Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Can MLB go too late?

With talk of the MLB season being pushed into November or, with a Scott Boras "Christmas World Series" idea, is it pushing the players too far to end a season in November or December then turn right around and start again in late February to put the MLB seasons back on regular track? I mean I know they are pro athletes in good shape, but that's a pretty fast turnaround. Plus, you aren't going to be able to enjoy your championship very long.
This is all way hypothetical, but it is interesting discussion.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
With talk of the MLB season being pushed into November or, with a Scott Boras "Christmas World Series" idea, is it pushing the players too far to end a season in November or December then turn right around and start again in late February to put the MLB seasons back on regular track? I mean I know they are pro athletes in good shape, but that's a pretty fast turnaround. Plus, you aren't going to be able to enjoy your championship very long.
This is all way hypothetical, but it is interesting discussion.
Going up against the trio of the NFL and NBA and college football would be very dumb.

The best idea would be to shorten the regular season and play the normal playoffs and end at your normal time. Wrap up the regular season when basketball is getting started and before the midpoint of the football season.
And if we saw a 120 or 110 game season besides finances would fans have many objections? Probably not.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 03-26-2020 at 12:04 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of cold weather baseball either.

I would rather they play some double-headers (while allowing more roster flexibility) to make up some games.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

A shorter season is the only reasonable course.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

As teams in stupid climates for the sport discover almost every April, you can't play baseball in three feet o' snow. Twins and Rockies fans probably know what I'm going on about.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I realize that many will disagree, but a wacky schedule - the season stretching into Nov & maybe even Dec, lots of doubleheaders (some of the 7-inning variety?), games (regular and playoff) moved to sunny locations or indoors, a neutral site World Series given the Super Bowl treatment, and whatever other quirks - sounds very fun to me. Combine that with the other major sports all, possibly, happening at the same time and perhaps dealing with their own scheduling quirks? Bring it on!
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

In the Matrix, the Architect told Neo "there are levels of survival we are prepared to accept". I don't think MLB wants an entire calendar year w/o the game. If it means pushing the envelope on what a "credible" season constitutes, they are willing to go that route.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Baseball players are people of routine. This season has already messed with that routine. Playing into December would then also mess with next year's routine as well by shortening the off-season. Better to have a short season this year and end at the normal time than mess up two seasons.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

I’m not sure the owners would sign off on games being played in warm weather spots in November or December. Which would be the only way it would work because it just gets too cold. It also messes up the business side of baseball. When would FA starts for instance? I was reading that Boras has been pushing the neutral site World Series for a long time. I don’t know what his personal angle is but I would guess it has something to do with him making a lot of money. He is excellent at what he does. I agree with all the posters suggesting a shortened season as the only realistic solution. (If they play at all). Although baseball is my personal #1, football is king in this country. I think baseball would be making a gigantic reach if they think a neutral site World Series would draw the same attention as a Super Bowl. I would also submit that for a lot of diehard NFL guys, championship weekend actually trumps the Super Bowl, because they are played at a home teams stadium. I just don’t see people traveling to support a team for a potential 7 game series. From a fans perspective it makes less sense. I support a team all season with season tickets for example but when I get to see high level playoff baseball they take it to another location? I just don’t see it working.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 03-26-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

My opinion --- Baseball will start June 1st and operate a shortened season, much like the strike season . 4 months ( J, JY, A, S ) will give you time to play 110 game schedule . Limit inter-league play ** it will make the World Series more interesting . Then tighten the schedule on the playoffs to get it done by October 23 ....

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote