Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #1201
Kobeck
Major Leagues

yeah.... while possibly true if fact we dont take plays away from them do we?
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #1202
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeck View Post
yeah.... while possibly true if fact we dont take plays away from them do we?
No we don't. But that wasn't the point. It's an "if you did" experiment. That just shows it's not just elite players being allowed in.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #1203
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Eli was never even in the conversation as a top 5 QB in any season he played

I'll never understand the argument that he's a HOFer. The advanced analytics weren't a fan of his either. He was top 15 in DVOA just 3 times in his career (never higher than 9th). Meanwhile, he ranked outside the top 30 just as often. His typical range was 16-20 with a few seasons in the mid 20s

He was an average starter by any metric you look at, the definition of a compiler

But hey, being QB for a NY team and winning a SB that others don't expect you to win seems to fit a very specific niche of allowing average QBs into the Hall, just ask Joe Namath

Edit: I will say that at least the one thing Eli is remembered for was done on the field as opposed to Namath's guarantee

Last edited by ezpkns34; 02-01-2020 at 12:40 PM.
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #1204
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
Eli was never even in the conversation as a top 5 QB in any season he played

I'll never understand the argument that he's a HOFer. The advanced analytics weren't a fan of his either. He was top 15 in DVOA just 3 times in his career (never higher than 9th). Meanwhile, he ranked outside the top 30 just as often. His typical range was 16-20 with a few seasons in the mid 20s

He was an average starter by any metric you look at, the definition of a compiler

But hey, being QB for a NY team and winning a SB that others don't expect you to win seems to fit a very specific niche of allowing average QBs into the Hall, just ask Joe Namath

Edit: I will say that at least the one thing Eli is remembered for was done on the field as opposed to Namath's guarantee
Along with Brett Favre, two of the most overrated QBs in NFL history. Especially Brett. Some of the worst plays in NFL history that I have ever seen he provided.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #1205
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

NFL 2019 Thread

Jim Plunkett in before Eli
He deserves it more the Eli does
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #1206
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
For those questioning if Eli should be hall of fame or not, I'll pose one question. Is there a player in the hall of fame where you can take away a single play from his career and he would not be a hall of famer? Can you find one? In any sport?

Take away that helmet catch which was mostly luck, and no one even has this conversation about Eli.

Not a play, but take away a guarantee and Namath isn't in the Hall of Fame.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #1207
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

There is more unnecessary ceremony before a SB than a royal wedding officiated by the pope.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #1208
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
There is more unnecessary ceremony before a SB than a royal wedding officiated by the pope.
And then we get to the halftime show. The usual disclaimers: I'm not a prude and I like sex as much as the next man. But that show was over the top.

They should have dialed it down some because kids are watching and for another reason, quoting my wife: "It works against women by cheapening them. They look like dancing whores. Pole dancing, immediately followed by a kids' choir? What did those girls think and what will they take away?"

Many people just don't know class, grace, and subtlety as they used to, unfortunately. Too bad for fans of the reverse, too: The more they see, the quicker they are going to get bored.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-02-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #1209
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

I can't remember the last time I watched a halftime show. But Shakira was in this one, cannot be missed. They could have done without Bad Bunny coming out dressed like a bullet.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #1210
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'm an old fart and I'm going to own it. But I believe they need to get rid of the halftime show anyway. It's insulting to the game to pretend you need gimmicks for the most important game of the entire year.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #1211
pilight
All Star Starter

I miss Up With People
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:41 AM   #1212
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
And then we get to the halftime show. The usual disclaimers: I'm not a prude and I like sex as much as the next man. But that show was over the top.

They should have dialed it down some because kids are watching and for another reason, quoting my wife: "It works against women by cheapening them. They look like dancing whores. Pole dancing, immediately followed by a kids' choir? What did those girls think and what will they take away?"

Many people just don't know class, grace, and subtlety as they used to, unfortunately. Too bad for fans of the reverse, too: The more they see, the quicker they are going to get bored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'm an old fart and I'm going to own it. But I believe they need to get rid of the halftime show anyway. It's insulting to the game to pretend you need gimmicks for the most important game of the entire year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
I miss Up With People
All of this ^^^^. Absolutely.

Get rid of the all the lip-synced, dance-fest garbage at halftime. Bring back Punt, Pass & Kick and show the finals of that instead. Followed by a marching band. And then some over-analysis of the first half by Boomer Esiason and Dan Dierdorf, followed by highlights of "the NHL game played earlier today."
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #1213
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

the super bowl is an event watched by 100 million people in the country, not just a game for old grumpy men
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #1214
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The SB was the most watched program every year before they started the halftime fiascos.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #1215
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Least the half time show gave us a respite from having to see Mahomes every couple minutes on the sideline, never thought someone chewing a gumshield was so interesting but the broadcaster's must have thought it was.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #1216
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Joe Montana led the 1993 Chiefs to their first ever AFC Championship game.

True or false?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #1217
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I usually hate halftime shows, but I think this was the best one I can remember. Shakira's hips don't lie.

The (minimum) sexuality didn't bother me as much as others. Not many people outside of this country would bat an eye over it; we are a bit overly prudish here. Shakira had me mesmerized, though.

Did I mention Shakira?

Also, ping DraftDodger
Old 02-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #1218
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
The (minimum) sexuality didn't bother me . . .
If you thought the costumes, the hip thrusts and fanny squats in the direction of the camera, and the sliding up and down the poles, among so many other visual clues, was minimally sexual, then you are in danger of what I said above: "The more they see, the quicker they are going to get bored."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #1219
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
If you thought the costumes, the hip thrusts and fanny squats in the direction of the camera, and the sliding up and down the poles, among so many other visual clues, was minimally sexual, then you are in danger of what I said above: "The more they see, the quicker they are going to get bored."
Oh noes, the slippery slope!

If our Lord wasn't testing us, how would you account for the proliferation, these days, of this obscene rock and roll music, with its gospel of easy sexuality and relaxed morality?
Old 02-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #1220
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Oh noes, the slippery slope!

If our Lord wasn't testing us, how would you account for the proliferation, these days, of this obscene rock and roll music, with its gospel of easy sexuality and relaxed morality?
Ragtime! Shameless music that'll grab your son, your daughter, with the arms of a jungle animal instinct!
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote