Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

OOTP 14 - The Road To Release, Part 2 Modding: Baseball Dreams Come True

Written by OOTP community member "DCHepler25"

Remember the first time someone showed you how to play dice baseball? How you were fascinated and hooked from the first roll? Do you remember playing out all of your favorite team's games that season? Or maybe every team's games that season? Or maybe, for you, the game quickly became a way to live out your baseball dreams by creating a complete fictional universe played via paper, pencil, and those beautiful dice.

Fast-forward to today and many of us are still playing out the games of our dreams. Some have held on to the paper and pencil. Others have replaced them with a computer and word processing software. But all of us have replaced those beautiful dice with the equally beautiful Out of the Park Baseball series, which lets us play out our baseball dreams the way we like - one roll at a time.

The newest edition in the series, Out of the Park Baseball 14, offers dreamers even more ability to mod their baseball universe. While OOTP 14 continues the tradition of improving many aspects of the AI, this version also includes several new features aimed at the modding community. As a self-labeled modder, I'm most interested in those - so let's see if we can mod that baseball dream.

I Need More FaceGen

There is no better way to fulfill one's baseball dream than to see your players wearing your team's uniforms. So now you're saying, "Hey, OOTP already has caps and jerseys," and you're right. But we aren't going to be satisfied with just one uniform. We want, no, we demand more, and OOTP 14 delivers by giving us the ability to set both home and away uniforms, along with new jersey templates and several baseball cap templates that work the same as jersey templates.

The Team Colors, Logos & Uniforms screen will now have a button for switching between home and away uniforms, along with an additional color selection line for away jerseys.

Presently, away uniforms are available on baseball cards, the in-game screen, and the league schedule screen. In addition, new person pictures (90x135 pixels) with away uniforms will be created, but new player profile pictures will not. OOTP 14 will automatically load away uniforms if the option is enabled and it detects properly named textures, i.e. caps/jerseys_cityname_nickname_away.png. After we announced this feature, modders started working on away uniforms for all the major league teams, so we expect them to be included in the always-popular All-in-One Mod.

The FaceGen feature has also received enhancements, including more FaceGen beards and improved rendering of FaceGen pictures to remove artifacts and eliminate the "see-through" bug and left shoulder bug. FaceGen now uses less memory, which is important when big leagues are updating a lot of player pictures at the same time.

I Gotta Have More FaceGen

Are you the type of player that has multiple logos and uniforms for your favorite team? Do you update your team's look by manually changing the files in-game? If you're like me, you also wish the game would do all the work for you. Stop rubbing that old lamp, my modder friend! OOTP 14 now offers dynamic logos, caps, and jerseys that update automatically as your dream universe progresses. All you need to do is rename your custom files so the game knows when to make the changes, and, like magic, the OOTP genie grants your wish.

OOTP 14 accomplishes this feat through the addition of usage years in the file names. If you want to use a specific logo/cap/jersey during a single year or over a period of years, simply add them to the file name. Want an example? No problem. For my favorite team I want to use logo #1 from 1933 through 1945, then change to logo #2 from 1946 through 1980, and finish with logo #3 from 1981 through the end of time. The following table shows the changes I need to make:

Original File Name Years in Use New File Name
favorite_team_#1 1933 - 1945 favorite_team_1933-1945
favorite_team_#2 1946 - 1980 favorite_team_1946-1980
favorite_team_#3 1981 on favorite_team_1981

With my logo files updated, the magic begins as OOTP 14 checks each year to ensure the correct logo is being used. The magic works the same if you have custom caps and jerseys for different time periods. Remember to follow the correct naming procedure described above. If you use color codes or notes in your file names, just append those after the last year like so: favorite_team_1946-1980_fefefe_000000_optional-comment.png.

When you're done with all those uniforms and logos, you'll probably want to make sure they're correct. There's a handy new report function that shows the logos and home and away uniforms for all the teams in your league on one HTML page.

And if you want to recreate those annual team pictures, now you can: OOTP 14 lets you generate a single picture with the complete active roster's names and pictures.

Databases Where You Want Them, When You Want Them

Now that you have the away jerseys you always wanted and no longer need to manually update your favorite team's look, I suppose you're going to tell me you have more than one baseball dream? I suppose you want to be able to switch between them at will and not have to worry about remembering to change the custom ethnicities, financials, and names files you painstakingly modified to your liking. Since OOTP 14 seems to be granting an infinite number of wishes, what's one more, right?

On the advanced setup screen, you'll find the new Source Databases tab, which allows you to select custom source folders for the database files, logos, caps, jerseys and player photos. (Note: this should be done prior to adding any league to the universe.) After making these selections, OOTP 14 will search the specified folders first. The game will only use the default location if a specific file is not found in the custom location.

"Can I use custom database folders for the league I imported from OOTP 13?" you ask. Sure. All of the options are available on the Database Info screen found on the Game dropdown menu.

The ability to have multiple custom database folders is a game-changer for those who want run their Middle Earth league of hobbits one day and effortlessly switch to their A League of Their Own all-female universe the next. And your saved games will be saved in the custom folder too, so you can install multiple isolated copies of OOTP 14 in parallel for testing or easier modding.

Text-to-Speech (TTS) Improvements

We're approaching the day when OOTP can sound as natural as the announcers on your TV when it's reading the play-by-play. We're not quite there yet, but OOTP 14 makes some strides in that area, including a new pronunciation file, "tts_pronunciation," located in the "misc" folder. Using the SAPI 5 phonetic system, you can edit that file to tell the text-to-speech narrator how to pronounce names. All of the first and last names in the Lahman database are already there!

To enable text-to-speech, go into the Game Preferences before playing out a game. Choose the "Game sound + text-to-speech" option in the "Misc" pane. It works okay in Windows 7, but it's even better in Windows 8, which has seen a lot of TTS improvements. Open the Windows system settings and select a TTS voice to your liking. Mac and Linux users will need to wait a while before they can start using TTS in OOTP.

Additional Enhancements

In addition to the exciting new features above, here are some of the other great new additions and improvements in OOTP 14:
  • Many additions to the storyline creation system, including player suspensions, team winning and losing streaks, main actors, and more
  • Revamped fielding development and pitching staff usage.
  • Recoded Player Creation model, resulting in more realistic players.
  • Multiple new screens providing easier access and deepened immersion.
  • Lots of changes to the data export system to give better support to 3rd party tools.
  • Bug fixes and more!

OOTP 14 puts a host of new tools, a redesigned and improved user interface and countless functional improvements all under your control so you can mold your mega million dollar major league franchise, shape your small market independent start-up, or mod your baseball dream to its maximum potential.

The game is truly yours for the taking, so play it your way!

Out of the Park Baseball 14 - The Grand Slam of Baseball Sims! Pre-order your copy today and download it on April 12, 2013, three days before the official release on April 15!

Last edited by BradC; 04-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

WOW excited about the away jersey. That should be a "back of the box" feature to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Cras
Hall Of Famer

More...I must have more!

More RTTR I beg you!
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
justafan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
In addition, new person pictures (90x135 pixels) with away uniforms will be created, but new player profile pictures will not.
Booooo!!!

I was really hoping that the player profile pictures would be created too.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
BradC
All Star Starter

More entries in the RTR series are on the way, Cras. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafan View Post
Booooo!!!

I was really hoping that the player profile pictures would be created too.
Why would you want to see the profile picture with an away uniform? Doesn't make much sense IMO...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
More...I must have more!

More RTTR I beg you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7Rscu3QAc
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
BradC
All Star Starter

I don't know why it's putting so much empty space above the table. Can't figure it out. Oh well.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I am demanding one a day!!! ��
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

These can only be for new leagues?
One universe I have multiple leagues & at it's peak. MLB, ***, Cuba, 4 fictional leagues. This will be the 1st league I convert to 14.
I would love to be able to use use uniforms for each of these instead of having to manually change them. I have one team that changes their home & away cap every year from 2012 - 2045. Thanx Irrecula.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
justafan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Why would you want to see the profile picture with an away uniform? Doesn't make much sense IMO...
Just for a change of pace. I'm always changing logos and uniforms just because I get tired of seeing the same thing. Maybe it's just me.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
cardsfan05
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
WOW excited about the away jersey. That should be a "back of the box" feature to me.
Are you serious? Back of the box?
cardsfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan05 View Post
Yup, for immersion. And note that I said for me it is. I've played OOTP for over a decade now, so the little things get me really excited. This is something I've wanted since face gen was introduced.

Your mileage may certainly vary.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Databases Where You Want Them, When You Want Them

Now that you have the away jerseys you always wanted and no longer need to manually update your favorite team's look, I suppose you're going to tell me you have more than one baseball dream? I suppose you want to be able to switch between them at will and not have to worry about remembering to change the custom ethnicities, financials, and names files you painstakingly modified to your liking. Since OOTP 14 seems to be granting an infinite number of wishes, what's one more, right?

On the advanced setup screen, you'll find the new Source Databases tab, which allows you to select custom source folders for the database files, logos, caps, jerseys and player photos. (Note: this should be done prior to adding any league to the universe.) After making these selections, OOTP 14 will search the specified folders first. The game will only use the default location if a specific file is not found in the custom location.

"Can I use custom database folders for the league I imported from OOTP 13?" you ask. Sure. All of the options are available on the Database Info screen found on the Game dropdown menu.

The ability to have multiple custom database folders is a game-changer for those who want run their Middle Earth league of hobbits one day and effortlessly switch to their A League of Their Own all-female universe the next. And your saved games will be saved in the custom folder too, so you can install multiple isolated copies of OOTP 14 in parallel for testing or easier modding.
This is per universe or per league? As in I have one universe called "Game 1." In "Game 1" I have three leagues. Can I choose a different database path for all three leagues or only for "Game 1"?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan05 View Post
This is a big thing. I can remember people asking for away jerseys going back to 2006 when OOTP was rebuilt and we got FaceGen. So this is a pretty big feature and one that will be greatly appreciated by many long time OOTP'ers.

I don't give two licks about it, but I know for the community it will be a big one.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
This is per universe or per league? As in I have one universe called "Game 1." In "Game 1" I have three leagues. Can I choose a different database path for all three leagues or only for "Game 1"?
It's per game. This is intended to allow users to more easily use modded database files like names. Those cannot be split up by league anyway.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's per game. This is intended to allow users to more easily use modded database files like names. Those cannot be split up by league anyway.
Thanks! That's what I thought, I just wanted to clarify. Very, very nice feature!!
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It would be cool to be able to split name files per league, but I get that it might well be a lot of work for something that very few people would use.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
koohead
Hall Of Famer

bit confused on the Away uniform feature add. What exactly does that get me? is it that randomly my players will have away jerseys in their pics? or is it that when I"m playing away, they will automatically switch to Away jerseys for that game? maybe some in game screen shots showing where/how away uniforms will be used can help clarify my confusion.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a feature that will save me a ton of time, thanks for adding it! It will make it much easier to try out different things in leagues.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote