Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
daves
Hall Of Famer

Season 51 (2069) - Discussion thread

This could be the last season discussion thread for PT 2.0 since PT 3.0 is just days away. There were some good post last week. Feel free to post your season discussion for 2069 - Season 51 as the one year mark for PT2.0 is near.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

You can tell we're transitioning because this thread didn't get made until Tuesday...

Frogs are exploring max offense ballpark factors this week, over the pleading/whimpering of the pitching staff. We're in a pretty soft division in P405, but there are some pretty strong teams speckled about the league proper. Content Guru Kris Jardine's Snagglewolves (1 PL title) and the Tahiti Good Boahs (3 PL titles) are duking it out in the AL East. Towers of the Dub AAA (0$) also is in the division and also has a PL title, but you wouldn't suspect that looking at their 19-31 record right now. The AC Central features a trio of strong teams, all with a PL medallion count divisible by 3: Budapest Red Devils (6), Gashouse Gorillas (9), and Miami Jaws (3). The familiar YakAnglers have a tough road ahead...in fact, I think the "T" should stand for "tough road ahead." In the AC West, Defense Wins Championships (1 PL title) is the only bedazzled one.

The NC features a thinner roster of PL titleholders. The Las Vegas War Pigs (1 title) are leading the East, OH LORD YEAH! Guitar riff...drum roll. The Telderoth Wizards (1 title) are leading the Central as the 2-time PL titlist Lucky Charm struggle to a 22-31 mark (weird team history...haven't won in a long time). The Frogs have no other previous PL title-holders in their own NC West, but the Detroit Dreamers have been pesky, righty-cheesing me to some upset wins lately. That's what I get for posting a win over them headlined "La Crosse Fighting Frogs Trounce Dreamers, 10-3" in Discord. Payback is a muther.

Oh, and I have inserted 100 Yaz in as a 3B this week and with some luck, he'll max out at 29 there.
Attached Images

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 03-10-2020 at 11:19 PM.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #3
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Well, after flirting with Perfect Series glory last week, the 'Glou are flirting with relegation this week. 19-35, and leaking the most runs of any team in our conference. 4 of our starters have ERAs over 6! Of course, being in the same division as the Everett Aqua Sox and the Detroit Wolverines will do that to you.

So, seeing as this season is definitely already a bust, I've decided to train up 88OVR Rookie of the Month Tommy Edman (pulled in a pack last week) as a utility. This has seen me move Ketel Marte to the outfield full-time and send Jesse Burkett to the reserve roster. I'm not going to do anything to the pitching. FIP is a whole lot lower than ERA, and anyway, I'm in the same division as the Aqua Sox, so what would be the point? The Aqua Sox are 44-9 so far. I am proud that the 'Glou have inflicted 1 of those 9 defeats

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

The Warbirds are in P474 this week.

The AC East is the landing spot and it holds 3 other multi PL champs. This is a first, by having 4 of 5 being with more than 2 medallions in their division.
There is only one other single Pl champ in the AC.
The right side or NC has a sole/single PL champ as well..

Regardless the Warbirds are the Vegas favourites despite the tough division.

Only other note of interest so far is the Midwest Toy.
Name:  midwest toy.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  276.2 KB
Old 03-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The Tigers who have won an average of 111 games the last 5 weeks are on pace to win 89 in an impressively weak division. The leader is the Trenton Bulldogs who I believe to be an abandoned team who have managed to only twice win 90 games in perfect. They are using a deliciously illegal 26-man roster somehow, calling on a 100% rested reserve player to start everyday. Note the clever abbreviation for this team's name.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 395
Size:  163.3 KB

In 2nd place are the Franconia Red Foxes, a former tanker team that got religion and has since recovered, but generally a sub .500 team at perfect. Both teams are on record pace, while my team is on vacation.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
The Tigers who have won an average of 111 games the last 5 weeks are on pace to win 89 in an impressively weak division. The leader is the Trenton Bulldogs who I believe to be an abandoned team who have managed to only twice win 90 games in perfect. They are using a deliciously illegal 26-man roster somehow, calling on a 100% rested reserve player to start everyday. .

26 man roster? I don’t understand how this is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Gooden was having such an off year he tried his LEFT hand...

Name:  lefty gooden.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  52.3 KB

..and it worked!
Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macacks View Post
The Warbirds are in P474 this week.

The AC East is the landing spot and it holds 3 other multi PL champs. This is a first, by having 4 of 5 being with more than 2 medallions in their division.
There is only one other single Pl champ in the AC.
The right side or NC has a sole/single PL champ as well..

Regardless the Warbirds are the Vegas favourites despite the tough division.

Only other note of interest so far is the Midwest Toy.
Attachment 678243
In the 6 games against this team the Warbirds have gained 32000 PP in JUST the GOLD achievements vs this team. There will be countless other PP from silver and below achievements. If they were in our division it would be worth a pretty nice perfect card...

So...does tanking affect the game?
Old 03-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
So...does tanking affect the game?
Yes, in a very positive way! You just have to be lucky enough to have one in your division or thereabouts.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The public shaming in my last post fired up the team to a 24-3 stretch to surge the front of my division by 2.5 games at the All-Star break. (Four games up in the loss column). I spent the last of my points on the richest contract ever for the Tigers on a single player: Elmer Flick, who takes over for Roberto Clemente 93 in RF, although its Harry Heilmann that loses his job. Flick wasn't the player I was seeking, but I got tired of waiting for SE Ashburn to show up. It was not too long ago that Collingwood sold Flick for 300K, so 130K seems like a great bargain. Henceforth, the Tigers will be a pack only team, as AH activity dries up. 7 Golds remain on the roster including starters at catcher (Burgess), SS (Pesky/Boudreau), and 3B Boggs (87). Borbon survives as the lone gold pitcher after consistently outperforming Sutter (89). There is also Tony Perez (89) starting at 1B vs LHP and Maddox (87) backing up LF and CF.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #11
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

The Warbirds opened up a 9 game lead in the hotly contested AC East.
The 4 multi PL champ (see previous post) division is living up to the hype.
The division is home to 4 of the top 6 teams in the entire league with all of them on pace for 100+ win seasons.

Kid Nichols, in his first full season, is leading the pitching staff with a 12-3 1.86 ERA.
Rivera has 25 SV's and 0.99ERA.
Yelich is leading the hitters .319/.385/.974 24HR 84RBI.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #12
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Stay healthy everyone!
Old 03-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Fighting Frogs sent 10 of their 25-man roster to the All-Star Game (which was played without a live audience, I'm told). The list of honorees: Wheat, Ashburn, Bonds, Ozzie, Collins, Cash, Simmons, Ruffing, Coveleski, and Brecheen. SE Zack Wheat (.387/.439/.692, 19 HR, 93 RBI) was the top vote-getter.

The ballclub is currently enjoying a 76-23 record (+457), which is a whopping +200 ahead of any other team in P405. That being the case, our pitiful 7-10 record in one-run games and Gashouse's 18-7 record in such contests means the Frogs only have a 4-game lead for top overall playoff seed.

The max ballpark factor approach seems to fit this week's roster construction: the club is 43-9 (.827) at home versus 33-14 (.702) on the road. The offense is humming (.325/.418/.552 as a team), 1st in WAR (41.5), OPS (.970), wOBA (.417), runs (854), and HR (169). Even so, 100 Yaz (.320/.411/.530, 14 HR, 51 RBI) has been undergoing a trial-by-fire as the primary defender at 3B. He's trained up to a lofty 23 rating at the hot corner while committing 25 errors in 71 games (.825 FLDG%, -19.6 ZR). One minute he's pulled from a pack and the next, he's mucking things up at a strange position. Almost seems like 100 years ago when he won the Triple Crown...

The pitching staff is being asked to make some personal sacrifices so the team can mash an optimal number of dingers and such. In so doing, no Frog SP has an ERA below 3.32 (RB Pedro). In the usual season, Ed Walsh has been "like a rock" according to Frog fan Bob Seger. But, this season, Walsh is getting it handed to him with a 5.15 ERA. That's vs a more reasonable 3.55 FIP, so maybe 100 Yaz is racking up most of his negative ZR with Walsh on the mound. The starting rotation has an ERA of 4.06 and that would be about 1.25 runs-per-game higher than your typical season. Taking one for the team, they are.
Attached Images

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 03-12-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #14
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The 'Glou have fought their way to 46-56 (it helps that we haven't played the Aqua Sox for a couple months - still 9 games left against them, though). After a 8-20 May we went 15-12 in June and are 12-8 so far in July.

I tinkered with my lineup order as well, moving Aparicio (yes, 66OVR Aparicio) up to leadoff. Why in the name of good gravy would you do something like that, Izz? No reason other than that I wanted to see what would happen (plus, I have his bunt for hit set to max, and leadoff seems to be the best spot to maximize that). Anyway, he's slashing .300/.325/.361 for an OPS+ of 90.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Johnny-O!

Handing them just their 17th loss on the long season...! [couldn't find the sweet-swinging smilie]
Attached Images

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Update on the Exxon Valdez...

Name:  midwest toy.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  282.9 KB
Old 03-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #17
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Gooden was having such an off year he tried his LEFT hand...

Attachment 678276

..and it worked!
I got some poetic results using Blue as a starter. Don't remember exactly, what rhymes with Blue that would be the headline?...

But got an anomaly in an article recently as well...

Came back stating that Trout had hit a 3-R HR for the other team in the bottom of the 9th to stake them to a 6-3 lead that did not hold up.

Linescore read we were up 6-0 & Trout hit a 3-R HR in the bottom of the 9th for the other team, but that was it, final score 6-3.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #18
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
The 'Glou have fought their way to 46-56 (it helps that we haven't played the Aqua Sox for a couple months - still 9 games left against them, though). After a 8-20 May we went 15-12 in June and are 12-8 so far in July.

I tinkered with my lineup order as well, moving Aparicio (yes, 66OVR Aparicio) up to leadoff. Why in the name of good gravy would you do something like that, Izz? No reason other than that I wanted to see what would happen
Decent reason to make a change, I'd say.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #19
rburgh
All Star Reserve

And back at the Diamond level

I have 6 teams going, 3 serving as cannon fodder in PL's and 3 doing well in the Diamond level. One of the DiL teams was the recipient of 5000 PP courtesy of a Tommy John perfect game. Another received 4000 PP for posting a 16 game winning streak, fueled by a couple of teams in its division giving up the ghost and selling off all their marketable Diamonds. The third is leading its division without anything special happening, it just seems to do enough to win more than it loses.

Quick update - one of my cannon fodder teams recently took a 59-90 record into a game against the Stellenbosch Maties. It won. The next day, it won again. As a reward for this performance, it began a series against the Jersey Revolutionize. So far, it has won both games that have been played in that series. How about that! a 4-game win streak against two teams that currently have a combined record of 218-90.

Further edit - Jersey broke my winning streak with a 2-1 victory as Cy Young outdueled Eddie Plank. But the mini win streak lifted me out of the relegation pool, so I may be able to come back for another flogging next week. Fortunately, I won't be paying much attention to my PT20 teams for the next month or so while I get my PT 21 teams off the ground.

Last edited by rburgh; 03-14-2020 at 08:44 PM.
rburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

The Tigers finish hot, hot, hot and win the division by 21 games. Ty Cobb (96) snatches the batting title on the last day ahead of HOF Simmons, by going 2 for 4 while opening the game in style for 50 PP. Since the All-Star break, the team was 51-16 better than anyone in the league and won 110 overall. It was at the All-Star break that Elmer Flick joined the team and he slashed .355/.426/.537 to lead the post-break surge. Expensive closer Rich Gossage (OVR 100) led the league in saves, but blew 5 and lost 8. The 4.5 walks per 9 is hoped to be an aberration not to be seen again for many seasons. Zack Wheat can also steal bases and becomes the team's first 20/20 player. Gaylord Perry finishes 18-9 for the 3rd year in a row, but his ERA is creeping upwards, from 2.xx to 3.xx to 4.xx.

Next up is the Greensboro Grasshoppers (abbreviation GRE) who have a lot of new players since 4 weeks ago. That's noteworthy because Collingwood bought peak Pedro for a cool 1 million points 4 weeks ago from a team abbreviation of GRE. After that, we hope, we can expect to face the Santa Maria Ghost Riders, who have 13 perfect league titles. The Tigers are not afraid after pasting them 7-0 during the regular season although regression to the mean is an unfortunate likelihood. If we can do half a game better than half as well, the team will have no fear in the finals.

Edit: Upon further review, it's not the same GRE. However, peak Pedro did win the triple crown, the first Magpie to do it since Cy Young in 2049.

Last edited by bailey; 03-15-2020 at 01:07 AM.