Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
chort
Minors (Single A)

Pitchers constantly getting bombed, what to do?

I'm playing with the Yankees and even though there are several pitchers on the team with very strong ratings (Sabathia, Burnett, Soriano, Rivera, Robertson, Chamberlain) every single one of them is getting lit up. I don't think I have anyone on the staff after 8 games who has an ERA under 6. To make matters worse two of my starting pitchers suffered injuries in the first few innings of a game.

I'm watching pitch counts and talking to my pitchers to see how tired they are. What can I do to cut-down on run-away games?

Also there doesn't appear to be any indication of what configuration my defense is in. Do I have to change it for every batter, or does my last assigned defense stay until I manually change it?

If I could just figure out how to keep opposing teams from scoring 7 runs a game it would be a lot more fun :\
chort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
don't think I have anyone on the staff after 8 games who has an ERA under 6.
...after 8 games.

Stop it, people.
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos View Post
...after 8 games.

Stop it, people.
To Carplos' point, it's hard to draw any conclusions after only a couple of weeks. Give it more time--IRL even Tim Lincecum had a bad month last year, with an ERA of 7.00 or something outrageous like that. Your staff is just having a bad stretch as a group.

Give it time. If they're still struggling after half a season, then you might have a problem. As the coach, everyone will probably want to blame you for mis-handling and over-working your staff.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
donhunter
Bat Boy

Me too

My pitchers are constantly getting shelled, too. After 13 games. But I suspect that in my case, it's because I'm playing with the Pirates!
donhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
bphilipb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos View Post
...after 8 games.

Stop it, people.
Exactly!!! Right on Carplos.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
chort
Minors (Single A)

They've settled down now for the most part (2 or 3 with good stuff/movement still get beat-up consistently). I also noticed that playing outfield in vs. weak hitters and deep vs. strong hitters has seemed to cut down on the hits. The final tweaks have been guarding the lines late in close games, and recognizing when I can pitch-around the strong/hot hitters in the lineup in RBI situations.
chort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Or stop overmanaging and let your pitchers pitch

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhunter View Post
My pitchers are constantly getting shelled, too. After 13 games. But I suspect that in my case, it's because I'm playing with the Pirates!
You only SUSPECT?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote