher and batter positions. Players should be a pitcher or a batter, not both.

8. Another youth issue is the number of high-rated players that appear in the draft. Oftentimes players are good enough to implement into the team immediately, despite the fact that most players require at least 1 season to develop, with rare cases such as Mike Leake requiring 1 of rest following their college season.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #43
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I'll try to address a few of these:

1. The quotes are coming back.

2. The budget issue has been addressed.

3. I don't think any player likes being demoted, even if they understand why, hence the morale hit.

4. I haven't seen that one before, so we'll see if Sebastian intends to deal with that. Honestly, he may not feel the need to do so, since it's a minor thing, especially if changing it requires dealing with several other things too.

5 & 6. Sebastian will have to address those.

7 & 8. Markus addressed those.
Obviously, no player likes getting demoted, but I don't think any player who was only called up for emergency purposes should be upset when he gets sent back down. As I said, it makes the entire team unhappy before long. It's especially frustrating when you have a player in your opening day roster that should never be there and he starts with default happy morale, but when a player comes off the disabled list he gets angry for being sent down. In real life, a player would likely be understanding and content with the opportunity to play in the majors in the first place.

Also, I have to say I would disappointed if #4 wasn't fixed. It's been an issue since the last version of the game, and I was looking forward to it getting fixed this time around. It really rules out me playing a fantasy league at all.

What frustrates me is that I spent 5 bucks on what is more or less the same game it was last season. It discourages me from considering purchasing the game in the future. I get it if things like the morale won't change, that's just me being picky. However, things like the fantasy league issue is a part of the game that should have been fixed... to say that it may not be fixed if it's too much work makes me, the customer, feel like we're unimportant to you. I understand that this isn't necessarily the case, but I'm just saying what it seems like.
mac2298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #44
Digrdan
Bat Boy

Quote:

What frustrates me is that I spent 5 bucks on what is more or less the same game it was last season. It discourages me from considering purchasing the game in the future. I get it if things like the morale won't change, that's just me being picky. However, things like the fantasy league issue is a part of the game that should have been fixed... to say that it may not be fixed if it's too much work makes me, the customer, feel like we're unimportant to you. I understand that this isn't necessarily the case, but I'm just saying what it seems like.
This is the sense I'm starting to get too.... Brad is doing a great job on here trying to put out fires and working as a go between, but there really does seem to be a philosophy change now.. The game hasn't really changed; in fact the mentality seems to have shifted to revenue over the last year or so.
Not buying anymore versions on the first day like I have for a while, have learned my lesson and will wait and see .. Franchise hockey manager was a $40 unplayable headache and now this great game has been shifted to an ad the last couple years.
Digrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #45
BradC
All Star Starter

This year we added the MLB license, along with some new features like Shop a Player and other things. Not sure how it's the same as last year, honestly.

This game will never be like OOTP, which has a long list of new features every year. That just isn't feasible, especially for a game that's geared more toward a simpler experience.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #46
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Thumbs down

Quote:
This year we added the MLB license, along with some new features like Shop a Player and other things. Not sure how it's the same as last year, honestly.

This game will never be like OOTP, which has a long list of new features every year. That just isn't feasible, especially for a game that's geared more toward a simpler experience.
As I said, it feels like I paid 5 bucks for a license and a roster update. Really not worth it at all. Shopping a player is not a huge addition, and I find the fact that it's bragged about so much a proof of my point; the game really did not change at all.

I'm not looking for an OOTP experience, but if you're looking to bring back your customers every year I think more should have been done. I've already paid for the app, and I don't necessarily regret it, but I have a hard time seeing myself buying next year's version if this is the reality of how things will operate in the future. I honestly could not recommend this app to anyone considering that iOOTP 14 is essentially the same game and free. I just feel you haven't done a whole lot to win your customers over.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #47
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

personally, I love the "shop a player" feature, use it all the time.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #48
IAmC
Major Leagues

I see buying each iOOTP/MLBM yearly version as a way of funding the development of my favourite game. Every year, I'm happy about the incremental changes but disappointed at how similar it is to the previous year. But I don't typically complain about that because the incremental changes are important to me and, really, I get a TON more than $5 worth of enjoyment out of it. I think that it would take two years of underwhelming incremental changes to cause me to stop buying it.

For that matter, I'm sure that I'm in the minority here but I actually buy OOTP (on sale) and not bother playing it, simply because I don't want the company to go under. Why don't I play it? I love the concept of the immersiveness and detail but I simply don't have the time (yes, I have tried to play it years ago). For that matter, I also bought FHM and didn't do much more than start it up a few times. When I'm on my laptop, I don't want to play games. When I'm on my iPhone waiting somewhere, it's a perfect opportunity to start up MLBM.

I can imagine that people might think "must be nice to be able to throw that money around" but I'm not rich at all. I just believe in supporting the company that makes my favourite game and, realistically, the cost of a nice dinner out once a year is really nothing compared to the enjoyment I get from iOOTP/MLBM.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #49
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmuth View Post
personally, I love the "shop a player" feature, use it all the time.
It's a great feature, but is it worth 5 dollars?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #50
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
For me, the indication of which player you were pinch hitting or pinch running for (now found at the top of the replacement player window) was worth $5. I've lost games because of the lack of that feature. I realize that others will not agree but, really, for me it was worth it.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #51
wodi
All Star Reserve

What IamC said is the perfect sentiment. Yes, there were not not huge sweeping changes, but the game is only five dollars. It's about supporting the company. This is not EA sports, iootp I assume generates such a small portion of their revenue that it makes sense financially to spend their time and money on ootp and their other games.

I worry every year that the company will say, ok that's it, we're done with the mobile version. And so I buy the game every year just for the good of the company. I would pay way more each year for the game no matter what they put in it. I don't have the time for ootp, and I thank god that they make iootp.

I don't use shop a player, but the key this year was the mlb license. That change was better than any change they could have made (and that includes a better minor league system, which I'd pay any price the company asked to upgrade that) because it has intoduced the game to so many more people. And that is huge for the long term prospects of the company and the game.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #52
BradC
All Star Starter

In the end, we hope our customers find the game a worthwhile $5 purchase each year. And please don't read that as a flippant statement -- It's simply how we approach it. We add a few new things to the game, update the rosters, bring over AI improvements from OOTP, and put it out. Then we release as couple updates to finalize the rosters and fix bugs.

For those who didn't feel that this year's version was worth purchasing: What would you have liked to see in the game beyond what we included?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #53
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

MLB Manager 2015 Update #1

Quote:
In the end, we hope our customers find the game a worthwhile $5 purchase each year. And please don't read that as a flippant statement -- It's simply how we approach it. We add a few new things to the game, update the rosters, bring over AI improvements from OOTP, and put it out. Then we release as couple updates to finalize the rosters and fix bugs.

For those who didn't feel that this year's version was worth purchasing: What would you have liked to see in the game beyond what we included?
Thank you for the detailed reply. The main inclusions I would have liked to see in the new game were fixes to issues that were present in last season's edition of the game. For example, the fictional league team distribution I had hoped to see fixed, as well as the issue where the game doesn't function properly when the phone orientation if the buttons are facing down. I find these crucial flaws in the game that were present in last year's version that I was looking forward to seeing remedied, but I have been disappointed at this point.

I think the biggest issue I have, however, isn't the lack of improvements but rather the number of issues that this edition added. From the removal of quotes to the addition of the custom keyboard, the game really rubbed me the wrong way. I know that this issue has already been addressed, but again, budgets seem way too scewed, especially compared to last season's version. It's the small things that add up. It just felt that instead of an upgrade, I purchased a different, but not necessarily better (and in some cases even worse), version of iOOTP.

As for additions, I admit I was hoping for a better full-organization experience. Aside from stats for minor leaguers and better indicators of their current ability, realistic roster transactions such as waivers were high on my wishlist. I understand things like this aren't easy to implement, but it would still be nice.

Don't get me wrong. I love this game. I spent hours of my summer on it last year, when I bought it at the end of July, and was eager to purchase this season's version in the first week of release. I feel like the minor improvements and new features that are released each season are acceptable, but when it's paired with multiple crucial exclusions that I felt the developers should have thought of, it makes me feel unsatisfied with my purchase. Hopefully, most of the issues I have mentioned are fixed and my opinion of this year's version will change.

Last edited by mac2298; 04-19-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #54
phillupi
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Brad I love this game. I'm a beta tester and have been a few years. That being said I still purchase the game on another device under a different email as I think it is well worth it.

As far as fixes my main issue is as playing historical updates I love the feature that allows rookies to be available each year as they were historically but I wish there was a way to add teams (expansion) as it was historically or at our discretion. When we get to the eras of 10, 12 and 15 or 16 teams per league we wind up with too many players that were very good but never even play in our leagues because there are only 8 teams per league.

I have other recommendations but this is my biggest concern.

Thanks for asking.
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #55
gekko485
Bat Boy

I would like to be able to form a league from teams of different seasons. Also, would greatly prefer generic baseball backgrounds, rather than the cartoonish graphics.
gekko485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #56
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillupi View Post
As far as fixes my main issue is as playing historical updates I love the feature that allows rookies to be available each year as they were historically but I wish there was a way to add teams (expansion) as it was historically or at our discretion. When we get to the eras of 10, 12 and 15 or 16 teams per league we wind up with too many players that were very good but never even play in our leagues because there are only 8 teams per league.

I have other recommendations but this is my biggest concern.

Thanks for asking.
Aside from a fuller minor-league experience (no, not full minors), this would be high on my list as well. It would have to include changes in playoff methods (e.g. incorporation of the wild cards, etc.).
Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #57
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes.

$40 no, $5 yes.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #58
phillupi
All Star Reserve

For $5 to me it's worth it just for the new updated season. Anything else is additional worth. I see no problem with the way they are progressing.
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #59
wodi
All Star Reserve

MLB Manager 2015 Update #1

Fuller minor league experience.

This would affect both people who play historical and people who play non historical.

I've written my opinion on here at length about how that is the end all be all of improvements to the game. It's the only real complaint I have with the game. Otherwise the game is perfect, I couldn't ask for a better sim experience on my phone

I know the game is not supposed to be as detailed as the main game and that is fine and understandable. It just needs something, some sort of development process that makes the minor leagues not just simply a list of players.

I would be happy to go into more detail about my thoughts and ideas for this, if we could get a bigger discussion going towards making it happen.

Last edited by wodi; 04-19-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #60
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post
Fuller minor league experience.

This would affect both people who play historical and people who play non historical.

I've written my opinion on here at length about how that is the end all be all of improvements to the game. It's the only real complaint I have with the game. Otherwise the game is perfect, I couldn't ask for a better sim experience on my phone

I know the game is not supposed to be as detailed as the main game and that is fine and understandable. It just needs something, some sort of development process that makes the minor leagues not just simply a list of players.

I would be happy to go into more detail about my thoughts and ideas for this, if we could get a bigger discussion going towards making it happen.
I more or less agree, a better Minor League system is the ultimate improvement at this point. I'm extremely happy with the expanded rosters, but I would love for it to be more.